The Things They Carried The Things They Carried discussion

Payton Farr, The Things They Carried

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Payton (last edited Dec 30, 2017 11:24AM) (new)

Payton The Things They Carried is a fantastic book that takes every single angle of war and gives the reader a perspective on it. Tim O'Brien, actually being a character in the book, gives detailed stories on the war and how they changed his personality, ideas, and relationships. This stories go from scaring a rookie to reflecting on the death of a friend, yet the book keeps you engaged by its feeling. With every death experienced and every story told, O'Brien expresses his feeling in such a meaningful way, you feel like you are at the Vietnam war with him.

I honestly thought this book was a masterpiece. The way it tells its stories from every perspective makes you feel like you are there, as I've already said. It really makes you think about how war effects people and their lives. It also shows the reality of war. The horrifying deaths that imprint into O'Brien's mind get branded into your thoughts as you read the book, giving a realistic feel to the book. I would not be opposed to picking this one up and reading it again.

I think an underlying theme in the book is shown by how the characters interact with each other. All the different friends, even though they are in war, still have good times together, laugh, and make memories. This theme expands the perspective of how you can look at war or battles. The soldiers that battle with one another can be friends, they aren't controlled robots that must kill. That's another reason I love this book.

I read some reviews of the book, and I love what people are saying about this book. They take the initiative to really look into the depth of this book instead of looking at the surface of the Vietnam war. One reviewer, a girl named Emily wrote, "The beauty of this book lies not necessarily in the war stories at its center, but rather in the undulating, overlapping entanglements that are people's lives, in the act of using storytelling as a means of recapturing our histories, bringing the many facets of our so often fragmented selves forward into the present day." I love what she says about the deeper meaning of this book. She understands how this book is portrayed and how its meant to be looked at. This books deeper themes and its powerful development of characters really makes this book what it is.

Daniel I love your review Payton. I agree it is a masterpiece, mostly because of it relationships, perspective, and the way it blurs the line between a fictional and non-fictional book. If you like that Tim O'Brien book, Going after Cacciato is great as well, and similarly, takes place in Vietnam (though with a drastically different story).