Feminist Future discussion

Any interest in a group read?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments I’ve been a member of Good Reads for many years but just this year joined groups for the first time. In lieu of a New Year’s Resolution I’ve decided that I’m declaring 2018 my year to ‘Focus on New Experiences’! I’m going to make an even more conscious effort to do things I’ve never done, go to places I’ve never been, etc.

I’ve never participated in a group read before and wondered if there would be any interest? The book I have in mind is
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Thoughts? Any interest?

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam This has been in my "to read" pile. I'm game!

message 3: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Elmore (sierraelmore) This book looks good! A group read could be fun.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 49 comments Mod
By all means feel free to set up a group read.

Let me know if you wish me to add something about it on the main page x

message 5: by Sakshi (new)

Sakshi Kathuria (pagesinsidemyheadoninstagram) | 1 comments Sounds good. I am game too. Let me know when you wish to start

message 6: by Ginney (new)

Ginney Norton | 1 comments I’m up for a group read!

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 7 comments I would like to join! I haven't heard of this book but it sounds great. Anyone know how to set up a book club?

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 6 comments Would love to join, I do the majority of my reading through my library but the wait list isn’t long on this yet since it isn’t out.

message 9: by Marwah (new)

Marwah (luculentlady) I’ve never done a group read but I’d love to try and this book looks interesting. I’m in.

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 7 comments Would I be horrible if I got this from Audible? Some people are sticklers about reading the physical book for book club but it is read by the author and I love that!

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam Feel free.

You can take notes or audio slices when you find a passage you really like and want to quote later.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments I’m also on the short wait list for this at my local library!

message 13: by jas (new)

jas (thependlebtch) I'll gladly join in for a group read :)

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz Power | 1 comments I’m in!

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 7 comments I definitely think we have enough interest! Should we start reading on Feb 1st. Has anyone set up a read-along before? Should we break the book into essays and read 2-3 a week?

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments Feb 1st sounds like a good start date to me. I’m unsure of the book’s actual release date but I know my library has 10 copies on order. I’m uncertain how many essays are in this collection but I think breaking the book into a few essays at a time is a good idea, seems like that would stimulate more dialogue and keep it manageable.

message 17: by jas (new)

jas (thependlebtch) it's avaliable to pre-order on Amazon (UK) for the 8th of February. Not sure if it's any different for other retailers. I'm happy to work around everyone else, and will catch up if needs be :)

message 18: by Ella (last edited Jan 09, 2018 04:23PM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) Yay! I quite literally just bought/pre-ordered this 3 days ago. So I'm in. Also, I'm new in this group; so hi.

PS: In the US, it won't be out until the 30th. Should we wait an extra week for the UK readers? What if we started with just one essay - then catching up wouldn't be so hard?

message 19: by jas (new)

jas (thependlebtch) I've pre-ordered it from a different retailer and I should hopefully receive it a week earlier, but as I've said it's absolutely no trouble for me to work around everyone else. But will anyone else have trouble acquiring a copy in time for Feb 1st and would like the group read to be held off a week or so?

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments I agree that waiting a week would allow for more of us to get the book before we start as a group. 📚😊

message 21: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah I’ll see if I can get it at the library. I don’t have a lot of extra cash, right now. On the 15th I might be able to borrow some money and order a used copy. But I can’t get it right away. Sorry! Start the read without me; I’ll catch up ASAP.

message 22: by Ella (last edited Jan 30, 2018 07:15PM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) 1) I'm assuming you all know this is you marked our Feb read as "to read" but there is currently a giveaway here on Goodreads for this book.

2) The book flowed to Kindles & library shelves today in the US, so are we still doing this?

3) I added it to our bookshelf here in this group -- and I just picked sort of random dates -- from 7th Feb through 15th March, but feel free to change that if we want longer etc, and we should start a sep thread for the discussion once we start officially reading.

Looking forward to this book a LOT, can you tell?

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 6 comments Still in! Hoping some fast readers are in line before me at my library so I can get to it before the 7th, but if not I'll purchase to participate.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 7 comments That is a choice pick! Feel free to post any recs in future too. More reading is always welcome.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 6 comments Should we start new topics, or how does this go forward? (Sorry, new to group reads but I'm two chapters in!)

message 26: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) I had hoped that adding the book would automatically allow us to create at least one thread about that book, but I don't see how. Maybe someone better at Goodreads in general can help with this? I too am a few chapters in. I've been slowing myself down b/c I wanted to make sure I didn't get too far ahead.

Does anyone else know how to create threads in a book topic? Do you need to be a moderator to do that?

message 27: by Jasmine (new)

I'm happy to create a new moderator to do this from one who is involved in this group read (sadly I'm unable to be involved this time).

Any volunteers?

message 28: by jas (new)

jas (thependlebtch) I'm happy enough to volunteer (as I too have started reading it), but if there is someone else who is a bit more experienced with Goodreads than I am, then please by all means!

message 29: by Jasmine (new)

Jas wrote: "I'm happy enough to volunteer (as I too have started reading it), but if there is someone else who is a bit more experienced with Goodreads than I am, then please by all means!"

Wonderful! Jas I'm going to make you a Mod and let you get the ball rolling! But if anymore women wish to help then absolutely everyone can pitch in.

Unlike egotistical male-run groups, we appreciate an inclusive, collegiate atmosphere here :)

The future is female x

message 30: by jas (new)

jas (thependlebtch) Thank you, Jasmine! :) I've added This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America to our currently-reading, if this is what people meant? And I'll have a look at creating folders and threads etc for the individual chapters. The reading dates are just a rough guess at this point, so don't worry if for whatever reason you can't start reading it just yet :)

message 31: by jas (last edited Feb 13, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

jas (thependlebtch) Update: I've created a folder with the individual chapters listed as folders of their own. I hope this has helped! Please let me know x