The Second Star Society discussion

General Announcements

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 77 comments Mod
You guys! I just had an awesome idea! We should listen to the soundtrack of the 2003 live action Peter Pan movie (or really any Peter Pan themed movie you like) while we read our retellings!
You don't have to if you don't want to, I just thought it would make it a lot more fun. What do you think? :D

message 2: by Heather (new)

Hey guys! Are you excited? Today kicks off day one of reading our Peter Pan retellings! I am so excited to start reading The Neverland Wars tonight! (I have some blogging to catch up on today so I won't have much time to read during the day) but I hope you all enjoy your books! Feel free to tell me what you're reading and how you're liking them, and I can set up some discussion boards for you! :D
Happy reading!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Hey Guys! You may have noticed I put the book up for next month on the main page, Once Upon a Dream by Liz Braswell. Can you guess what the theme is?
Sleeping Beauty! :)
I'm excited to read this book! I read the first one in Braswell's standalone series about Disney retellings, A Whole New World, that was about Aladdin, last summer and I LOVED it! I hope you are all excited about this theme too!

Also just a friendly reminder: you have a week and a half left to finish up your Peter Pan retellings for this month before we jump into Sleeping Beauty for February! :D I hope you all are having fun and enjoying them so far!

Bye! <3

message 4: by Heather (new)

Hey guys! I just posted my review of The Neverland Wars on my blog! I would love to discuss it with you guys!
https://frozenbooksblog.blogspot.com/...

message 5: by Heather (new)

Awesome! I'm glad I could inspire you to finally check it off your TBR. 😂

message 6: by Heather (new)

Just a friendly reminder you have 11 more days to read your Sleeping Beauty retellings! :) I will announce the theme for March on the 20th, so stay tuned!

message 7: by Zibbernaut (new)

Zibbernaut I'm sitting this one out, but looking forward to a new retelling next month !

message 8: by Heather (new)

Awe, ok. Next month I think it will be easier for people to participate since it's a pretty popular story. I'm excited to reveal it soon! 😁

message 9: by Heather (new)

Drumroll please...the time has come to announce March's theme!

It is....

Cinderella! :D

This month I will be reading Geekerella by Ashley Poston, which I am REALLY excited about since it's a relatively new book and I've heard some good things about it.

Remember, you can read ANY retelling of Cinderella this month, but I'm excited to read Geekerella with whoever wants to join me!

I know there are a TON of Cinderella retellings out there, so I'll be sure to scour the internet to make a list of suggestions for you to check out! ;)

There's still 8 days left to read your Sleeping Beauty retellings for this month! I'm planning on having a reading marathon this afternoon, since I'm still only 24% through OUAD, but as long as I can get it done this week, I'll be okay. :P

message 10: by Heather (new)

Awesome! I'm glad you're excited! :D

message 11: by Heather (new)

Hey! My review for Once Upon A Dream is up! :)

message 12: by Heather (last edited Mar 20, 2018 04:49PM) (new)

Hey guys! Just a reminder you have 11 days left to finish your Cinderella retellings!

I'm sorry the home page showed the February book for the majority of this month, but I didn't notice it didn't change until today. :/ But just in case there's any confusion, the official book this month is Geekerella by Ashley Poston. There's still time left to read it, so I would love to discuss it with you guys! I'm really enjoying it so far!

Anyway, announcing the theme for April...Beauty and the Beast! :D

Next month I will be reading Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donnelly, which I am REALLY excited about, since it's inspired by the live action Disney movie!

Remember you can read this book with me or any other Beauty and the Beast retelling that you want!

Are you excited about this theme? Let's chat about it! :)

message 13: by Heather (new)

Oh that sounds really cool! It's okay that you fell off track, I wanted this book club to be pretty laid back. 😊

message 14: by Heather (new)

Hey fellow book nerds! :) My review for Geekerella is up so go check it out!

message 15: by Heather (new)

Hey guys! I hope you are all enjoying your Beauty and the Beast retellings! Just a reminder that we only have a few days left to finish them up, because on May 1st, I will start reading a new book for May's theme which is.....

Sherlock Holmes! :D

May's Book of the Month will be A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro, which I have been wanting to read for a while now so I'm pretty excited! :)
Remember you don't have to read the same book that I do if you don't want to, you can read any Sherlock Holmes retelling that you want! I will make a new thread with a list of any Sherlock Holmes retellings that any one is welcome to read from or add to. :)

Thanks for reading with me! <3

message 16: by Heather (new)

Hi!
My review for Lost in A Book is up on my blog if you want to check it out! :D

message 17: by Heather (new)

Hello fellow book nerds!
Just a reminder that you only have a few days left to finish up your Sherlock retellings! Then in June we will move on to...

Wait for it... :P

The Little Mermaid!

That's right, June's theme is The Little Mermaid, and for my book of the month, I will be reading the newly released To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo! I don't get to read new books very often, and I have heard some great things about this one, so I'm excited! :D

You do not have to read this particular book with me if you don't want to; you can read any Little Mermaid retellings that you want, and I will make a list in another topic of other Little Mermaid retellings to help you decide!

That's all for now, and thanks for reading with me! :D

message 18: by Heather (new)

Hey guys! I just posted my review of A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro over on my blog if you want to check it out!

And I changed To Kill A Kingdom to our group's currently reading shelf, so I hope you all have a great time reading your Little Mermaid books! :D

message 19: by Heather (new)

Hey fellow book nerds! I just updated our home page with the book I will be reading in July! It is The Yellow Brick War by Danielle Paige! So, you can easily guess that this month's theme is...

The Wizard of Oz! :D

Since this is the third book in a series I've already read the first two of, if you haven't read it yet and want to participate with this month's book, you can read the first book in the series, Dorothy Must Die. :)

And just a friendly reminder you can read any other Wizard of Oz retellings that you want! And we only have about 11 days left to read our Little Mermaid retellings, so I hope you are enjoying them!

I will also post a list of other Oz retellings soon for you to browse like usual.

And...I think that's it! Happy reading!

message 20: by Heather (new)

Hey everyone! My review for June's book, To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo, is out on my blog! I think it's my favorite retelling I've read so far this year! :)

message 21: by Heather (new)

Hey! :) I updated the home page with August's book! It is Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan, because the theme for August is going to be Rapunzel!

Just a friendly reminder you can read any other Rapunzel retellings that you want! And we only have a few days left to read our Wizard of Oz retellings, so I hope you are enjoying them! :)

I will also post the usual list of other Rapunzel retellings for you to browse soon.

Happy reading!

message 22: by Heather (new)

Hey fellow bookworms! I just posted my review of this month's book, Yellow Brick War on my blog if you want to check it out. :)

And just a reminder, today is the last day to finish up your Wizard of Oz retellings before we move on to Rapunzel for August! :)

message 23: by Heather (new)

Hi guys! You might have noticed that I put September's book on the home page, which means that next month's theme is going to be Robin Hood! I'm really excited for this one because Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen looks so awesome and I've never read a Robin Hood retelling before!

Also this means that we only have a handful of days to finish reading your Rapunzel retellings!

I actually haven't started reading Reign of Shadows yet because I haven't had time to start it yet because I only just got my copy in the mail the other day. (Thanks, Amazon. :,( ) But I will scramble to read it and get that review up for you guys on my blog at the end of the month!

And as usual this post will be followed by a list of as many Robin Hood retellings as I can find for you to choose from! :)

Happy reading! Bye! :D

message 24: by Heather (new)

Hey everybody! Here is my review of Reign of Shadows! :)

message 25: by Heather (new)

Hi guys! How's your reading going? Remember you only have until the end of the month to finish your Robin Hood retellings, and then for October we will move on to our new theme...

Alice in Wonderland! :D

I thought an Alice retelling would be perfect to read around Halloween with all of the spookiness and whimsy of wonderland, and I've never read an Alice retelling before and it was one of my favorite Disney classic movies when I was little, so I'm excited to finally be able to read Splintered by A.G. Howard! I have a lot of Alice retellings on my TBR, so I'm glad I finally get to try one out!

Remember you can read any Alice retelling you want, but I hope you will join me in reading Splintered!

Bye for now, and happy reading! :)

message 26: by Heather (new)

Louise wrote: "I actually went ahead and read the whole Scarlet trilogy this month. IIt's been on my TBR but it wasnt a priority so thanks for the great suggestion!

I hope you enjoy Splintered. I wasn't a fan of..."

Thank you! I've heard the first book was good at least and I've wanted to try it. :)

message 27: by Heather (new)

Hey guys! Sorry it's a little late, but here's my review for Scarlet! :D

message 28: by Heather (new)

Hey fellow book nerds! We only have a few days left to finish our Alice in Wonderland retellings! And when we are done we will move on to November's theme which is......

Snow White! :)

I will be reading The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine and I'm pretty excited about it because it looks very cool and it's been on my TBR for a long time.

I hope you choose to read with me! Til next time! ;)

message 29: by Heather (new)

Hey guys! Here are my thoughts on Splintered! :)

message 30: by Heather (new)

Hey guys! I just posted the book for December, Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu!

Since it's Christmas, I wanted to read a retelling of a Christmassy fairy tale, so I picked The Snow Queen! :D I love Frozen, so I definitely wanted to know more about the original story and to read more about it.

Remember we only have until the end of the month to finish our Snow White Retellings! I hope you are enjoying them and I hope you will read retellings of The Snow Queen with me! :)

message 31: by Heather (new)

Hi! Here is my review of The Shadow Queen! :) I think it was my favorite retelling I've read this year!

message 32: by Heather (new)

Hi guys! Here is my last review of the year, Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu!

Thanks for reading with me this year and I hope you’ll join us in Discord in January for an all new yearly theme, hypes books! 😊