Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > The Tommyknockers-Stephen King challenge #22

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Latasha (last edited Jan 26, 2018 02:28PM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10842 comments Mod
Continuing with our Stephen King challenge with The Tommyknockers. All the usual rules apply. read and have fun! coming up next we have:
The Dark Half
The Stand (the complete and uncut version)
Four Past Midnight
Needful Things

Since this is such a massive book, I am starting this thread early.(we usually begin on the 13th of the month) I've already began reading- only 18 pages- so don't feel bad if you do as well. I think this one is going to take longer than a month, so just be active in this thread so I know who all is participating.

READING-
Latasha
Terry
Feli
Barbara

message 2: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4867 comments I plan on joining, but I'm still a week or two from starting. Still have a little less than half of Misery plus my first book by SK's son Joe Hill (NOS4A2) to finish.

message 3: by Latasha (new)

Terry wrote: "I plan on joining, but I'm still a week or two from starting. Still have a little less than half of Misery plus my first book by SK's son Joe Hill (NOS4A2) to finish."

that's fine. this one is going to take a while.

message 4: by Shan (new)

Shan (shananigans13) | 21 comments Joining!!

message 5: by Latasha (new)

Shan wrote: "Joining!!"

welcome Shan from FB! :)

message 6: by Latasha (new)

I didn’t know this book takes place in Haven. Did any of y’all watch the tv show? I watched the first season. I liked it but for some reason never bothered with S2.

message 7: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments I will join, but not sure if I can start right now. I think it will be more likely to start Tommyknockers in about 1 or 2 weeks if that's okay. Just got a copy of that book and I have absolutely no idea what it's about, but I really like reading books that way :)

message 8: by Sofia (new)

Sofia I'm am definitely interested in joining!

message 9: by Latasha (last edited Dec 30, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Glad to have you both here Feli & Sofia.

message 10: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread | 1853 comments Natasha, I watched the series Haven, and read Tommyknockers (a top favorite) and didn't really see a connection.
There is an old made for tv mini series starring Jimmy Smits and Marg Helgenberger, you might want to look it up. I suggest watching only if you read the book first!!

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Yes, I’ve seen that movie but don’t really remember much about it.

message 12: by Latasha (new)

I'm on page 46, chapter 4 and I have an idea...don't tell me if I'm right or wrong please! but what if (view spoiler) you can read my spoiler if you've read IT. not much has happened so far. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Latasha (new)

I've put this on hold for a minute. reading 2 vampire novels. they are both short so I hope to be done with at least one of them soon.

message 14: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments I guess I will start this the next week. I decided to read the english Version, since it's easier for me ti discuss it with you that way, but now I have to wait for my copy.

Hope you'll like the vampire novels, Latasha.
Are those the ones you recommended in the Public Domain thread? :)

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Feli wrote: "I guess I will start this the next week. I decided to read the english Version, since it's easier for me ti discuss it with you that way, but now I have to wait for my copy.

Hope you'll like the v..."

no, I'm reading The Suicide Motor Club and Sunglasses After Dark one is a buddy read and the last is a group read for another group I'm in. you can join either if you want. both are good, but definitely not romantic style vampires. they are mean!

message 16: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments Good, I like the mean ones much more :D

Thanks, but with Tommyknockers & The Terror starting soon, there are 2 massive books I will be reading as BRs. I hope I will make it, though :)

message 17: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4867 comments I'll probably start Tommyknockers sometime next week or the end of this week, too. It'll be slow going as I've got two other reads going also, plus I want to join The Terror read, but it will be later in February before I can get to it. So many big books - you too, Feli!

message 18: by Latasha (new)

oh my! yes, with those 2 you all are good for a few months. The Terror is good. good luck with both of those huge books!

message 19: by Latasha (new)

I finished up reading some but this is still on hold. is anyone else reading it yet?

message 20: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4867 comments I have not started yet. Hoping to later this week. Need to download the audiobook.

message 21: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments I'm planning to start in Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm a bit behind with reading but hope to catch up. Really want to start soon :)

message 22: by Latasha (new)

yay! I got the audiobook and got to listen today! I think there is a scene with Jack from The Talisman yes! there is. I love when SK does this. it isn't anything important, no spoiler.

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 22 comments would love to join in this Stephen King is one of my fav authors. just don't have the money to get the books to read

message 24: by Latasha (new)

Kimberly wrote: "would love to join in this Stephen King is one of my fav authors. just don't have the money to get the books to read"

I got mine from the library, check there. we also have a kindle lending thread you can ask if anyone has it to lend.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 25: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments I was lucky with this one, got a free Hardcover copy in German and the english Paperback for 5€ on Amazon. The Kindle version was more expensive, lol.

Hope you find a copy to read along with us, Kimberly. :)

Just started reading and am in Page 35/Chapter 2. It's interesting so far but while scanning the reviews offline my friends I found a huge spoiler, arg. But it's my own fault, I should have ignored the reviews while reading the book ^^

Latasha, your theory about the IT-related spoiler is interesting. Wouldn't have thought of that, but who knows... It's a great idea!

Haven't read The Talisman yet, but I absolutely understand you. It always makes me so excited when seeing connections and references in King's works :)

message 26: by Latasha (new)

I’ve seen the movie so I have an idea... sorry you saw the spoiler :(

message 27: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4867 comments Feli wrote: "I was lucky with this one, got a free Hardcover copy in German and the english Paperback for 5€ on Amazon. The Kindle version was more expensive, lol.

Hope you find a copy to read along with us, K..."

Oh man, Feli, I hate when I do that and stumble on a spoiler. Hopefully it won't ruin it too much for you. I've done pretty good so far, and have no idea what this one is about going into it.

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Senteney (trollbridgeblogger) Awesome book I got an old beat up copy, so guess I'm in

message 29: by Feli (last edited Jan 18, 2018 09:49AM) (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments Just finished Chapter 6 (p.157/980)

I'm liking it so far, really had to laugh at the (view spoiler)

Also, and here I am not sure because I haven't seen the movie or know anything about the Tommyknockers and if it is explained later in the book, but (view spoiler)

message 30: by Latasha (new)

I’m up to book 2 tales of haven and it’s not explained yet. About gardener. The tale about Becka Paulson is hilarious. Hugh Crane from house on haunted Hill is talked about and I loved that. I feel like a lot of this section features characters from other books but I can’t place them.

message 31: by Latasha (new)

Chapters 8,9, 10-

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4867 comments I'm already behind! I'm in the middle of ch2 so far. Already very curious.

message 33: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments Terry wrote: "I'm already behind! I'm in the middle of ch2 so far. Already very curious."

You'll catch up. I will read a some Shortstories for the weekend pick up Tommyknockers on Monday/Tuesday again :)
It's great so far, really liking it!
Just noticed Gardener mentioning "ka" and I loved it :D

message 34: by Latasha (new)

I've been listening and reading it.

message 35: by Terry (last edited Jan 22, 2018 06:01PM) (new)

Terry | 4867 comments Feli wrote: "Terry wrote: "I'm already behind! I'm in the middle of ch2 so far. Already very curious."

You'll catch up. I will read a some Shortstories for the weekend pick up Tommyknockers on Monday/Tuesday a..."

I made it up to the start of ch6. Very interesting so far, and so obvious its a Stephen King book! I've always liked his foreshadowing he slips into his books, and this one has it too.

On your second spoiler, I wondered the same thing, but hadn't thought of it that way! (view spoiler)

message 36: by Latasha (last edited Jan 22, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

I think there is a reference to every book he's written up to this point.

describing becoming, read once you get to part 3 or the third book. I think that's safe.
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Latasha (new)

I'm almost done and this is just crazy. how is everyone else doing?

message 38: by Latasha (new)

I just looked at the page count for the dark half. jesus! I guess there is no more short Stephen King books from here on out. it's 496 pages.

message 39: by Latasha (new)

ok!! from here on out, if you say your reading these with us, we'll just wait til everyone is done and we ALL will decide on a date cause that 496 is the shortest one out of the up coming ones I listed above. but just so everyone knows, I'm not reading the stand with y'all. I've read it and it was good but not good enough to read again lol.

message 40: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm almost done and this is just crazy. how is everyone else doing?"

Just finished two of my other books and will catch up with Tommyknockers this weekend. Will have plenty of time for that :)

Latasha wrote: "ok!! from here on out, if you say your reading these with us, we'll just wait til everyone is done and we ALL will decide on a date cause that 496 is the shortest one out of the up coming ones I li..."

I won't read The Dark Half with you because I've read it in 2016 I think and it's still on my mind, ha! It was good, though :)
But I would be glad to read those other books, especially the Stand, with you later on.

message 41: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4867 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm almost done and this is just crazy. how is everyone else doing?"

I am right at midway through this. Crazy is a good description so far! I would say I'm going to try to be done by the end of next week, but we'll see.

message 42: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4867 comments Feli wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I'm almost done and this is just crazy. how is everyone else doing?"

Just finished two of my other books and will catch up with Tommyknockers this weekend. Will have plenty of time..."

You'll easily catch me, Feli, 😁.

I was planning on joining for all of the next ones, including The Stand. I've not read any of them yet, so they'll all be the first time through for me.

message 43: by Latasha (new)

Ok so it’s just me, Terry & Feli?

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Senteney (trollbridgeblogger) I almost forgot how good this story is, kudos Stephen King

message 45: by Latasha (new)

and Barbara.

message 46: by Latasha (new)

Shan (always.sp0oky) wrote: "Joining!!"

Shan, you still with us?

message 47: by Myst (new)

Myst | 401 comments I havent started yet, but I thought this one was to be a 2 month read?

Either way real life is disagreeable to a 700+ page book right now.

message 48: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2425 comments I just ordered a copy. It should be published in March, I’ll come back and chat when I get a chance to read it!

message 49: by Latasha (new)

Myst wrote: "I havent started yet, but I thought this one was to be a 2 month read?

Either way real life is disagreeable to a 700+ page book right now."

if you are going to start it soon, yes we can wait for you. I'm trying to find out who all is still reading.

message 50: by Latasha (new)

I'm done. I gave it 3 stars. it was good but such a massive book! poor peter broke my heart more than any of the characters did lol

« previous 1