Superheroes and Comic Book Club discussion

Superheroes and Comics in 2018

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) | 787 comments Mod
Any thoughts about where we should take this group in 2018?

I originally set it up to read superhero / comic book related prose novels and non-fiction. There are so many regular comics groups out there, I wanted to create this little niche. But also allow everyone to discuss comics in general, and even comics-related properties like movies, TV, games, and anything else on anyone's mind.

And I've enjoyed it!

Should we stick to a new book every couple months? I like what the group was originally set up to do. Any thoughts about getting more engagement?

Let me know!

message 2: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 2 comments I vote for a new book monthly.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 53 comments I like reading books each month. I also recommend picking books with only a few reviews as optional reads. A way to help more indie authors.

message 4: by Allan (new)

Allan Douglass | 47 comments Mod
I like the idea of continuing to read prose monthly or so. There is a lot of decent to great stuff in the genre, and it is slowly growing due to independent publication options, this is a good place to find / try reads in the genre.

message 5: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

I'm all for the idea of keeping up a monthly read - but I cut that to every 2 months just because we had a lack of nominations and a lack of people actually reading the monthly book.

Why don't we get some nominations going on this thread? If we have enough, I'll set up some separate votes for the next couple of months (one book per month). If we only get a few, I'll set up a vote for a book to read January/February.

Radiant Lotus  (amandaradiantlotusfineart) | 2 comments Nominations on this thread? I nominate the New Ghost Rider, Felipe Smith, if it hasn't been done.

message 7: by Allan (new)

I'll put up Corpies by Drew Hayes. It's an offshoot of his excellent series "Super Powereds", and while it does have extremely minor spoilers to reading that series it stands alone and shows what a fun and thoughtful writer he is.

Corpies

message 8: by Mary (last edited Jan 02, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

message 9: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 31 comments I've read comics and fanfiction but never a prose novel involving the character, so I put up:
Supergirl Age of Atlantis by Jo Whittemore Supergirl: Age of Atlantis by Jo Whittemore
It came out in November of last year.

message 10: by Allan (new)

Mary wrote: "Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story by Marion G. Harmon

The Cloak Society by Jeramey Kraatz"

--second for Wearing the Cape, also a fun indie series. Starts well enough, gets better as it goes.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (mirymom) | 39 comments I’d love to participate, but I have a lot of commitments this year in terms of things I promise to read for review and for my critique groups. Plus I’m keeping up my own writing schedule.

So, if monthly works for everyone else that’s great. And I’ll participate during the months that I can.

Superhero novels in my TBR tight now are: The Gifted Dead by Jenna Black, Cassidy Jones by Elise Stokes, After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughan, Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks, Ex-patriots by Peter Cline, Hero by Perry Moore, How Like a God by Brenda S Clough, Double Down by Gail Bond, an anthology called The Side of Good/ The Side of Evil, an anthology I’m in but haven’t read the other stories in yet The Good Fight 3.

message 12: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2018 07:47PM) (new)

It looks like we have some options!

If you want to see the books we've already read, please take a look at the first comment in this discussion.

I'll leave nominations open until Wednesday midnight, then post a poll for 4-5 days. Maybe we'll take the top 3 and make those our January, February, and March reads?

What do you think?

If you want to nominate, please keep in mind that they are to be prose novels or nonfiction books. (Related to superheroes and comics.)

And if you want to nominate, I love what people are doing - please put a link to the book. That will help me make the polls.

Glad to see some interest!

(Also, we ask that authors not nominate their own books - if you want to discuss your book, feel free to do so to your heart's content in the Author's Corner section of the group.)

message 13: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 53 comments Three superhero books I’ve recently enjoyed are:

The Bestiary, Dispensing Justice, and Jade City.
The Bestiary by Ryan Woods Dispensing Justice (Nova Genesis World, #1) by Fritz Freiheit Jade City (The Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee

message 14: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Also - please note whether or not you are sharing these books to be nominated for a book of the month.

On some of the posts, I can't tell if you're asking for books to be nominated, or if you're just sharing books you're reading or want to read. Which is fine! I just need to know the difference if I'm going to post a poll to vote on them.

message 15: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Lealos (sslealos) I nominate Peter Clines Ex-Heroes

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wright (kevin_wright) | 2 comments This one's a stretch. It's only comic-book-related because it's by Alan Moore, but has anyone here read Jerusalem? At over 1200 pages, I think that one's a group effort.

message 17: by Lovish (new)

Lovish | 1 comments I've been meaning to go on reading more about the Star wars universe. So, I'd recommend
Darth Plagueis (Star Wars Legends) by James Luceno

message 18: by David (new)

David Wilbanks I noticed 2 comics I read this year were not applied toward the 2018 challenge. Is this standard? Action Comics #990 and 991.

Thank you.

message 19: by David (new)

David Wilbanks Never mind. Figured it out.

message 20: by J. (last edited Jan 03, 2018 10:20PM) (new)

J. | 2 comments I haven't finished reading this book yet, so I'm hesitant to nominate it because it might not stick the landing, but I've really enjoyed it so far -- All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault

It walks the line between pastiche and parody and is very comical but also tells a superhero origin story for a group of young college women who suddenly get powers.

*Update -- finished it. I really enjoyed this book! I will say it is definitely more of a parody and pretty meta about the way it calls out superhero, horror, and urban fantasy tropes, really utilizing them as part of the world's magic system, but I think it was really well put together.

message 21: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Woods | 6 comments I'd like to participate also but I'm currently swamped with readings for my tutoring jobs. I'd definitely recommend "The Psychology of Superheroes: An Unauthorized Exploration" edited by Robin S. Rosenberg and "Batman and Psychology: A Dark and Stormy Night" by Travis Langley. I read both as research for my Master's thesis on "The Dark Knight Returns" and found both very insightful.

message 22: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

This is what I did - I took the nominations and set up a poll here.

I've set it to end Tuesday at midnight to give everyone a few days. We'll read the first place book in January and the second place book in February (based on the feedback of everyone wanting one book per month).

If I didn't include a book you thought you nominated, I'll try to address that here. If I missed one, I apologize! But please let me know.

message 23: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Amanda wrote: "Nominations on this thread? I nominate the New Ghost Rider, Felipe Smith, if it hasn't been done."

Hi, Amanda! Thanks for the nomination, but I didn't include it in the vote because it was a graphic novel - we primarily read prose novels in this club. We did a graphic novel of the month (I think in 2016) but the admin who was running that hasn't been able to be as active.

message 24: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Samantha wrote: "I’d love to participate, but I have a lot of commitments this year in terms of things I promise to read for review and for my critique groups. Plus I’m keeping up my own writing schedule.

Samantha - those are some good picks you listed; some are on my to-read list, too. I wasn't sure if you were nominating all of them (some of them we've already read), so I didn't include them in the vote.

message 25: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Kevin wrote: "This one's a stretch. It's only comic-book-related because it's by Alan Moore, but has anyone here read Jerusalem? At over 1200 pages, I think that one's a group effort."

I just took a look at Jerusalem! It sounds weird, but interesting. And a bit daunting. I didn't include it because it wasn't really comic or superhero-related.

message 26: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Lovish wrote: "I've been meaning to go on reading more about the Star wars universe. So, I'd recommend
Darth Plagueis (Star Wars Legends) by James Luceno"

Hi, Lovish! Thanks for the recommendation, but I didn't include it because it's kind of outside the scope of comics-related or a superhero novel.

message 27: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Ryan wrote: "I'd like to participate also but I'm currently swamped with readings for my tutoring jobs. I'd definitely recommend "The Psychology of Superheroes: An Unauthorized Exploration" edited by Robin S. R..."

Ryan - I think I'm going to do a non-fiction book for March! I'll start a thread with nominations, and make this the first two!

message 28: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

It's a tie! Since we're in the middle of January, let's make both books Jan-Feb. That way we can have more time to read them.

Supergirl: Age of Atlantis
Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (mirymom) | 39 comments Good choices! Hopefully they will fit in my reading life during that time frame.