Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

January - HYPED BOOKS > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Come discuss the book you're currently reading. Are they worthy of the hype?

message 2: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments I started A Game of Thrones 2 days ago. It's such a fun read I'm halfway already.

So far it's completely living up to the hype.
This is also one of the very few times I'm glad to already having seen the series. I think that without the knowledge of the TV show I might get lost in all the characters thrown around. But now it's easy to keep up with all developments.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Rodney wrote: "... This is also one of the very few times I'm glad to already having seen the series. I think that without the knowledge of the TV show I might get lost in all the characters thrown around. But now it's easy to keep up with all developments. "

Funny, I had the same feeling the other way around. I would probably not have been able to keep up with the show had I not known the characters from the books...

message 4: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Kim wrote: "Rodney wrote: "... This is also one of the very few times I'm glad to already having seen the series. I think that without the knowledge of the TV show I might get lost in all the characters thrown..."

I was completely confused when I read the book - I can't watch the series because it's too graphic for me. But it was really hard to differentiate between all the different characters. Then, after the read, I find out there's a full list of characters and where they belong at the back of the book! I was so angry :D

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Well, I was in the library this afternoon picking up the "Miss Peregrine" books, and to my surprise - because this hyped book is constantly checked out - I found We Were Liars. Now I heard lots of things about this book, good and bad, but since we are reading hyped books I just couldn't leave it there, right? ;)
Let's see what the hype is about!

message 6: by Monique (new)

Monique (eressea) I’m reading the Lunar Chronicles right now and yes it is worthy! It’s extremely addictive and I can’t put them down 😂 I took a short break to update on goodreads but I’ll continue binge reading Cress in a minute... 😆😳🙈

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Monique wrote: "I’m reading the Lunar Chronicles right now and yes it is worthy! It’s extremely addictive and I can’t put them down 😂 I took a short break to update on goodreads but I’ll continue binge reading Cre..."

Haha, enjoy Monique! Binge reading is the best, especially with addicting books :D

message 8: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I finished The Final Empire earlier today and I am in love with the book! The reviews weren't lying.

I started to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows because it's time to finish my reread of this series so I can start it again, haha.

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "I started to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows because it's time to finish my reread of this series so I can start it again, haha."

*sends chocolate and tissues*

Monique wrote: "I’m reading the Lunar Chronicles right now and yes it is worthy! It’s extremely addictive and I can’t put them down 😂 I took a short break to update on goodreads but I’ll continue binge reading Cre..."

I'm so happy to hear this! Cress and Winter were the best books in the series in my opinion, so you're in for a few treats still :D I love me some Thorne. <3

message 10: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "*sends chocolate and tissues*"

I will need them for my other read (The Song of Achilles

The 7th Harry Potter book is my least favorite tbh

message 11: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

It's the one I tend to avoid because of all the character deaths. MY BABIES.

message 12: by Esra (last edited Jan 09, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

Esra | 14 comments I’m 6 chapters into Stalking Jack the Ripper and I don’t know how to feel about it. It’s just so...boring. I WAS ANTICIPATING IT SO MUCH SO I HOPE IT GETS BETTER.

I think I just have bad luck when it comes to reading short books this month. :(

message 13: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinasoaur) | 10 comments I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good thing. I did read Three Dark Crowns as well, along with A Madness so Discreet. I need to pick up another mental health book for the MH bingo though, because so far I just read one (The Upside...). Should I pick up Gemina or hold off until later? *ponders*

message 14: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Dina wrote: "I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good thing. I did read Three Dark Crowns as well, ..."

PICK UP GEMINA!!!!!! :-)

message 15: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinasoaur) | 10 comments Natulcien wrote: "Dina wrote: "I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good thing. I did read Three Dark Cro..."

ON IT!

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Dina wrote: "I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good thing. I did read Three Dark Crowns as well, ..."

How did you like Three Dark Crowns? Been wondering whether that's a book I should stick on my TBR shelf ...

message 17: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Dina wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "Dina wrote: "I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good thing. I did r..."

:-)

Did you enjoy Three Dark Crowns? I have it on my TBR, but haven't read it yet.

message 18: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I'm reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and it was really great and fun and now it's profound and... I kinda feel like my heart got ripped out of my chest. I'm afraid to read on...

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natulcien wrote: "Dina wrote: "I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good thing. I did read Three Dark Cro..."

GEMINA

WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I'm reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and it was really great and fun and now it's profound and... I kinda feel like my heart got ripped out of my chest. I'm afraid to read on..."

*passes on tissues* I've been eyeing that one for a while!

message 20: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jan 11, 2018 01:13AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Allright Illuminae & Gemina fans, I'm currently in the middle of Sleeping Giants and I think you will like this book as well! Both books are written in a similar format - in the form of interviews and diary entries - and although the story takes place on earth, there is a lot of space involved. A giant (female!) robot from space, to be specific, which is all kinds of awesome.

However, the cast is a group of adults instead of teens, so there isn't a lot of humor or romance happening, but the story itself is very intriguing and thrilling. I can't wait to see how it will come to an end...

message 21: by Sky (new)

Sky read (skyfry) | 1 comments Yesterday I started reading a book called “Shadow Weaver” by: MarcyKate Connolly I loved it so much I recently finished it today I was so sad that I finished it, I didn’t want it to end

message 22: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Sky wrote: "Yesterday I started reading a book called “Shadow Weaver” by: MarcyKate Connolly I loved it so much I recently finished it today I was so sad that I finished it, I didn’t want it to end"

Are there any sequels for you to enjoy?

Puck wrote: "Allright Illuminae & Gemina fans, I'm currently in the middle of Sleeping Giants and I think you will like this book as well! Both books are written in a similar format - in the for..."

Sounds grerat!

message 23: by lucie (last edited Jan 12, 2018 03:00AM) (new)

lucie (arey) I am in the middle of The Song of Achilles and can someone tell if it picks up? I am liking it but I am not blown away?

message 24: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "I am in the middle of The Song of Achilles and can someone tell if it picks up? I am liking but I am not blown away?"

I am only familiar with the original mythe, but I do know that once you get to the discussion between Achilles and Agamemnon about Chryseïs and Briseis, shit starts to go down. Briseis herself should already start something between the boys, but once the issues about Chryseis start...the build-up to something! (I can't say what) begins.

message 25: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Puck wrote: "lucie wrote: "I am in the middle of The Song of Achilles and can someone tell if it picks up? I am liking but I am not blown away?"

I am only familiar with the original mythe, but ..."

thank you, Puck. I know a little about the mythe (just basics). I will see then

message 26: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments I'm currently reading Artemis by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. It's not quite as good as The Martian (nothing ever is), but the humor is sharp and sarcastic and the science is fascinating. Jazz, the main character, kind of reminds me of Inej Ghafa? All the other characters are fantastic as well, especially Trond and Svoba. About 25% through!

message 27: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Eleanor wrote: "I'm currently reading Artemis by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. It's not quite as good as The Martian (nothing ever is), but the humor is sharp and sarcastic and the science is f..."

Glad you're enjoying it! Definitely not as good as The Martian though. But The Martian was solid gold. :D

message 28: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I've finished my reread of The Final Empire and I loved it just as much as the first time I read it :-) Today I started listening to Every Heart a Doorway which I've been seeing all over BookTube, so I guess it's pretty hyped.
I'm also going to reread Illuminae :-)

message 29: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinasoaur) | 10 comments Cathy wrote: "Dina wrote: "I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good thing. I did read Three Dark Cro..."

It's kind of a slow-ish read, because the author is introducing three different main characters and their courts. But, once it gains momentum, it's pretty exciting. Most of the book is build up, though. So, be ready for that.

message 30: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinasoaur) | 10 comments Natulcien wrote: "Dina wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "Dina wrote: "I finished The Upside of Unrequited a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it a lot. Also: It fueled my love for frosting even more, which can't be a good t..."
I did like it! Just a fair warning: it is mostly setting up to the second book. The main conflict is really compelling, I have to say. Hope you enjoy it!

message 31: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinasoaur) | 10 comments Alrighty, party people! What are you reading now? How are you enjoying it? Personally, I have ventured into Throne of Glass lands and turned into a total trash fire of love and affection towards these characters. Having read the first one from the library, I managed to pick up books 2 and 3 as well. Making my way through Crown of Midnight, which I frequently call "Crown of Glass" -_- Have a good week ahead, peeps

message 32: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments I'm currently struggling through The Picture of Dorian Gray for another groups monthly read (as it's generally considered a 'must-read classic' I guess that also counts as a 'hyped book'). I'm not sure what I think of it yet, although I'm more than halfway now. At times I love the writing style, especially the dialogues between Lord Henry and Dorian, but other times I think it's just too long-winded, too much philosophy and too little actual story.

I guess reading it on a crowded tram being bumped into every second, or reading it in bed after a long and tiring day of work isn't really ideal. If I end up thinking it's worth it, I'll probably create a shelf 'To be re-read when I really have time for it' to put it on...

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I actually liked The Picture of Dorian Gray! One of the few classics that I enjoyed whereas I mostly have to struggle to get through classics (because they can be so slow and hard to read!). I hope you manage to finish! :)

message 34: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Cathy wrote: "I actually liked The Picture of Dorian Gray! One of the few classics that I enjoyed whereas I mostly have to struggle to get through classics (because they can be so slow and hard to read!). I hope..."

Same! Though when I say "I liked it", it means I rated it 3 stars where I rate other classics 1-2. :P

message 35: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments Inge wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I actually liked The Picture of Dorian Gray! One of the few classics that I enjoyed whereas I mostly have to struggle to get through classics (because they can be so slow and hard to ..."

I really liked it, even gave it 4 stars I think. A great book!
But I still can't comprehend that one chapter, I think it was 11. If you read it, you'll remember the awfulness of it.

The entire book has a great flow and then that one chapter makes you want to throw it out of the window. And after that chapter it picks up being an great book just as before. It still baffles me, even a year or so later.

message 36: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Rodney wrote: "Inge wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I actually liked The Picture of Dorian Gray! One of the few classics that I enjoyed whereas I mostly have to struggle to get through classics (because they can be so slow..."

Now I'm intrigued to reread it, Rodney! I read it a few years ago when I started reading classics, and I just remember the book for the dark and gothic second half. Which was great, but that chapter 11...I can't recall that.

message 37: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I decided to end January by picking up Daughter of Smoke and Bone, written by Laini Taylor. This is a much loved series and so I'm excited to find out if I will love it too! 😊

message 38: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments Puck wrote: "Now I'm intrigued to reread it, Rodney! I read it a few years ago when I started reading classics, and I just remember the book for the dark and gothic second half. Which was great, but that chapter 11...I can't recall that. ."

After finishing the book I went online to look up if I was the only one that felt so bad about chapter 11 but I definitely wasn't. Still, it's kind of a shame, since I loved every other chapter of the book, I still recommend it to lots of people. It's one of the few classics that everyone can enjoy in my opinion.

Now, I understand the meaning and reason for that chapter, but I feel it could have been written very much less sucky (to use a technical term ;-))

If you end up re-reading it, let me know if it hits you as bad this time as it did me!

message 39: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 329 comments Esra wrote: "I’m 6 chapters into Stalking Jack the Ripper and I don’t know how to feel about it. It’s just so...boring. I WAS ANTICIPATING IT SO MUCH SO I HOPE IT GETS BETTER.

I think I just h..."

I'm glad you wound up enjoying this one, Esra! It unexpectedly became one of my favorite reads of last year, and that pairing <333 Thomas and Audrey Rose are the best.

message 40: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 329 comments Puck wrote: "I decided to end January by picking up Daughter of Smoke and Bone, written by Laini Taylor. This is a much loved series and so I'm excited to find out if I will love it too! 😊"

One of my absolute favorites! The writing is exquisite. Enjoy!

message 41: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 329 comments I've finally gotten my hands on Thunderhead and I'm literally so excited :D :D :D

message 42: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I've finally gotten my hands on Thunderhead and I'm literally so excited :D :D :D"

Meeeep! I had it pre-ordered, but I need to reread Scythe first because I remember nothing. :D

Puck wrote: "I decided to end January by picking up Daughter of Smoke and Bone, written by Laini Taylor. This is a much loved series and so I'm excited to find out if I will love it too! 😊"

I really hope you enjoy this! I have read DoSaB twice, but still need to continue the series.

Rodney wrote: "Puck wrote: "Now I'm intrigued to reread it, Rodney! I read it a few years ago when I started reading classics, and I just remember the book for the dark and gothic second half. Which was great, bu..."

I don't know if this is the chapter you're talking about, but I remember this one chapter that felt like reading a textbook on gemstones or something? I skipped it. :')

message 43: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments Inge wrote: "I don't know if this is the chapter you're talking about, but I remember this one chapter that felt like reading a textbook on gemstones or something? I skipped it. :')"

Pretty sure we're talking about the same chapter :-p
I wasn't smart enough to skip it