Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

January - HYPED BOOKS > Hyped review thread

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Done with your hyped reads? Leave a link to your review here.

message 2: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I just finished Finding It. It's a third book in the Losing It series by Cora Carmack. I think it was hyped back in 2013 when it was published and a lot of my GR friends have read it, so I think it fits to this month theme.

It was my first book read in 2018 and I gave it 5 stars.

Here is my review.

message 3: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments I just finished A Game of Thrones. Since it only took me 5 days to read 800+pages it's safe to say I loved it.
Other giant books that I loved (like Kingkiller books) took me a while longer.

That being said, I'm not immediately jumping to the 2nd book, probably will wait a couple of months, spread em out. Not like I have to rush to catch up for the next release!

One thing that I found remarkable & unexpected is how close the series stays to the novel. Granted, it's been years since I saw season 1 but I can't recall anything major that was changed or omitted. Thought there would be at least a bit difference.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Glad you loved it, Rodney, so did I.

Rodney wrote: "One thing that I found remarkable & unexpected is how close the series stays to the novel. Granted, it's been years since I saw season 1 but I can't recall anything major that was changed or omitted. Thought there would be at least a bit difference. "

Season 1 and book 1 were indeed pretty close. It's from season 2 on that the makers started really messing with my head :p

Oh, but please no spoilers about the latest seasons. I stopped watching when the series caught up with the books because I want to read it before I watch it. So when WoW finally arrives, I have more that that to look forward too :D

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I finished We Were Liars yesterday and I....didn't love it. I'm not sure why it's hyped so much: the mystery is intriguing, true, but most of the book is filled with privileged people discussing money while relaxing on a family island. Snooooooze...

So I gave the book 2 stars and you can read my review of it here.

message 6: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I was ill this week - I caught a bad cold during new year's evening - so I had a lot of time to read...which gave me the opportunity to finish the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series! I had a lot of fun with it, and although the last book was a letdown for me, I'm very glad I've read the books. :)

- You can read my review for the second book, Hollow City, right here.
- You can read my review for the third book, Library of Souls, right here.

message 7: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "I finished We Were Liars yesterday and I....didn't love it. I'm not sure why it's hyped so much: the mystery is intriguing, true, but most of the book is filled with privileged peop..."

*snort* Yeah, I DNFed that one.

message 8: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I finished my reread of Illuminae and my review is basically just a gif of Barney Stinson pretending to have his mind blown. 5 stars all around. ♥

message 9: by Cathy (last edited Jan 10, 2018 04:30AM) (new)

Cathy I finally read Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere, which I meant to read in 2017 and which ended up winning the GoodReads award for best Fiction.

I really, really liked it and my review is here :)

I'm still thinking about whether or not to join The Raven Boys buddy read...it's on my Kindle, but for some reason I haven't really been in the mood for it lately.

message 10: by Kim (last edited Jan 09, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Kim | 58 comments Just finished The Raven Boys. I liked it a lot, it's worth the hype in my opinion.
For those of you who don't follow the buddy read thread, here's my review.

message 11: by lucie (last edited Jan 10, 2018 01:09AM) (new)

lucie (arey) I stayed up late yesterday (or today?) because I wanted to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - I look like zombie today at work because I finished it at 2 am and my eyes are puffy. *ugly cry*
I don't remember if any other book made me cry so much.

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) Cathy wrote: "I finally read Celeste Ng's Everything I never told you, which I meant to read in 2017 and which ended up winning the GoodReads award for best Fiction.

I really, really liked it and my review is ..."

Your link takes me to your review of Little Fires Everywhere :)

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Irene wrote: "Your link takes me to your review of Little Fires Everywhere :)."

Aaah, I accidentally copied the wrong name of the book xD I did read Little Fires Everywhere! (although I loved her other book, Everything I never told you, too :) )

message 14: by Meeghan (new)

Meeghan (meeghanw) | 18 comments lucie wrote: "I stayed up late yesterday (or today?) because I wanted to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - I look like zombie today at work because I finished it at 2 am and my eyes are..."

Order of the Phoenix always makes me cry the most. Bloody Sirius! Although I cry a lot from book 4 onwards... *hands over more tissues*

message 15: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Meeghan wrote: "lucie wrote: "I stayed up late yesterday (or today?) because I wanted to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - I look like zombie today at work because I finished it at 2 am a..."

I think that Snape was the only one who made me cry actually.. (view spoiler)nothing

message 16: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "Meeghan wrote: "lucie wrote: "I stayed up late yesterday (or today?) because I wanted to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - I look like zombie today at work because I finis..."
I pretty much cried from Order of Phoenix on... It's a tie for crying more in either order of phoenix or deathly hallows. My hear just hurts at the end of Order of Phoenix for Harry.

message 17: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Definitely Order of the Phoenix or Deathly Hallows. (view spoiler)

message 18: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I finished Eleanor & Park and my review is here

Great book for a day with hungover :D

message 19: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I've finished A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver - I'd say it's pretty hyped since it won 2012 GR Choice awards. My review of A Thousand Mornings.

message 20: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I finished The Hate U Give, which I was extremely intimidated by, but I really liked it! So intricate, and Starr's family was utterly adorable. Deserves all the praise it's getting.

message 21: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I finished Sleeping Giants and I was so glad to finally read a good sci-fi novel! It's intriguing, easy to read, and the mystery of a giant robot buried in the earth is worked out so well. Here is my review

message 22: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne89) | 11 comments lucie wrote: "I finished Eleanor & Park and my review is here

Great book for a day with hungover :D"

Haha, you're right! It's a sweet story and a fast read, I've almost finished it.

message 23: by lucie (last edited Jan 20, 2018 06:14AM) (new)

lucie (arey) I finished Everless yesterday. It was an okay book. Unfortunatelly even if it has an original concept, it didn't stand out. Here is my review

message 24: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "I finished Everless yesterday. It was an okay book. Unfortunatelly even if it has an original concept, it didn't stand out. Here is my review"

That's a shame! I'm really excited to read this book. I think everyone has/had really high expectations.

message 25: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "lucie wrote: "I finished Everless yesterday. It was an okay book. Unfortunatelly even if it has an original concept, it didn't stand out. Here is my review"

That's a shame! I'm rea..."

maybe it will work for you better :)

message 26: by Ally (new)

Ally | 22 comments I finished Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe a while ago, but wasn't able to post my review here because my laptop broke haha, so here is my short little review of it. :)

message 27: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Ally wrote: "I finished Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe a while ago, but wasn't able to post my review here because my laptop broke haha, so here is my short little revi..."

I am glad you liked this one so much :)

message 28: by Cathy (last edited Jan 27, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

Cathy I finished The Raven Boys yesterday and my review is here.

Now I'm going to go read the entire buddy read thread so I can catch up :)

message 29: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne89) | 11 comments I finished Eleanor & Park last night and I loved it!

Here's my review :)

message 30: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments You can find my review of The Raven Boys here.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I finished The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden.

This is the second book in the Winternight trilogy and I had meant to read it as soon as it was released, because I loved the first book, but life got in the way. I read it these past two weeks and enjoyed it every bit as much as book one :)

message 32: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Cathy wrote: "I finished The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden.

This is the second book in the Winternight trilogy and I had meant to read it as soon as it was released, because I loved the first book, but ..."

That's good to hear Cathy! I can't wait to read that book either: "The Bear and the Nightingale" was one of my favorite winter-reads last year.

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy You're not the only one who was disappointed Kimberley! I remember not being too impressed by that book either, even though it had a lot of potential.

message 34: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Kimberley wrote: "I finished Every Day (Every Day, #1) by David Levithan was not for me. Really disappointed after my co worker and her friend loved it."

let's hope the movie will be better then

message 35: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This weekend I finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone and while I loved the first half, the second half was too heavy on the romance. So many descriptions on how beautiful they both are and how they can't live without each other - while they met just 2 days ago!

But the mystery of the monsters was very intriguing, so I'm definitely going to read book 2. For book 1, you can read my review here.

message 36: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
So I finished The Hazel Wood, which is a book that has been a little hyped which comes out tomorrow...I gave it 3/5 stars. It was good but I was disappointed it didn't have as much of the fairytale aspect as I thought it would from reading the description. You can find my review here. 3 out of 5 stars.