RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2018 Genre Challenges > January'18: Science-Fiction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (last edited Jan 04, 2018 08:10AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2174 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year guys! Hope this year you get to read tons and tons of new and amazing books!
At RMFAO we always begin our year with a Science-Fiction month and this year, keeping up with this tradition, we'll be starting 2018 with a month full of out-of-the-world sci-fi reads.

There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centred around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing.
If you have any doubts or questions, then post them below and we'll be happy to answer/discuss them.

Here is the DEFINITION for this month's genre:

Science-Fiction: Science fiction (often shortened to sci-fi or scifi) is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life. Science fiction often explores the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations, and has been called a "literature of ideas." It usually eschews the supernatural, and unlike the related genre of fantasy, historically science fiction stories were intended to have at least a faint grounding in science-based fact or theory at the time the story was created, but this connection has become tenuous or non-existent in much of science fiction.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
HB: Hardbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯BONUS CHALLENGE⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Read a book with a popular expression for the title (eg. Gone With The Wind, Carry On, Catch-22)

PS: We're having a sci-fi buddy read this month starting from 5th January for Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. You can join us anytime throughout the month of January here: Buddy Read: Ready Player One

PLEASE READ (especially new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Heena (last edited Dec 31, 2017 08:58PM) (new)

Happy New Year, guys!!

I'll be going with Level-5 this month. My to-read list for Sci-Fi for Jan:
1. Stranger in a Strange Land - Paperback
2. Ready Player One - Paperback
3. For the Glory of the Motherboard: Rise of the Robotariat - E-book
4. River Rising (by one of my favourite Sci-Fi authors) - E-book
5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Audiobook

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3271 comments Mod
OMG, I read Stranger in a Strange Land soooo long ago. I do seem to remember that I really, really liked it.

I'll have to round up my list and post it. The one thing I know is that I'll be listening to the audio book of The Lost World

message 4: by Heena (new)

So far even I'm liking it. The writing is a bit too rich, but I'm getting the hang of it the more I'm reading.

message 5: by Dagny (new)

OK, the only science fiction for sure this month for me is The Lost World (Professor Challenger #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle. Notice this is not the Michael Crichton book which is a great read. This is the old one by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and will also count toward the Classics Catchup Challenge. I'm listening to the free audiobook from LibriVox so it also fits that Challenge for three in one. It starts off and I wondered if I had the correct book downloaded as it sounded like a romance or a YA book. But it is slowly going. I've seen a couple of the old movies and maybe even read the book before but had forgotten how long it took them to actually get going on the odyssey. I might end up listening to the second in the series too.

I have War of the Worlds: The Resurrection This is based on the TV series and their characters so it is updated to modern times. I enjoyed the series but it has been so long ago that I'm pretty much forgotten most of the characters aside from Iron Horse. If he's not in this one, or I'm not enjoying it, I won't bother finishing it.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) Hi--I'm currently reading a mystery for my other group challenge, but I looked through my TBR list, and found The Martian was a book that I had wanted to read. I didn't see the movie, but I see that the book got a lot of good reviews, so that will be my pick for January.

message 7: by Heena (last edited Jan 01, 2018 09:37PM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "OK, the only science fiction for sure this month for me is The Lost World (Professor Challenger #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle. Notice this is not the Michael Crichton book which is a great read. This i..."

After reading your suggestions on Classics' page, I also wanted to read this book (even series), but Jan looks packed already. Though I'll be reading it in the later months. Do let me know your thoughts on the book.

message 8: by Heena (new)

Donna wrote: "Hi--I'm currently reading a mystery for my other group challenge, but I looked through my TBR list, and found The Martian was a book that I had wanted to read. I didn't see the movi..."

Great pick! I wanted to read Martian too for this challenge but other books came in the way. I've watched the movie and it was really good, so I'm sure the book's going to be great. Happy reading!

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Donna wrote: "I looked through my TBR list, and found The Martian was a book that I had wanted to read. I didn't see the movi..."

I absolutely loved this book! It's one I can easily see myself as reading again at a future date. There are a few draggy parts - mostly the team back on Earth which didn't capture my attention as much as the Mars parts - but they're minor. The Martian parts were riveting.

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny wrote: The Lost World (Professor Challenger #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle.

After reading your suggestions on Classics' page, I also wanted to read this book (even series), but Jan looks packed already. Though I'll be reading it in the later months. Do let me know your thoughts on the book. "

I'm at about the halfway point and they're finally on their way! The preliminary part is very talkie, but interesting enough giving everyone's thoughts and motivations. I think there are three audio versions at LibriVox. I'm listening the one marked version 2. The reader is Mark Smith and I've listened to him several times, an excellent reader. https://librivox.org/the-lost-world-b...

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "I looked through my TBR list, and found The Martian was a book that I had wanted to read. I didn't see the movi..."

I absolutely loved this book! It's one I can easil..."

Great! I'm looking forward to reading it and then seeing the movie!

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1944 comments Mod
I will be aiming for Level 5. There are alot of YA science fiction books I've been wanting to read, so I'll put them on my list for the January challenge.

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I will be aiming for Level 5. There are alot of YA science fiction books I've been wanting to read, so I'll put them on my list for the January challenge."

Ambitious, Cheryl! Good for you. I think the highest I'll get is Level 3. I'm enjoying Conan Doyle's The Lost World so much that I'll probably listen to the 2nd in the series also.

message 14: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I will be aiming for Level 5. There are alot of YA science fiction books I've been wanting to read, so I'll put them on my list for the January challenge."

All the best, Cheryl!

message 15: by Heena (new)

I've posted the Bonus Challenge in the first comment (the description) on this thread.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "I've posted the Bonus Challenge in the first comment (the description) on this thread."

Heena,

You could not have planned the Bonus Challenge any better for me this month. I am reading Gone With the Wind for another book group's January read. What luck!

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "You could not have planned the Bonus Challenge any better for me this month. I am reading Gone With the Wind for another book group's January read. What luck! "

How cool for you, Cheryl!

message 18: by Dagny (new)

When I awoke this morning, our cable was down (tv, internet and phone) so it gave me a good opportunity to finish listening to my first science fiction book this month.
1. The Lost World
I really enjoyed it and have already downloaded the second in the series, The Poison Belt This is from LibriVox and is also read by Mark Smith. I won't be starting it right way, but should get to it well before the end of January. It's much shorter than the first, around three and a quarter hours is all.

message 19: by Charvi (last edited Jan 04, 2018 11:20PM) (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) Hi! I am new here and will be going for Level 3 this month :)
My list has-

1) The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
2) Warcross by Marie Lu
3) The Origin by Dan Brown

The Dan Brown books are paperback and hardcover while Warcross is epub. Good luck everyone!

message 20: by Dagny (new)

Charvi wrote: "Hi! I am new here and will be going for Level 3 this month :)"

Hi, Charvi, welcome to the group and the challenge! How interesting. I'm just starting Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. I hadn't thought of his books as science fiction. I'm going to try to read or listen to all five of the Robert Langdon books out so far as part of my Series Challenge.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Charvi wrote: "Hi! I am new here and will be going for Level 3 this month :) "

Welcome to the group, Charvi, and welcome to the Science Fiction Challenge. Your book choices all sound interesting. Enjoy them!

message 22: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 07, 2018 01:23PM) (new)

I just finished my first book for the challenge:

1.) Scythe by Neal Shusterman (hardcover)
4 stars. A great YA science fiction book!

message 23: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 07, 2018 01:24PM) (new)

2.) Copperhead, Vol. 1 by Jay Faerber Copperhead, Vol. 1 by Jay Faerber (paperback)

3 stars. This is a space-western graphic novel, so there are alot of genres combined in this one book. Alot of fun, with a great female sheriff and her alien deputy.

message 24: by Dagny (new)

That does sound like fun, Cheryl. I like the idea of a female sheriff and an alien deputy.

message 25: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I just finished Warcross by Marie Lu and am giving it a 5/5 rating because it simply stole my heart and I cannot stop thinking about it(I read it in one sitting, it was so addictive)

Definitely recommend you all to read it unless you have a sensitive heart because the sequel comes out God knows when 😭💔😭

message 26: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Copperhead, Vol. 1 by Jay Faerber (paperback) 3 stars. This is a space-western graphic novel, so there are alot of genres combined in this one book. Alot of fun, with a great female sheriff and her alien deputy."

I love Copperhead. I've read the first two volumes only, but I'm looking forward to reading the entire series.

message 27: by Heena (new)

Charvi wrote: "I just finished Warcross by Marie Lu and am giving it a 5/5 rating because it simply stole my heart and I cannot stop thinking about it(I read it in one sitting, it was so addictive)"

Sounds interesting. I'm going to add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the rec.

message 28: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 08, 2018 05:31AM) (new)

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

4 stars. (If I was a gamer, it would get 5 stars.) So much fun! It's ultimately a futuristic treasure hunt set in a virtual world. Lots of late 1970s through 1980s nostalgia. So glad I read it.

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

4 stars. (If I was a gamer, it would get 5 stars.) So much fun! "

I'm not in on the buddy read because there were almost twenty people with it on hold. I'm sure going to keep it in mind for later in the year though. Would it fit in the Fantasy category?

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny,

It would fit in Adventure or Mystery categories, in my opinion.

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Dagny,

It would fit in Adventure or Mystery categories, in my opinion."

Thanks, Cheryl. The queue shouldn't be so long by the end of the year, lol.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

4.) Planetoid Vol. 1 TP by Ken Garing Planetoid Vol. 1 TP by Ken Garing

3 stars. Another science fiction graphic novel. This one is pretty dark, with robots kind of like in The Terminator ruling a planet.

message 33: by Dagny (new)

#2 - The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger #2) by Arthur Conan Doyle

2 1/2 stars. Not nearly as good as The Lost World and a totally different premise.

message 34: by Dagny (new)

I've started Dan Brown's Angels and Demons and can see why Charvi mentioned it as being science fiction. Quite a bit of advanced speculative science. Enjoying it so far.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) I have two mysteries under my belt for my mystery group, and have started The Martian for the January genre challenge for this group. I'm about 100 pages in, and am enjoying it. It draws you in pretty quickly. This is the first book I've read by Andy Weir, and I'm looking forward to reading others by him. Much of the chemistry and calculations that Mark figures out for survival are over my head, but I'm enjoying the thriller aspect of his and NASA's race against time to save his life.

message 36: by Dagny (new)

Donna wrote: "This is the first book I've read by Andy Weir, and I'm looking forward to reading others by him."

The Martian was also my first book by Weir. Haven't gotten around to any others yet, but want to read Artemis for sure.

message 37: by Heena (new)

1. Stranger In A Strange Land - 3/5 - a lot of unnecessary wandering, though great concept.

2. Ready Player One - 5/5 - Amazing book. A must-read for everyone! Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) I finished The Martian today. Wow, what a great read--very suspenseful! Some parts of it get a little technical, but overall, it drew me in from beginning to end. I'm looking forward now to seeing the movie to see how it compares.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Donna wrote: "I finished The Martian today. Wow, what a great read--very suspenseful! Some parts of it get a little technical, but overall, it drew me in from beginning to end."

So glad you enjoyed it, Donna! I'm sure it will be extra fun to watch the movie now, after reading the book.

message 40: by Dagny (new)

Donna wrote: "I finished The Martian today. Wow, what a great read--very suspenseful! "

Yea, Donna! I don't know anyone who read this book and didn't love it.

message 41: by Dagny (new)

#3. Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon #1) by Dan Brown

4 stars. Fascinating. I'm very curious to know what is fact and what is fiction. The last half, maybe the last 2/3 was almost non-stop action. Even the talking where they were trying to figure out what to do next was like action. Only one characters rather interminable speeches were a bit of a drag - however, they were necessary to the plot.

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

5.) Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

3 stars. It's more Apocalyptic YA, but there is a mad scientist who creates an army of giant killer praying mantisses so I'm claiming it for the Science Fiction Challenge.

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

6.) The Night of the Long Knives by Fritz Leiber

2 stars. 1960 SF set in a post-nuclear war America. It started off good (kind of like Mad Max), but got preachy with anti-violence monologues by one character towards the end of the story. It can be found for free at Project Gutenberg.

message 44: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) Finished my second book- 'Origin' npvy Dan Brown.
It was pretty good and the author's theories were mind blowing as usual but I feel that the middle was pretty strethed out. Giving it a four star review

message 45: by Dagny (new)

Charvi wrote: "Finished my second book- 'Origin' npvy Dan Brown."

I've got a way to go before getting to that one, Charvi. But I hope to get to it before the end of the year for my Series Challenge.

message 46: by Heena (new)

3. River Rising - 5/5 stars

This was my 6th or 7th book by the author and as usual, author Heldt's time-travel story was as good as it can get. I'm glad that this was the first book in his new series, so I'm looking forward to the other books too!

message 47: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 22, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

7.) Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian k. Vaughan

3 stars. First in a graphic novel SF/Fantasy series.

message 48: by Dagny (new)

Yea, I picked up Ash and Quill at the library today, so I'll get that one read for my 4th and last for this month.

message 49: by Heena (last edited Jan 26, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

My fourth book for Sci-Fi is Swan Song by Robert McCammon. I had wanted to read it for the Apocalyptic month, but I already have The Stand by SK for it, so I thought I'll read it this month, but considering that I'm only 2/9 parts done with it, it'll probably take me another 10-15 days to finish this.

I'll try and finish the other short story I was reading and count it as 4th instead.

message 50: by Heena (new)

Here's the link to the February - Mystery-Thrillers' board: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

« previous 1