Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > WHAT ARE YOU READING IN 2018......

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 1404 comments Mod
So this is for 2018.....
Please post after 2018...thank you!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Best (ambest) | 10 comments Currently reading Killman Creek by Rachel Caine. I finished Stillwater Lake and was instantly hooked on her writing and was happy to find the second book. Also looking to read Silent corner by Dean koontz.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Briceno | 6 comments Amanda wrote: "Currently reading Killman Creek by Rachel Caine. I finished Stillwater Lake and was instantly hooked on her writing and was happy to find the second book. Also looking to read Silent corner by Dean..."

My friend mention this series and you are the third so I think I am going to take the recommendations and begin this book to start the new year read thanks!

message 4: by Betsey (new)

Betsey Anderson (banderson00563gmailcom) You will love it Karen! I am currently reading Murder House by James Patterson

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Briceno | 6 comments Betsey wrote: "You will love it Karen! I am currently reading Murder House by James Patterson"

@Betsey Love James Patterson, I have read his Alex Cross books and his and Maxine Paetro Women's Murder Club. I was so lucky when The ALA Annual Conference came to Orlando had the opportunity to be one of the first readers before public publication of Cradle and All and Gone Girl. Have you read these?

message 6: by Betsey (new)

Betsey Anderson (banderson00563gmailcom) Karen I have not but look forward to reading more of his books

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Briceno | 6 comments I just got the Stillhouse Lake book can't wait to start it!

message 8: by Betsey (new)

Betsey Anderson (banderson00563gmailcom) Karen let me know what you think!

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris | 684 comments Betsey wrote: "You will love it Karen! I am currently reading Murder House by James Patterson"

That a good book. On our Patterson month we discussed it. Not sure what book I'll be reading next considering everything I have to choose from. I am trying so hard not to buy any more books until I have room on my bookshelves.

message 10: by Betsey (new)

Betsey Anderson (banderson00563gmailcom) I have so many books also! And I always take advantage of the free nook and kindle books so I always have something lol!

message 11: by Chris (last edited Jan 08, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

Chris | 684 comments Betsey wrote: "I have so many books also! And I always take advantage of the free nook and kindle books so I always have something lol!"

Well that's my problem too. My real problem is that I don't really like reading off a reader rather hold the book and that's where my problem starts. Have to be proud of myself since I did not buy any books since right after Thanksgiving. Not that I don't want to.

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Fitzgerald (vickifitzgerald) | 33 comments I just read Good Me Bad Me and found it a great debut book that I couldn't put down. Now reading The Betrayals

message 13: by Crumb (new)

Crumb I finished Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda.. and loved it.
Here's a link to my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 14: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 3 comments @vicki what do you think of the betrayals? i was thinking about picking it up.

i'm currently rereading a book by samuel Bjørk. idk the english title because i read it in dutch but literally translated it would be called 'i travel alone'
it is a really good thriller and the first in a series

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Fitzgerald (vickifitzgerald) | 33 comments @Tessa. I am enjoying The Betrayals though it took a while to really get into it if I am honest. I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I travel alone sounds good - I'll look into it Thanks x

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie Vaal Currently reading The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter!!! It’s sooo good! A little difficult to get into at first but now I can’t put it down!

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris | 684 comments Katie wrote: "Currently reading The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter!!! It’s sooo good! A little difficult to get into at first but now I can’t put it down!"

I think I have that book on my shelf not sure. I am putting it off because last book I read by her wasn't all that great.

message 18: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 348 comments Just finished reading The Rooster Bar by John Grisham! It was really good.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris | 684 comments Vickie wrote: "Just finished reading The Rooster Bar by John Grisham! It was really good."

What year did that book come out. I am so far behind reading the authors I truly like.

message 20: by Ashwija (new)

Ashwija (theunfathomablesoul) | 1 comments I am reading My sister's bones by nuala ellwood

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Livingston I am reading blood fury by JR Ward

message 22: by Anne (w/ an E) (last edited Jan 27, 2018 07:10PM) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 117 comments Currently reading The Troop, by Nick Cutter.

message 23: by Betsey (new)

Betsey Anderson (banderson00563gmailcom) Sandra I love the Black Dagger Brotherhood

message 24: by Ronda (last edited Jan 27, 2018 06:54PM) (new)

Ronda (ronda1223) | 2 comments Nothing to LoseCurrently reading the Jack Reacher series....and I am addicted. :) I am reading them in published order and have now started Nothing to Lose.

message 25: by Hanna (new)

Hanna Takala (hannatakala) I’ve started a journey with Arne Dahl recently, because he was recommended in the ISTJ FB group.

On the other hand I’m also starting to getting to know Vince Flynn. Him I deciced to read after seeing the American Assassin movie and realizing my error (I usually want to read the book first).

message 26: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 281 comments Vickie wrote: "Just finished reading The Rooster Bar by John Grisham! It was really good."

What year did that book come out. I am so far behind reading the authors I truly like.

Chris,

The Rooster Bar by John Grisham came out in 2017. I have it on my to read list as well.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Livingston Betsey wrote: "Sandra I love the Black Dagger Brotherhood"

those are my favorite books of all.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris | 684 comments Jimmie wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Just finished reading The Rooster Bar by John Grisham! It was really good."

Chris,

The Roo..."

Thanks Jimmy. It's a new Grisham book. I gonna have to put it on my TBR maybe.

message 29: by Jim (last edited Feb 02, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments I just started DOCTOR SLEEP last night. It is the "sequel" to The Shining, which was one of the best books I ever read. It actually gave me the willies! I found Doctor Sleep to be altogether different. Like, I bailed on it because of the graphic (and I thought gratuitous) descriptions of child molestations and rape. In short, it made me sick at heart. I don't know what has happened to Stephen King, but I don't think writing stuff that's totally disgusting does the trick. It's not scary or spooky.

In my opinion, when a writer goes over the edge with these excruciatingly abusive descriptions he is doing a real disservice to victims everywhere. Then it becomes a cheap ploy to sell books. Is this stuff Noir? I dunno. I've read some Noir and found it over the edge, too. Yunno, I've been out there in the world and have been to the otherside. It's a grim and disgusting business. Something not to be vicariously pimped out to make a buck. That's my view and I won't write that kinda crap. Suspense? Thriller? Scary stuff? Yeah, sure thing.

Maybe it's a fine line and I am making too much over it. Maybe I've experience too much suffering and misery out there to appreciate its commercial value as a commodity for mass consumption. In the Psychological Thriller Genre we do skirt the edges and deal with some real sickos. We're not timid folks here. It's just that gratuitous pandering really gets me going.

Coming back from the Vietnam War (they call it the American War) I was faced with all the prejudice. Yeah, I sucked it up and kept on. What irked me, however, was all the books and movies that came out during that time where every psycho killer and to be (coincidently) a Vietnam Vet. Was that just to solidify the authenticity of a character's repulsiveness? It was an easy jab, and everyone seemed to "get" it awright. Now we got whole new generations of veterans to hang the nation's collective guilt upon.

Yunno. What goes around! Huh?

So I removed Doctor Sleep and the Shining from my online bookstore and I will nip both of them from my reading lists.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it. It this is too much I will just delete it all upon request. Sorry.

Jim in MT

message 30: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 117 comments Starting I Let You Go.

message 31: by Chris (last edited Feb 09, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Chris | 684 comments I am almost done reading After Anna a soon to be released book by Lisa Scottoline as with our group read this book also touches on how well do we really know our families.

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments Just finished All The Pretty Girls by J.T. Ellison and started See How She Dies by Lisa Jackson, then onto Lisa Scottoline for the group read

message 33: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 117 comments Chris wrote: "I am almost done reading After Anna a soon to be released book by Lisa Scottoline as with our group read this book also touches on how well do we really know our families."

This sounds great. I am looking forward to reading it.

message 34: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 348 comments Sorry Chris - for some strange reason - I’m no getting my GR Notifications. I didn’t see your question about the Rooster Bar, until now. Wonder what happened? It’s John Grisham’s new book.

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Hi All! I'm new to the group, so getting used to things. I've started reading Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter.

message 36: by Alison (new)

Alison  Boniface | 10 comments I loved that book by Karin slaughter Shannon. Hope you enjoy it too

message 37: by Chris (last edited Feb 12, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Chris | 684 comments Well went to my bookshelf and closed my eyes and grabbed a book and I picked Troublemaker by Leah Remini. Hey I remember back in 1979 when someone gave me a book to read my L.Ron Hubbard, I read a few chapters and said to myself that's it not interested in reading about a cult. Little did I know that it would become a religion.

message 38: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 1404 comments Mod
I didn't know Leah Remini wrote a book?

message 39: by Chris (last edited Feb 13, 2018 08:49AM) (new)

Chris | 684 comments stephanie wrote: "I didn't know Leah Remini wrote a book?"

Yep. Right now I only reading it to find out what happens. Not sure if I'll finish it. Curious to find out when she decided to quit the religion (cult) was it while filming King of Queens. Actually I got the book b/c it has pictures in it.

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments There's a film out where they interview people who had been raised from birth indide this organization. They were very active as adults ... and then the bulb lit up in their head! The film is about their revelations and they are not happy campers. Sorry I don't remember the title. It's on Netflix.

message 41: by Jimmie (new)

Jimmie | 281 comments Jim wrote: "There's a film out where they interview people who had been raised from birth indide this organization. They were very active as adults ... and then the bulb lit up in their head! The film is about..."

Jim, I believe the book/movie your are referencing is Going Clear by Lawrence Wright.

I read the book Troublemaker by Leah Remini. I found it was an excellent book.

message 42: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Stankewitz I'm currently reading Into the Black Nowhere, it's interesting so far. After that, I'm planning on reading Find Her

message 43: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 117 comments I am currently reading an ARC of Our Kind of Cruelty, by Araminta Hall. Because of the unreliable male narrator, it reminds me a little of You.

message 44: by Krissy (new)

Krissy loves to read (goodreadscomkrissy_o) | 1 comments I’m currently reading Good Me Bad Me

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Best (ambest) | 10 comments Currently reading Good daughter by Karin Slaughter & rented a book from work called Her Darkest nightmare by Brenda Novak

message 46: by Anne (w/ an E) (last edited Feb 18, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 117 comments Finished Our Kind of Cruelty Our Kind of Cruelty by Araminta Hall , which I loved. Starting The Breakdown The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

message 47: by Anne (new)

Anne | 5 comments OOOh, I loved Our Kind of Cruelty too!

message 48: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (oscarmayerwilde) | 1 comments I recently finished He Said She Said by Erin Kelly, and it was quite the wild ride. I’d definitely recommend it.

message 49: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 117 comments I am reading The Other The Other by Thomas Tryon and so far, it's a great story.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Best (ambest) | 10 comments Would love a few good books to get into? Thanks!

« previous 1 3