Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

January - HYPED BOOKS > Buddy read: The Raven Boys

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
We are trying out something new this month! We have asked you which book you would like to read together in the group, and you have (overwhelmingly) chosen The Raven Boys. This buddy read will last all throughout January and will be led by Puck. You can use this thread to discuss.

Please keep spoilers under spoiler tags! You can do this by typing
< spoiler>SPOILER HERE< /spoiler> and removing the spaces. Thank you. ♥

Want to buddy read a different book? You can look for a partner here. Discussions for other books can be held here.

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Yay, this will finally give me the boost I need to pick this one up. (I've wanted to read it for a while, but I'm on a sort of book buying ban and I didn't want to start it, because I don't have the sequels yet and I have over 150 books on my TBR, so I can't really justify getting them just yet. If this makes any sense :-)

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy That makes total sense! I've had the ebook of the first book in the series for awhile now, so I'm hoping to join in with this buddy read as well. There are already about 6 books on my January TBR though, so I'm being over-ambitious as always :p

message 4: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) i bought the complete series few months ago but didnt manage to read the books. i was afraid that i will not like them 😂
i am glad that this buddy read makes me finally read them!

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm so happy everyone is so eager to start! I was the same as you guys: I heard so much about The Raven Boys that last year I decided to put the first book on my 2017-TBR. I wanted to see if I liked it the first book enough to continue the series...and I did! :D
Reading the Raven Cycle was quite a ride, so I hope re-reading the first book brings back that thrill, and this being a buddy-read makes me so glad that I can share that thrill with you all!

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments I'll join in here just as soon as I've finished my current read (which is just a light read I picked as a 'reward' for reaching my 2017 goal, and to fill the already busy last days of the year without committing to a book that would eat its way into january too much to join here :) )

message 7: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) I've been meaning to read this series for the longest time. I'm in!

message 8: by Nadia_nao (new)

Nadia_nao | 14 comments Well I think I wont be an exeption if I say that this will also be my chance to finaly read the Raven Boys series. I've had the books sleeping in my TBR shelf for about 2 years.
I am so happy the buddy reads was created ! You can count me in :)

message 9: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
yup I am up for this one! I have been hearing a lot about this series and this is definitely a good excuse to buy another book for myself on my kindle!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

lol, I just finished reading this one two weeks ago and loved it, looking forward to the discussions.

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Alright, I got my copy of The Raven Boys out of the library this afternoon, so I'm ready to kick this buddy read off! 😁
Happy reading everyone, and feel free to leave your thoughts here - whenever positive or negative - to let your buddies know what you think of the story.

message 12: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I am going to get this one on my Kindle! Looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about!

message 13: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments So far, I've read 13 chapters and I'm struggling to get into the story. I don't know what it is, but the story hasn't completely grabbed me yet.
How's everyone else doing? Am I the only one that is struggling?

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Natulcien wrote: "So far, I've read 13 chapters and I'm struggling to get into the story. I don't know what it is, but the story hasn't completely grabbed me yet.
How's everyone else doing? Am I the only one that is..."

By chapter 13 I wasn't really 'in the story' either but that is because the story had yet to start. I'm now starting chapter 24 and I only felt myself getting pulled in the last few chapters, but now suddenly things are moving pretty fast.

You're still in the phase of getting introduced to everyone. It takes a while as there are quite a few characters of interest, it seems.

I'm intrigued by the four Raven boys, and what roles they are going to play. I like the characterizations of Gansey, Adam and Ronan, each with very distinct personalities, their own backgroundstory and issues, and I'm wondering why the fourth boy isn't getting the same treatment. Why don't we know that much about Noah? Why doesn't he get involved in the actual story (while he apparently does know about it)? Maybe he just isn't of any importance, but in that case, why even include him in the first place?

message 15: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Kim wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "So far, I've read 13 chapters and I'm struggling to get into the story. I don't know what it is, but the story hasn't completely grabbed me yet.
How's everyone else doing? Am I th..."

Good to know the story picks up later on :-)

I am very intrigued by Noah as well, for instance (view spoiler)

It's true that we get a lot of character info and it's just taking me a while to get used to them.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments I knew something was up with that guy, but I didn't see this coming!

For those of you who already know what I'm talking about: did you (view spoiler)? Should/could I have guessed? (view spoiler)

message 17: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Kim wrote: "I knew something was up with that guy, but I didn't see this coming!

For those of you who already know what I'm talking about: did you [spoilers removed]? Should/could I have guessed? [spoilers r..."

Which guy are you talking about? Which chapter did the thing you're referring to happen in?

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments If you don't know you need to read a little more before clicking the spoilers :). I'm sure you'll now when you read it :)

message 19: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I thought as much 😁 that's extra motivation to keep reading.

message 20: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm at chapter 13 now as well - how foreboding, this is the chapter with the psychic reading!- and the story so far is indeed pretty slow. Like Kim said, the book really starts out by letting the reader get to know the different boys and Blue and discover their personalities.
This might not be as exciting to start out with, but since these 5 kids are the ones going on a quest to find Glendower, it's important we get a (good) idea of who they are and their dynamics.
And don't worry, the action parts will indeed pick up. ;)

For me, as I'm rereading this book, it's fascinating how much foreboding certain lines are. I never picked them up on my first read - no duh - but there are hints in this book that won't be explained until book 3. (view spoiler)
It's amazing to realize how intricate this first novel already is, and how much the mystery has already started while our characters don't have a clue yet. :)

message 21: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "I knew something was up with that guy, but I didn't see this coming!

For those of you who already know what I'm talking about: did you [spoilers removed]? Should/could I have guessed? [spoilers r..."

Haha, I love following your discussion Kim and Natulcien! I can't say much about your doubts about Noah, but safe to say you're both on to something. On the other hand, there is more to every boy that meets the eye, like Ronan for example...

As for Kim: (view spoiler)

message 22: by Nadia_nao (last edited Jan 08, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Nadia_nao | 14 comments I started reading this book yesterday night and am at the 6th chapter. True there is a lot of information and character description to assimilate. Nonetheless I'm intrigued.

And these would be my main reasons (view spoiler)

message 23: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Elise Powell wrote: "Ok so I joined the group today and I now have a copy of The Raven Boys!! I know I have some catching up to do but I'm excited to be a part of the group!"

welcome in our group!
no worries, i will start the book later this month :) we will catch them up!

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments What a ride! I couldn't put it down yesterday evening so I finished (and then decided to reread the last chapters today). So no catching up to me :p (but that's OK, I'll gladly keep following this thread to discuss with you later.)
Here's my review.

Could someone who has read the rest of the series please let me know whether the thing I'm confused about (under spoiler tags in the review) will get cleared up when I read on? If so no need to explain, of course, in that case I'll gladly wait to find out myself, but I'm a bit afraid I missed something...

message 25: by Esra (new)

Esra | 14 comments Kim wrote: "What a ride! I couldn't put it down yesterday evening so I finished (and then decided to reread the last chapters today). So no catching up to me :p (but that's OK, I'll gladly keep following this ..."

I posted a comment about it for you under your review. :)

message 26: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 10, 2018 09:21AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "What a ride! I couldn't put it down yesterday evening so I finished (and then decided to reread the last chapters today). So no catching up to me :p (but that's OK, I'll gladly keep following this ..."

That's great Kim, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! ^^ I see Esra already helped you out with your question, but if you, or anybody else, have some questions regarding the book, feel free to leave them here. I'll put my answers under the spoiler tag.

But now that you're finished, has become one of the characters your favorite? One of the boys maybe, or Blue?

message 27: by Kim (last edited Jan 10, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

Kim | 58 comments Thanks Esra! I feel a lot better now i know it wasn't me ;)

Puck wrote: "But now that you're finished, has become one of the characters your favorite? One of the boys maybe, or Blue?"

I really like Blue. I like how she deals with her and her family being considered weird by everyone. I highlighted this passage:
"it hadn't taken her very long to discover that the weirder she looked on the outside - the more she let other kids realize that she wasn't like them, from the very beginning - the less likely she was to be picked on or ignored. The fact was, by the time she got to high school, being weird and proud of it was an asset"
To someone who was 16 and going to school wearing nothing but browns and blacks, a fedora (you know, the 'gangster' type of hat), and a long leather coat, that is very relatable :D
And I feel for her not having the powers her 'family' has. I would be soooo frustrated...

From the boys, Adam is my favorite at the moment. For pretty much the same reason: he's being himself, and proud of it, even though his background makes it far from easy. I do hope that doesn't change too much as the story progresses.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Blue, she is definitely one of the best YA heroine's out there in my opinion. She actually thinks before she acts, makes rational decisions, on her own! and knows herself.

Gansey is my favorite overall, I love him even more than Blue. He fascinates me and I can't wait to find out whats going on with the Ley Line and how he might be connected to it.

Adam is actually my least favorite of the group, maybe becuase I'm gearing myself up for a betrayel on his part, but some thing seems off sometimes with him.

message 29: by Esra (new)

Esra | 14 comments Oh, I love Ronan with all my heart. He’s kinda shitty and has many flaws, but also has some redeeming factors which I shall leave unnamed for those of you who intend to continue with the books (which should be everyone by anyway). ;)

I think Gansey comes a close second because he’s super passionate about Glendower, and is fiercely loyal to his friends. He has some flaws too, but those humanise him and make him waaaaaay more likeable than the typical YA rich boy. I could literally go on for hours about the Raven Boys and Blue from an analytical perspective.

ARGH I JUST LOVE THESE BOOKS SO MUCH.

message 30: by Nadia_nao (last edited Jan 10, 2018 10:47AM) (new)

Nadia_nao | 14 comments Seraphina wrote: "I love Blue, she is definitely one of the best YA heroine's out there in my opinion. She actually thinks before she acts, makes rational decisions, on her own! and knows herself.

Gansey is my fav..."

I agree with you - although I haven't finished the book yet -

I love Blue's personnality and how mature she is for her age.

And Gansey ! The image the world has of him and who he really is are so contrary you cant help but love him.

As for Adam, since the beginning I did not like him and I sensed a betrayal from him too (view spoiler)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Nadia_nao wrote: "Seraphina wrote: "I love Blue, she is definitely one of the best YA heroine's out there in my opinion. She actually thinks before she acts, makes rational decisions, on her own! and knows herself. ..."

Glad you're enjoying the book so far. You'll have to let us all know if your opinions on the characters change as you read.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments At the moment (I'm about halfway through) I really like Blue. She is indeed mature and I love how confident she is about herself. (I really liked the same passage Kim did :-) )

As for the boys, right now I'm leaning towards Adam, but I'm not sure if it will stay that way. The fact that so many of you sense a betrayal coming scares me a bit :-s

message 33: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 11, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Blue is indeed a very mature and 'sensible' girl for her age; someone has to be, when you grow up in a house full of psychic ladies. ;)
The women of that house are my favorite side-characters btw: they are a group of eccentric 'witches' so to speak, but they all are grounded in reality and they work so well together.

Gansey has always been the Mom-friend to be: despite his search for Glendower, he spends most of his time managing his friends. Making sure Ronan doesn't beat people up, trying to make things easier for Adam, helping Noah...no wonder that boy has trouble sleeping, haha!

Ronan has always been one of my favorites. While the second book is much more about him, his introduction in this book is great. "Yeah, I'm Ronan the bad boy. I race cars and pick fights and talk to trees and raise a baby raven. You don't want to mess with me!"

And for people worrying about Adam - he isn't in the friendliest of moods this book, I admit - keep in mind that he, compared to the other boys, doesn't live in the best of places right now. His three rich friends all live with Gansey in this impressive warehouse and drive fast, cool cars.
Adam on the other hand...you'll see for yourself, but it's one of the reasons why he's fighting so hard to be his own person.

message 34: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 11, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
...And I'm finished with the book as well! Maybe I got through it faster because this was a reread for me, but I did enjoy the book a lot more this time around. I got a better understanding of the Raven Boys, and the final scene became so much more heartfelt. Four stars for me :)

If you want, you can read my review here, but be warned, there are some (light) spoilers in there! Better not read it until you're finished with the book yourself :)

message 35: by Nadia_nao (last edited Jan 11, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Nadia_nao | 14 comments I finished the book ! YAY

It was a great read. My opinion on the Raven boys and Blue did not change.

(view spoiler)

I am sure going to read the second book ! So curious as to what will happen next :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Nadia_nao wrote: "I finished the book ! YAY

It was a great read. My opinion on the Raven boys and Blue did not change.

But i have to say that I really like Noah. Learning that he died long ago was and wasnt a sur..."

that is exactly why I don't like Adam!

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Fascinating how we all have different favorites :)
It proves how well these characters are written; They are obviously not written as characters that 'should' be disliked or liked, but as real personalities, and the readers can make up their own minds.

I feel the need to defend Adam: I don't think he's mistaking Gansey's acts of kindness as pity or charity. I thinks he knows he really means them well, but he can't accept them for two reasons: one is pride, the need to feel you've earned everything you get yourself. The other is because he does not want anyone (not Gansey, not outsiders, and maybe even himself) to think he's friends with Gansey because of the money. He wants to show his friendship is for Gansey as a person, not his money.
About thinking Gansey is condescending sometimes: I think he's right... The whole conversation with Blue when they first meet in the restaurant is proof of that. I don't think Gansey means to be, he just never learned to see money as 'an issue' and has a hard time relating with people who do, which makes him say things that are quite confrontational to others. He even realizes that himself, and wants to change, but is just not always aware of the effect his words will have.
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Natulcien_reads (last edited Jan 14, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I've finished the book. Even though it took me quite a while to get into the story, once it grabbed me, I really wanted to continue reading.

I still like Blue very much, she remains very mature and deals with everything that happens very well.

As for the boys: I still like Adam, but just like Nadia_nao I'm a bit confused about what happened with Adam. (view spoiler)

Gansey is certainly starting to grow on me. He is truly a great friend and would do anything for them.

Ronan also redeemed himself (view spoiler)

Oh and Noah, he's just so sweet (view spoiler)

I've got a (silly) question: My copy of the book has the four raven boys on the cover, but besides Ronan, it's hard to tell who's who. I think the one on Ronan's left (Ronan is the one on the far right in my opinion) is Noah, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have this copy and can you tell me who's who?

I'm definitely going to order the other three books soon, because I want to know what happens next, especially after (view spoiler)

message 39: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "I've finished the book. Even though it took me quite a while to get into the story, once it grabbed me, I really wanted to continue reading.

I still like Blue very much, she remains very mature an..."

Ooooh, Natulcien, your spoiler tag with Noah doesn't work! Fix that ASAP! :O

message 40: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Puck wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "I've finished the book. Even though it took me quite a while to get into the story, once it grabbed me, I really wanted to continue reading.

I still like Blue very much, she rema..."

Oh crap :-s

Thanks for letting me know, Puck!!

message 41: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 14, 2018 02:16PM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
But I see that there are now a couple of people who are finished with the book, and have some trouble understanding what happened at the end. I'm going to try to explain the sacrifice in the spoiler tags. Be warned, it's a bit long:

(view spoiler)

Pfff, what an essay: but I hope this explanation clears things up a bit! :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Puck wrote: "But I see that there are now a couple of people who are finished with the book, and have some trouble understanding what happened at the end. I'm going to try to explain the sacrifice in the spoile..."

omg, thanks so much! I've read the book twice and it was still confusing me.

message 43: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Thanks for that analysis, Puck. I did interpret it correctly at the time it happened, but it was the exchange between Gansey and Adam afterwards that got me confused (view spoiler)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim wrote: "Thanks for that analysis, Puck. I did interpret it correctly at the time it happened, but it was the exchange between Gansey and Adam afterwards that got me confused [spoilers removed]"

I guess that's just the genius of it :p

message 45: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 14, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Haha, well I was confused the first time too! It was only during this reread that I got a better understanding of Adam & Gansey's conflict, which helped me understand the sacrifice and Gansey's reaction to it.
But I think the author wants us to be confused. It makes you all the more eager to pick up the next books to find out the meaning of Adam's decision, and Ronan's final line. Very clever of her 😉

message 46: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Puck wrote: "But I see that there are now a couple of people who are finished with the book, and have some trouble understanding what happened at the end. I'm going to try to explain the sacrifice in the spoile..."

Thank you for this, things are much clearer now :-)

message 47: by Nadia_nao (new)

Nadia_nao | 14 comments Puck wrote: "But I see that there are now a couple of people who are finished with the book, and have some trouble understanding what happened at the end. I'm going to try to explain the sacrifice in the spoile..."

Thank you Puck for the explanation ! I understand now much better what did happen :)

message 48: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 15, 2018 12:39PM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Thanks everyone, I'm really glad I could help you out a bit with the ending 😊

message 49: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I finally decided whether to join this buddy read or not and I started The Raven Boys this morning :)

First thing that threw me: I was under the impression that this was a fantasy book in the sense that it was a completely different world from ours (don't know why I thought that, though) and then in like the second paragraph I saw a Walmart reference, so I figured huh, so this in our world after all, haha!

message 50: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Cathy wrote: "I finally decided whether to join this buddy read or not and I started The Raven Boys this morning :)

First thing that threw me: I was under the impression that this was a fantasy book in the sen..."

Hi Cathy, welcome! *waves*

And this book is indeed more a 'magical-realism' or 'paranormal' book instead of fantasy. The story takes place in a normal town in America where a lot of abnormal things are going on...what those are you will discover soon enough. ;)

Happy reading!

« previous 1