Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 4: Mt. Ararat (48 books) > Kendyle’s climb 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments For two years I’ve climbed Mt Vancouver, it’s time to set my sights higher.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Well done! Good luck with the climb :D

message 3: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 1. The Long Walk by Richard Bachman The Long Walk
This is a reread for me. I first read it when it was published as a collection, The Bachman Books, in 1985. After doing some long walking of my own this past summer on the Appalachian Trail, i decided to revisit the story. It’s amazing how much I didn’t remember! It still captivated me and kept me greedily turning the pages right to the end. 5 stars.

message 5: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 3. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame The Wind in the Willows I have been meaning to read this book for years. Family legend is that my Grandfather was named Kenneth Graham after the author because this was his older sisters favorite book , back in 1908!

message 6: by Kendyle (new)

message 8: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 6. Dust by Charles Pellegrino Dust
I really liked this apocalyptic story. Different scenario than typical

message 9: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) You're off to a great start!

message 10: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 7. Beat the Reaper (Peter Brown #1) by Josh Bazell Beat the Reaper This was a quirky read! I got the book for a 1.00 somewhere.,.The price sticker is still on the front.

message 11: by Kendyle (last edited Mar 10, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

message 12: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 9. The Witch of Hebron (World Made by Hand, #2) by James Howard Kunstler The Witch of Hebron This is the second book of this series. I really enjoyed the post apocalyptic society it creates. I bought all the books in the series after I read the first book in the series last year. World Made by Hand

message 13: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 10. Evicted Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City Great book! Really enhanced my understanding of poverty.

message 16: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 13. Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1) by Jeff VanderMeer Annihilation. I’ve had this book in my Audible cache for awhile and decided I should get it read before deciding wether or not to see the movie. I didn’t find the book as interesting as I thought I would. The authors writing was descriptive and poetic, but there was way too much of this and way too little action. Really, this book is more a prequel for the rest of the trilogy and it left me feeling like I was denied a true story. I probably won’t go see the movie or read any more of this trilogy.

message 17: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 14 Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff by Pappy Pariah Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff There is a reason this book was a freebie on Audible. It is one of the worst books I have listened to. At one point one of the characters say, “focus Bob, you are losing the reader”. But unfortunately it didn’t improve after that point. Zero Stars!!

message 20: by Kendyle (last edited Apr 07, 2018 08:55AM) (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 17. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1) by Chris Grabenstein Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library Great little book. Fun read! Sometimes you just need to read a young readers book. 5 stars

message 21: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 18. Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3) by Susan Wittig Albert Hangman's Root Quick, fun little mystery. 5star

message 22: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 19. The Devil's Garden Facts and Folklore of Perilous Plants by Edward R. Ricciuti The Devil's Garden: Facts and Folklore of Perilous Plants I got this used book from one of the Gardens I volunteer at and have had it for awhile. It was written in the 1970s about perilous plants. The chapter on recreational drugs derived from plants ( marijuana, opium, heroin, cocaine, tobacco) was hysterical when viewed from current information (and different political views). 3 ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

message 24: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 109 comments Kendyle wrote: "20. Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton Good Morning, Midnight"

Trying to reduce how many books I purchase, but I bought this in January. I hope it was good!

message 25: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments Pamela, i did enjoy it!

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 109 comments Great! Sounds like it was a good purchase. Looking forward to reading it.

message 27: by Kendyle (last edited Apr 25, 2018 07:02AM) (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 21. Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1) by Terry Pratchett Moving Pictures This is book ten in a whole series of Disc World books by Terry Pratchett’s. A friend gave me the whole series about 3 years ago and I am slowly working my way through them. They are usually a quick read and very humorous. 4 ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

message 28: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 22. Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ This was an awesome book. I “read” it on Audible. I would highly recommend the audible because it’s read by the author and he dose phrases in multiple African Languages ( which he than translates). It was fascinating and enlightening about life in South Africa.

message 33: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 27. Ultra Metabolism: The Simple Plan For Automatic Weight Loss Basically another book that says eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat protein and avoid refined carbs, sugar and high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated fats. I did like the statement “If it comes with a label of ingredients, don’t eat it” but eat whole natural foods

message 34: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 28. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale I read this book when it first came out in the 1980s. It inspired my love of dystopian fiction. I decided to reread it with the release of the new show (which I have yet to watch). It was like reading it for the first time! How much we forget in 30 years! Still a great book. ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

message 35: by Kendyle (new)

message 38: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 32. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts Shantaram I listened to this on audible (43 hours). The writing and descriptions of India and friendship and love are beautiful but i can’t say i enjoyed the story about the authors life as an escaped convict hiding among the criminal elements of India, and i didn’t care for the ending at all, as the notes after imply the book was written in prison, but no explanation of how he ended up there again.

message 39: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 33. 14 by Peter Clines 14 I liked this quick little syfy read from Audible. I think I actually got it free or as a reduced special, but it’s been in my kindle library and I was just looking for something short ( just finished Shantaram at >1000 pages and am currently reading Pillars of the Earth at 973). I really liked it and thought it was an entertaining read/listen. Now back to my long novel!

message 44: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 60 comments 38. The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1) by Ken Follett The Pillars of the Earth I hesitated to read this book just because of its length (I find I’m often looking for the shorter reads in my TBR), but I’m so glad i finally picked it up and read it. This was an awesome book.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 34 comments I like this book too. The last book that came out in the series is on my TBR shelf.

message 46: by Kendyle (new)

message 48: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Didn't know if you saw this on my wall, so here it is, just in case.

Regarding Don Quixote, I listened on scribd to the version by Naxos Audiobooks Complete Classics Unabridged, narrated by Roy McMillan. Hope that helps!

« previous 1