Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

January - HYPED BOOKS > Discussion: hype

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
What are some of your favourite hyped books?
I will forever spew about my love for Harry Potter. I also really enjoy the Illuminae Files, Shades of Magic, The Maze Runner, The Hunger Games, and generally any book by Brandon Sanderson, Rick Riordan, and Kasie West.

Which hyped books have let you down?
I can't say this series let me down because I went in knowing I would hate it, but I SERIOUSLY HATED the Fifty Shades books. Also Throne of Glass. Ironically, they are also my most liked reviews.

What other hypes are you a fan of? (Doesn't have to be bookish.)
My fandoms are Harry Potter, Sherlock, Disney, Doctor Who, and Percy Jackson.

Which books are you hesitant to start because of the hype?
I have to admit I'm really intimidated by The Hate U Give. I want to read it, but the hype is HUGE.

Do you read a hyped book right away, or do you wait for the storm to pass?
I'm usually that person who discovers a hype about three years after. I still haven't listened to Hamilton or watched Stranger Things, and I have no idea who Kylie Jenner is.

What makes a hyped book for you?
When I feel like every single person but me is talking about it. :')

message 2: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 357 comments What are some of your favourite hyped books?
I feel like I'm THE hype girl for Lies of Locke Lamora. I will scream about that book for ages to come. Otherwise I love Harry Potter and Hunger Games. THUG was totally deserving of the hype it got. That book wrecked me.

Throne of Glass. Divergent. Maze Runner. The Mortal Instruments. Angelfall. A Darker Shade of Magic (you have NO idea how much I wanted to love this and I couldn't get into it for anythingggg).

Disney all day. Lord of the Rings. Pokemon. YuGiOh. (idk if these count as hypes but they're my loves) I'm rather anti-Star Wars, which is totally fun right now because all this TLJ bs is making me crazyyyy.

I'm doing my best to hold off on some newer releases so it counts for one of my challenges in 2018; not necessarily hesitant per se.

I did successfully avoid the first four Harry Potters until 2001 prior to the first film (I thought the cover art was gimmicky). Also ignored Hunger Games up til 2014 bc the hype was insane.

When Twitter bombards me with people talking about it.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Inge wrote: "I'm usually that person who discovers a hype about three years after. I still haven't listened to Hamilton or watched Stranger Things, and I have no idea who Kylie Jenner is."

This really made me LOL, because I'm exactly the same. Some of my best friends kept telling me to listen to Hamilton a year ago and I still haven't done it. And yes, who IS Kylie Jenner?! I also have little to no idea who the Kardashians are.

What are some of your favourite hyped books?
Harry Potter, The Darker Shade of Magic books, The Six of Crows duology, anything by Rainbow Rowell, THUG (which I was reluctant to read as well, but so glad I did because I ended up loving it like everyone else.

Allegiant, because I loved the first two books in the Divergent series a lot and then ... that happened. Also, I wasn't wildly into the last Hunger Games book either. Most of all though, The Maze Runner. I only read the first book but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why so many people loved it. I think I totally missed the boat on that one.

Disney all day errrrrrday. Friends. Which is probably no longer a hype, but since it dominated the world for about 2 decades, I'm counting it :p

Nothing specific because I feel like I honestly don't know it's a hyped book until months afterwards. However, I am noticing that I'm a lot more reluctant to immediately read every new YA fantasy release, because there's just so much of the same in the genre now, which saddens me.

I usually don't unless it's from an author I really love. As mentioned above, I tend to wait a lot longer now to read most YA fantasy books, until I see some reviews roll in.

When it's all everyone is talking about on Goodreads or a lot of people seem to be reading the same book at the same time.

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 357 comments gods, I was all set to love the Maze Runner and then... reading it was like pulling teeth. ugh.

WhatIReallyRead Which hyped books have let you down?
Usually, my taste is pretty conventional, but I've had a few misses. Like Cinder, Me Before You, Paper Towns. I also sometimes don't get the widely beloved classics. Like Little Women, Heart of Darkness, The Catcher in the Rye.

I usually have so much urgency in my tbr (like "I gotta read this ASAP! And this, also ASAP!!") that it can be a year or five before I catch up with the hype, even if I genuinely want to. Also, I don't start series that aren't fully out yet.

message 6: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) What are some of your favourite hyped books?
Harry Potter of course, Percy Jackson series, Kate Daniels series, Six of Crows duology

So many!
Before I Fall
Heartless
Wintersong
My Lady Jane
The Love Interest
Eliza and Her Monsters
and History Is All You Left Me - this one was a DNF for me

Friends and Game of Thrones tv shows. I used to do crossfit but there is no crossfit box in my town (or nearby) so I am not able do crossfit anymore. And I like to wear Nike clothes :D

Girls Made of Snow and Glass
Spellslinger
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Warcross
Strange the Dreamer

That depends.. I want to keep up with hyped books so sometimes I read the book immediately, but sometimes I wait for years to read the book.

If I cannot go through my GR feed without seeing the book in every second post :D

message 7: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Kimberley wrote: "Which hyped books have let you down?

Every Day, Game of Thrones, The Lovely Bones, Twilight, The Girl from Munich."

Nooo, not Game of Thrones... :(