Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

January - HYPED BOOKS > What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Hyped books! It seems like no one will ever shut up about these books, and you’re getting kind of curious, but you’re afraid you’ll be the only one who doesn’t like it… Will you fall for the hype?
I will be reading:
- Illuminae (reread because OBSIDIO IS COMING OUT SOON AHH)
- The Golem and the Jinni

Happy reading! What are your planned books?

WhatIReallyRead I was going to start my year with Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and it seems to fit the theme perfectly! I own several more hyped books, but not sure how many I'll be able to pick up.

message 3: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I was going to start my year with Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and it seems to fit the theme perfectly! I own several more hyped books, but not sure how many I'll be able to ..."

my friend is super critical and Eleanor was her favorite read of 2017!!

message 4: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I want to read Godsgrave and The Raven Boys

every month i want to pick a book for reread so i think i'll reread A Court of Thorns and Roses in january

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "I want to read Godsgrave and The Raven Boys

every month i want to pick a book for reread so i think i'll reread A Court of Thorns and Roses in january"

Yes, how wonderful that you're joining the buddy-read Lucie! I know you and I were also hoping for Mistborn but maybe another month. And I was thinking of finally reading A Court of Wings and Ruin, but it's pretty intimidating, haha!

Inge wrote: "Hyped books! It seems like no one will ever shut up about these books, and you’re getting kind of curious, but you’re afraid you’ll be the only one who doesn’t like it… Will you fall for the hype?
..."

You're reading the Golem and the Jinni: aaaah yes! That was my favorite book of 2016! <3 It's a pretty slow book though so don't expect a lot of action, but the characters and the world of 1900's New York are so beautifully written that I didn't mind that at all.
I hope you enjoy it Inge! :)

message 6: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I want to kick January off by completing a hyped series, so I'll be reading Hollow City and Library of Souls so that I can finish Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children!
As for other books, I'm not certain because I'm starting a new internship this month so I'm not sure how busy I will be, but I will keep you all updated :)

message 7: by Rodney (last edited Dec 31, 2017 07:04AM) (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments Inge wrote: "Hyped books! It seems like no one will ever shut up about these books, and you’re getting kind of curious, but you’re afraid you’ll be the only one who doesn’t like it… Will you fall for the hype?
..."

I read The Golem and the Jinni last month. A really good book!
At times it was just a tiny bit too slow for me, that's why I ended up giving it 4 instead of 5 stars. But all in all one of the top books I read in 2017.

I just started (well halfway by now, but I'm still counting it as a January read) A Game of Thrones. Pretty much half the world has read it by now but I'm finally getting round to it. And loving it so far!

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Yay for Game of Thrones!! I keep waiting for that next book, but sometimes I fear that we're NEVER going to get it. Sigh. Or by the time it's finally there, I will probably have forgotten what happened in all the earlier books :p

(and I am not rereading all those books with 1000+ pages haha)

For January and the hyped books theme, I'm going to try and join in with the Raven Boys buddy read. I'd also like to read Renegades by Marissa Meyer (if anyone wants to read along, if not I will probably save this till later in the year) and The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Cathy wrote: "Yay for Game of Thrones!! I keep waiting for that next book, but sometimes I fear that we're NEVER going to get it. Sigh. Or by the time it's finally there, I will probably have forgotten what happened in all the earlier books :p
(and I am not rereading all those books with 1000+ pages haha)"

Same here. I did a full re-read when A Dance with Dragons came out, but doing that once again feels like a waste of reading time... I might re-read 'DwD' to refresh, though... Oh well, still a few years to go before I need to worry about that, I'm afraid...

message 10: by Mya (new)

Mya (readwithmya) | 1 comments This month I will be readingReady Player One since the movie is coming out in a few months and I want to read the book before I watch it :)

message 11: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Mya wrote: "This month I will be readingReady Player One since the movie is coming out in a few months and I want to read the book before I watch it :)"

I am curious what you'll think about the book. I liked it a lot :)

message 12: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Cathy wrote: "Yay for Game of Thrones!! I keep waiting for that next book, but sometimes I fear that we're NEVER going to get it. Sigh. Or by the time it's finally there, I will probably have forgotten what happ..."

Yay, I'm looking forward to reading "The Girl in the Tower" as well Cathy! Arden's first book was my last read of 2017 and it was just a beautiful winter fairytale, so I'm excited to see how the story continues.

And I look forward to discuss the Raven Boys with you! :)

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Kim wrote: "Same here. I did a full re-read when A Dance with Dragons came out, but doing that once again feels like a waste of reading time... I might re-read 'DwD' to refresh, though... Oh well, still a few years to go before I need to worry about that, I'm afraid..."

Do you watch the tv show, Kim? I actually don't, and I've been thinking that maybe I should watch that instead of doing a reread of all the books. If the new release ever happens, of course :p

Puck, I agree with Arden's first book! I read it sometime in October I think and I just loved the setting a lot, so I'm eager to see what the second book in the trilogy will be like.

message 14: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinasoaur) | 10 comments I am trying to read for the Mental Illness bingo and for this prompt. So far: I'm starting The Upside of Unrequited and an Adam Silvera book (probably History is All You Left Me. It feels more appropriate with mental illness related prompt).

message 15: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I'm joining in the buddy read for The Raven Boys and at the same time I'm going to try to listen to the audiobook for Illuminae and join that buddy read. I'm also rereading/-listening The Final Empire so I can continue with the series :-)
I'm not sure if I'll have time to read any other hyped books this month :-)

message 16: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Dina wrote: "I am trying to read for the Mental Illness bingo and for this prompt. So far: I'm starting The Upside of Unrequited and an Adam Silvera book (probably History is All You Left Me. It feels more appr..."

I've read The Upside of Unrequired - I hope you will like it!
History is All You Left Me was a DNF for me :(

message 17: by Ally (new)

Ally | 22 comments This month I'm going to read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe seeing as I appear to be the only person who has not read this book! I'm also going to be rereading The Maze Runner series by James Dashner because the final movie is coming out at the end of the month and it's the perfect excuse I need to reread one of my favourite series and prepare for the film! I haven't read the last book of that series since I originally read it 5 years ago so I'm excited!

Also I'm super happy so many of you are going to be doing the buddy read for The Raven Boys- it's my favourite series aside from Harry Potter and I hope to join in as an excuse to read it again! Hopefully you guys all love it too! :)

message 18: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I am definitely going to try and read The Raven Boys and The Final Empire. Love to get into some buddy reads since I haven't read many that people have suggested!

message 19: by Gel (new)

Gel (whimsy_wanders) | 4 comments I'm reading Eleanor & Park because I've been wanting to read it since 2014.

message 20: by murphy ✌ (new)

murphy ✌ (daydreamofalife) (daydreamofalife) | 1 comments I'll be finally reading Six of Crows and I'm thinking about starting The Hate U Give too, since I bought it at the end of December!!

Happy reading, y'all! (o˘◡˘o)

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always (aimeereads) | 1 comments GAH, I love this theme because there are SO MANY BOOKS to choose from! I miiiight just try to read Warcross this month!

message 22: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Eleanor & Park, The Hate U Give, Warcross = these are all amazing books!
I hope you end up loving them all! ^^

message 23: by Esra (new)

Esra | 14 comments So, I deleted my previous comment about reading ‘Nevernight’, and ‘Strange the Dreamer’ because I randomly picked up ‘FANGIRL’ by Rainbow Rowell and, well, now I’m a YA binge and I’m pushing forward with this newfound momentum. I also read “The Princess Saves Herself in this One” which was hyped for quite a while too. I think I’m going to approach ‘The Hate U Give’, and ‘Eliza and Her Monsters’ in the next few days, and then MAYBE go back to the hyped fantasy novels. Oh, and definitely planning to continue with ‘#GirlBoss’ by Sophia Amoruso too.

There’s so much to read!!! I’m excited! (the biggest perk of being on a 3 month long break is definitely the fact that you can read as much as you want with no consequences~)

Good luck to you all! I hope y’all get some solid reading done. :)

message 24: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments OHOHOH. I am probably gonna read The Extinction Trials as soon as the postman decides to deliver this holy BOOK!

And I am probably gonna jump on EVERLESS

message 25: by Meeghan (new)

Meeghan (meeghanw) | 18 comments lucie wrote: "I want to read Godsgrave and The Raven Boys

every month i want to pick a book for reread so i think i'll reread A Court of Thorns and Roses in january"

YAAASSSSS to Godsgrave and the Raven Boys!! They were my two fave series I read last year!! (As in, The Nevernight Chronicle and The Raven Cycle, not the books specifically, although Godsgrave was my fave read of the year!) I really hope you love them Lucie!

message 26: by Meeghan (last edited Jan 03, 2018 09:28AM) (new)

Meeghan (meeghanw) | 18 comments This month I'm a bit limited as we're away (still, I know! I can't wait to go home and smell my books... the hubby thinks that's weird, but I hope you guys will understand!) so I'll be finishing off Vampire Academy series (Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice - still kind of a hyped series), and also reading Gregory and the Grimbockle (for an author requested review). I WILL be reading Illuminae and Gemina when I get home though, so YAY!

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments I just finished Moving Pictures (yes, another Pratchett). It was my 'reward' after surpassing my 2017 goal and to make sure that what I started for the remainder of 2017 wasn't going to bite off too big a chunk off january, because now I will be reading The Raven Boys with you. I don't know what the next book will be, I guess that depends on how well I like this one....

message 28: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I'll also read From Sand and Ash for this month's theme.

message 29: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 329 comments Reading CITY OF BRASS this month! I've heard a lot of good things about it :)

message 30: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne89) | 11 comments Like Angelica, I'm going to read Eleanor & Park. It's been on the bookshelf for a while now, just waiting for me to read it ;)

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I hope to make time for Turtles All the Way Down this month :)

message 32: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
It's wonderful that this theme makes everyone so excited! What a great start to 2018 😁

I went to the library today to pick up something new, and I choose another hyped scifi book: Sleeping Giants! This year the third book in the series comes out, so I'm interested to see if these books are something I need to get into. The start is already promising! :)

message 33: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments I'm looking forward to your review, looks intriguing indeed...

message 34: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Alessandra wrote: "OHOHOH. I am probably gonna read The Extinction Trials as soon as the postman decides to deliver this holy BOOK!

And I am probably gonna jump on EVERLESS"

I may try to squeeze in Everless as well :D

message 35: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "It's wonderful that this theme makes everyone so excited! What a great start to 2018 😁

I went to the library today to pick up something new, and I choose another hyped scifi book: [book:Sleeping G..."

Kim wrote: "I'm looking forward to your review, looks intriguing indeed..."

I've been eyeing this one as well! Will be looking forward to your review too...

message 36: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Mya wrote: "This month I will be readingReady Player One since the movie is coming out in a few months and I want to read the book before I watch it :)"

You will love it! I hope you love it. Eeeee :D

message 37: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Esra wrote: "So, I deleted my previous comment about reading ‘Nevernight’, and ‘Strange the Dreamer’ because I randomly picked up ‘FANGIRL’ by Rainbow Rowell and, well, now I’m a YA binge and I’m pushing forwar..."

Fangirl! The Princess Saves Herself In This One! Eliza and Her Monsters! I loved all of these. Sounds like you'll have a great reading month :D

message 38: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Dina wrote: "I am trying to read for the Mental Illness bingo and for this prompt. So far: I'm starting The Upside of Unrequited and an Adam Silvera book (probably History is All You Left Me. It feels more appr..."

Good luck, Dina! I've finished two books for the bingo already, hoping to finish #3 today and then I'm taking a break for a few days. Need to read something lighter.

message 39: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Meeghan wrote: "This month I'm a bit limited as we're away (still, I know! I can't wait to go home and smell my books... the hubby thinks that's weird, but I hope you guys will understand!) so I'll be finishing of..."

Enjoy Vampire Academy and Illuminae Files, Meeghan! :D You're in for a ride, at the very least!

message 40: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I love that this is such an active month :D yay for giveaways? Happy reading, everyone!

message 41: by Meeghan (new)

Meeghan (meeghanw) | 18 comments Inge wrote: "Meeghan wrote: "This month I'm a bit limited as we're away (still, I know! I can't wait to go home and smell my books... the hubby thinks that's weird, but I hope you guys will understand!) so I'll..."

Haha, thanks Inge! I may have stayed up til 3:00am to finish Last Sacrifice... I've also finished my author-request, so I need to find something to read on the 24 hour plane trip home now!

message 42: by Meeghan (last edited Jan 10, 2018 05:30AM) (new)

Meeghan (meeghanw) | 18 comments OK, I've figured out my plane ride book (and with 21 hours in the air I'll need at least one).
I'm starting with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and then moving onto Air Awakens unless a) I can sleep or b) they have good movies.
Wish me luck and I'll see you all on the other side!

message 43: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 10 comments Pride and Prejudice. It's a funny, fast read. I've read it several times, and HIGHLY recommend it! Good luck!

message 44: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Abbie wrote: "Pride and Prejudice. It's a funny, fast read. I've read it several times, and HIGHLY recommend it! Good luck!"

I love Pride and Prejudice! I reread it last december and it was perfect: it's indeed so fun and witty, and the chemistry between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (and Jane and Mr. Bingley!) is amazing ❤️

message 45: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments I've already read The Secret History by Donna Tartt and Night by Elie Wiesel, and I'm readingArtemis by Andy Weir right now. Next, I'm planning on reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

message 46: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Eleanor wrote: "I've already read The Secret History by Donna Tartt and Night by Elie Wiesel, and I'm readingArtemis by Andy Weir right now. Next, I'm planning on reading [..."

Those are some great books Eleanor! I hope "The Princess Bride" is as fun as the movie ;D

message 47: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I picked up The Hammer of Thor because I'm a big fan of the Magnus Chase-series, and with the weather being bad and dark here, I think now is the perfect time to read it!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guys! I picked up A Court of Mist and Fury and I'm planing to read A Darker Shade of Magic, both of them are pretty hyped! I'm loving ACOMAF <3

message 49: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Eleanor wrote: "I've already read The Secret History by Donna Tartt and Night by Elie Wiesel, and I'm readingArtemis by Andy Weir right now. Next, I'm planning on reading [..."

Oh, I love The Secret History (and Night, too), it is one of my all-time favourite books!

message 50: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Lucila wrote: "Hey guys! I picked up A Court of Mist and Fury and I'm planing to read A Darker Shade of Magic, both of them are pretty hyped! I'm loving ACOMAF <3"

Great choices, Lucila!

« previous 1