Book Snails Book Group discussion

Currently Reading -- 2018 > What are you reading, JANUARY 2018?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by StarMan (last edited Dec 30, 2017 10:46AM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1866 comments Looking forward to a specfic book for your first read of 2018?
Got a new series in mind?

Need an idea for a new read? Check out our polls at
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

or some popular 2018 reading challenge books:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/2018...

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 735 comments Mod
I got Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic for Christmas and hope to finish it in January.

message 3: by Kelsey (last edited Jan 04, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Kelsey Currently, I'm reading The Edge of Lost, and I'll also be participating in our monthly read, so add Red Queen in there, too! I'm reading The Clique too, but more of as a side thing, because I've been into rereading series from my teenage years. They're a nice little escape from work and the world :)

I've also started reading London, but since that book is over 1,000 pages, it's going to be my yearly read :)

message 4: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Gosh, I have some that I'm in the middle of but as a new read? Probably Artemis whenever I get it back from book hold craziness. LOL

message 5: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1866 comments Kelsey, that big book (London) sounds really interesting. Maybe I'll tackle it when I get in the mood for another doorstopper / historical fiction ;)

Reading:
1. The Ship by Antonia Honeywell
2. The Magicians by Lev Grossman
3. Phases by Elizabeth Moon

and I'm considering these next for Jan. or Feb.:
McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland
Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by V. Aveyard
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey StarMan wrote: "Kelsey, that big book (London) sounds really interesting. Maybe I'll tackle it when I get in the mood for another doorstopper / historical fiction ;)

Reading:
1. The Ship by Antoni..."

I'm only 1% into it, but I like it so far! It starts out with the druids and Caesar's invasion, and, I'm assuming, the author connects life throughout all of London through the druids. I'm fairly sure the book stops either during or a little after WWII, but everyone I know who's read it has really enjoyed it! My aunt said his New York book was even better.

message 7: by Bkwmlee (new)

Bkwmlee | 422 comments I’m currently reading The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin and also The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani. Both are ARCs that come out next week so I’m trying to get them in before the publishing date.

For the rest of the month, I’ve got a bunch more ARCs lined up…not sure if I’ll finish in time to meet publishing timeframe but definitely going to try! These are my planned reads for January:

Everything Here Is Beautiful by Mira T. Lee
Little Reunions by Eileen Chang
Everything You Came to See by Elizabeth Schultze Martin
White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht
Blood Sisters by Jane Corry

message 8: by Karla (new)

Karla Jaimes | 6 comments Just finished reading
“If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look On My Face?” by Alan Alda and I’m just starting
“Words can change your Brain” by Andrew Newberg & Mark Robert Waldman.
This year my goal is to read one book a week. To accomplish this, I’ve been getting up 30 minutes earlier so I can get some reading before all the chaos begins in my daily life.
Everyone’s book choice so far seems very interesting, and I can’t wait to hear what y’all thought about your choices.

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Bkwmlee wrote: "I’m currently reading The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin and also The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani. Both are ARCs that come out next week so I’m trying to get them..."

Both White Chrysanthemum and Blood Sisters sound interesting! Can't wait to see what you think :)

message 10: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Karla wrote: "Just finished reading
“If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look On My Face?” by Alan Alda and I’m just starting
This year..."

Great goal, Karla! I envy you for being able to get up a half hour earlier to read. I would love to do that as well, but I can barely roll out of bed when my alarm goes off at 7:20 am :P

message 11: by Karla (new)

Karla Jaimes | 6 comments Kelsey, your comment me laugh. Thanks, I needed that.

Have any of you seen this book bouquet? I just sent this link to my husband as a Valentine’s day hint.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/klon/

message 12: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1866 comments Karla wrote: "...Have any of you seen this book bouquet? I just sent this link to my husband as a Valentine’s day hint.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/klon/"

~~~~~~~~~

Pretty Neat. I saw the plush book titles, and immediately thought, "Why hasn't someone mashed up Alice + Oz + Dracula into a brand new story?" :)

message 13: by Karla (new)

Karla Jaimes | 6 comments Wow Starman!! That would be a great concept for a book!! I’m quite intrigued.

message 14: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1153 comments Mod
Karla wrote: "Just finished reading
This year..."

That's an awesome goal, Karla! I commend you for attempting to read a book a week! I wish I were more of a morning person and/or didn't need as much sleep as I do; then I'd get up super-early to get my "goal" reading in too! So much of my personal reading goes by the wayside because I'm so in love with my pillow! Lol You'll have to keep us updated on your progress, ok? ;-)

message 15: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Bkwmlee wrote: "I’m currently reading The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin and also The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani. Both are ARCs that come out next week so I’m trying to get them..."

That's a nice mix of titles for January! Good luck ;-)

message 16: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Karla wrote: "Just finished reading
“Words can change your Brain” by Andrew Newberg & Mark Robert Wald..."

SAME! Lol

message 17: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Karla wrote: "Kelsey, your comment me laugh. Thanks, I needed that.

Have any of you seen this book bouquet? I just sent this link to my husband as a Valentine’s day hint.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/klon/"

Wow!

message 18: by StarMan (last edited Jan 10, 2018 07:20PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1866 comments Karla wrote: "Wow Starman!! That would be a great concept for a book!! I’m quite intrigued."

Working Title: Alice in Undeadland (The Alice Continuum, Book #1)

...in which 20-something year-old Alice (while texting, walking, and chewing gum simultaneously) trips diagonally and upside-down through a quantuum hole in the time-space continuum, and finds herself stranded on (view spoiler)

message 19: by StarMan (last edited Jan 10, 2018 09:48PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1866 comments darn it, it's sort of been done already, by at least 2 authors:

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter Alice in Zombieland by Nickolas Cook

ok, maybe I'll go with alternate ideas:

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments I finally read P.S. I Still Love You and Always and Forever, Lara Jean. I'm much better at completing series if I just wait until all the books are out to read the first one. Making a dent in my partially completed series this year is on my list of goals.

Also currently reading Lab Girl and The Goldfinch, the latter has been in progress for about 3 months. I am going to finish though!

message 21: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Brandyn wrote: "I finally read P.S. I Still Love You and Always and Forever, Lara Jean. I'm much better at completing series if I just wait until all the books are out to read the f..."

Good luck with The Goldfinch, Brandyn! I'm still slowly making my way through it too! ;-)

message 22: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I finished my list and then some!

I read:
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
The Edge of Lost by Kristina McMorrisKathleen Grissom
The Clique by Lisi Harrison
Best Friends for Never by Lisi Harrison

Started but haven't finished yet:
London by Edward Rutherfurd
Just Kids by Patti Smith
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

I can't believe we only have one more day in January, but at the same time, this month has felt forever long!

message 23: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Oh man I epically failed at doing any type of decent reading this month. I had family here the first week, then school started back up for the kid the second week, got hit with the flu the third...Ugh. I'm just exhausted. Is it summer yet???

message 24: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Lupe wrote: "Oh man I epically failed at doing any type of decent reading this month. I had family here the first week, then school started back up for the kid the second week, got hit with the flu the third......"

That's why we're Snails, Lupe. There's no rush! Hopefully you've all recovered from the flu. It's been awful this year.

message 25: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

It was pretty rough. I'm just glad the kid didn't get sick. He would have been miserable! But we did start listening to The Lightning Thief on the way to school everyday, so that was nice! I guess I could say I've done SOME reading lol!