Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Erica Garner, daughter of Eric Garner has died.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Sowa | 227 comments For those unaware: This was the daughter of Eric Garner, who was killed by a police officer 3 years ago for selling "Loosies" (single cigarettes).

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/e...

Do as you will, mods.

message 2: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 12 comments Adam wrote: "Do as you will, mods. "

??

Is this type of post not allowed here?

message 3: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I only first heard about her for the first time yesterday evening European time, but as I saw on Twitter she was a real warrior.

Let's make sure she is remembered for who she was - a black woman, mum, daughter, auntie - fighting for justice, with plans and dreams.

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Sowa | 227 comments Nyssa

It's a bit cryptic.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Sowa | 227 comments MeerderWörter

Now if one can only get other areas of social media on the ball.

Again: Cryptic

Must have been late after noon
I could tell by how far the child's shadow stretched out
And he walked with a purpose in [her] sneakers down the street
[She] had many questions like children often do

[She] said, "Tell me all your thoughts on God
And tell me, am I very far?"

Must have been late after noon
On our way, the sun broke free of the clouds
We count only blue cars skip the cracks in the street
And ask many questions like children often do

[She] said, "Tell me all your thoughts on God
'Cause I'd really like to meet her.
And ask her why we're who we are."

Tell me all your thoughts on God
'Cause I'm on my way to see her
So tell me, am I very far
Am I very far now

message 6: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
I see no reason why this post should not be here?

Life is a real bitch sometimes, to be blunt. May she rest in power, and may her family find some peace in her great legacy and her resilience. While hers was such a short life, she accomplished more than others ever will while they're too busy spitting hatred and spreading their darkness.

message 7: by Gerd (last edited Dec 31, 2017 01:23AM) (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Only 27?
So the death of her father was a more recent incident. I would have thought, based on the "offense" that it must have been something of the past.

message 8: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Gerd wrote: "Only 27?
So the death of her father was a more recent incident. I would have thought, based on the "offense" that it must have been something of the past."

Pretty recent, as her son never had the chance to get to know him, and it is unlikely he will ever remember her. Also, she was 4 weeks postpartum with one of her children.

message 9: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2017 03:21AM) (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
It's truly terrible. Yes, she obviously had heart issues. But you can imagine just how terribly aggravated they were by the cruel murder of her father as a victim of racism and police brutality. Today I saw some comments of people in social media, saying that they hated the BLM movement and other bullshit. I did not want to keep reading because frankly, I'd rather save myself from further losing faith in mankind. I'd rather my reading capacity for today went towards learning more about Erica, what she endured and how she turned the hell that her family has been going through to call out attention over stuff that matters and that should have us all, and most particularly Americans, hanging our heads in shame.

message 10: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Ana wrote: "It's truly terrible. Yes, she obviously had heart issues. But you can imagine just how terribly aggravated they were by the cruel murder of her father as a victim of racism and police brutality. To..."

She had an asthma attack that led to her heart attack, that led to her brain damage:(

And yes, there really are vile people out there.