Y is for Yesterday (Kinsey Millhone, #25) Y is for Yesterday discussion

Sue Grafton

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patti (new) - added it

Patti So sad about Sue Grafton's passing.
I was on the way to the library to return a book when my sister texted me the CNN link. The woman in front of me was just returning "Y is for Yesterday" from the Seattle Public Library's Peak Picks shelf. I checked it out and started to read again.

message 2: by TX_Gal (new)

TX_Gal I saw it too. I'm going to miss her Kinsey series. So very sad.

message 3: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary I read on Wikipedia that her daug)hter has announced that alphabet series will definitely conclude with "Y." Ms. Grafton was very clear that it would not be ghostwritten(Z) and that Kinsey would not appear in film or television form.

message 4: by Patti (new) - added it

Patti I thought her daughter's comment was so beautiful: "As far as the family is concerned, the alphabet ends at Y."
Sadly.

Rori We are so lucky to have 25 books with Kinsey.

Corinne Johnston So sad to hear of her passing. I had already shared the news on my Facebook feed, with the comment "the alphabet ends with Y" and then later saw her daughter's comment. I think this winter I'll raid my own shelves and the library and begin from A again!

message 7: by Patti (new) - added it

Patti Corinne wrote: "So sad to hear of her passing. I had already shared the news on my Facebook feed, with the comment "the alphabet ends with Y" and then later saw her daughter's comment. I think this winter I'll rai..."

Me too! 8-)

Lark37 Now we will never know the end of Kinsey's story. I just finished Y is for Yesterday, the day she passed away. The literary world has lost one of it's best modern mystery writers. Her Kinsey Millhone, along with VI Warshawski, was one of the first series featuring a female PI. She blazed a path for other authors to follow. While I'm disappointed that Ms Grafton didn't want a ghost writer to finish the series by writing Z, I understand her wishes and am glad her family is respecting them. Now to reread all of them!

Steph It is fitting that Sue didn't want anyone else to continue Kinsey's story. I'm glad. It wouldn't be the same at all, and we all know it.

L Corky So sad, may she rest in peace.

message 11: by Len (new) - rated it 3 stars

Len White I fully understand Sue not wanting a ghost writer to complete the series, but I'm wondering why she would be against a movie of one of her earlier novels. I've always wondered in the past why a movie hadn't happened, considering that the series is so popular.

Steph There's a book called "G" Is for Grafton: The World of Kinsey Milhone by Natalie Hevener Kaufman and Carol McGinnis Kay, and in it, I think, Sue gives her reason(s) for not wanting movies based on the series nor a ghostwriter. I still have the book; however, it's been years since I've read it.

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Isenberg I'm just past halfway with "Y is for Yesterday." I just have to say that I don't think I'm going to agree with anything lower than four stars. Grafton is so NOT a lazy writer. I love the detail she adds and how clear she explains everything. Not to mention all the research that goes into things like what it's like to scoot around under buildings and all you might find there and telephone call boxes and exactly how her gun works. That stuff is all so impressive! And I don't mind the flashing back and forth either. This book is so richly plotted which must have been very difficult. One reason it was difficult is that there are two cases being discussed and lived through by Kinsey. The other is that Grafton was probably sick while she was writing it! I just love her and will miss her so much.

Rubina That is sad to hear. She was a great writer. I loved how the Alphabet series were set in pre-computer and cellphone time. I don't think a ghostwriter will be able to do justice to the series.
She will be missed.

message 15: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary I think she want anybody's version of Kinsey to be the correct version. In my version Kinsey sound like Judy Kaye, who does the audio books. A movie would impose someone else version of Kidney on future reader.

message 16: by Maryann (new) - added it

Maryann I was so sad when I heard Sue passed 😢. I read every book and loved every one ❤️
R.I.P. Sue

message 17: by Pegg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pegg Hynes I was devastated to hear of Sue Grafton's passing. Kinsey Milhone has been my hero for 20 years, and I don't know what I am going to do without her.
R.I.P. Sue and GodSpeed Kinsey...