Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Lightning Men (Darktown, #2)
This topic is about Lightning Men
Group Read - Lightning Men > Group Read - Lightning Men Final comments Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments General comments for the entire book Spoilers welcome.
Did you like the book? What are your overall thoughts? Had you read Darktown first? #no spoilers for the other book without marking please (some html is ok instructions for how to)

Russ | 330 comments Thank you so much for picking this book! As most of you know, I'm in Atlanta, so I find this series to be challenging but informative about my hometown's past.

There were somethings I liked better about this book than the first and somethings I liked less. On the downside, I felt Lightning Men was more fragmented than Darktown, which had one main crime to unravel. This one was kind of all over the place.

On the upside, I think Mullen is maturing even more as an author now. This book was a little less ham-handed about race, more nuanced about characters, and had some really effective, well-written scenes.

And to Ann's earlier comment about reading this over MLK Day weekend, I totally agree. Hopefully #3 will come out around this time next year or during February/black history month.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Russ: I also see the maturity of Mullen's writing in this second book; and his ability to get at the emotions of the characters is subtle but very powerfully felt.
It was interesting to learn that even though book one (Darktown) and book two (Lightning Men) were published one year apart, the story progresses two years. Attitudes don't seem to have changed much, either citizens or fellow cops, but the black officers seem to be settling in with McGinnis as their leader, so that is a good thing.

Jack | 179 comments Really enjoyed this followup
Great character development. Scintilating suspense with rake and the conflict with dale, Lucius and jeremiah. Also the whole hanford park neighbourhood conflict was fascinating. if historically accurate was shocking to see the realtors and business people stirring the race conflict that way and risking such violent riots.
Glad that mcinnis backed them to go after quinten neale and do more than just beat work. Was a great wrapup in the epilogue.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Jack: I'm glad you enjoyed it too; the suspense and the perspective are great draws for me.
I also was very glad to see McGinnis' support for his officers and while he is still mostly a one dimensional character, we started to learn more about his background too. The potential to follow these characters in future books seems to have a wide variety of possible directions.

Jack wrote: "Really enjoyed this followup
Great character development. Scintilating suspense with rake and the conflict with dale, Lucius and jeremiah. Also the whole hanford park neighbourhood conflict was fascinating
Glad that mcinnis backed them to go after quinten neale and do more than just beat work. Was a great wrapup in the epilogue
.."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Darktown (other topics)