Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Lightning Men (Darktown, #2)
This topic is about Lightning Men
Group Read - Lightning Men > Group Read - Lightning Men chaps 21-30 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Chapters 21-30 - Spoilers welcome.
If the first to post, please briefly summarize to guide the discussion.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Chapter 21
Dale attends a meeting of the Atlanta Klu Klux Klan and when the call goes out for the members involved in the unauthorized beating of the white man he nearly passes out. After the meeting he talks with the Grand Wizard and tries to casually pass on some info about a Mr. Whitehouse.

Chapter 22
Boggs is called to Julie's house and then learns about Jeremiah. They fight and he feels she has not been honest with him while she feels he thinks she has no right to be anything but thankful that he has "saved" her.

Chapter 23
Smith goes to the bar, The Rook, where his brother in law works which is run by an old friend, Lester Feck aka Feckless, who has not always been on the right side of the law. Feck offers Smith some money for taking out Malley but Smith declines. Meanwhile Sgt McInnis gets some info on Sgt Slater and then warns the other white cop to quit coming down to his district for kickbacks.

Chapter 24
Rake gets an anonymous call about the beating. Later, while out walking his dog, he is stopped by two members of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation who ask some pointed questions about Dale.

Chapter 25
Back out in the country, the female bar owner who killed the Klan member is getting ready to open when two large men stroll up with a gun. They turn out to be the brothers of the man killed and want vengeance. They rough her up along with her cook but then take the cook with them after he says some other Klan types beat up his cousin that same night and mentioned the name Dale.

Chapter 26
Boggs is able to pull Jeremiah's record from the one lady who works in the office who does not immediately hang up on him when she hears his voice.

Chapter 27
Jeremiah makes his way to The Rook and he and Feck talk about the old days and Feck ends up giving him a job.

Chapter 28
Boggs finds out it was the FBI that made the arrests in Jeremiah's case and schedules a meeting with the agent in charge. The FBI agent reveals that the Atlanta police were not too concerned about the crime because Slater was probably was getting kickbacks or in charge of the operation. The G-man tells Boggs to talk to Sgt McInnis because he was Slater's partner at the time.

Chapter 29
Bogg's calls Julie and, while they talk, afterward she still feels that she is alone. Bogg's tells Smith about his problems with Julie and about what he has found out from the FBI. Smith tells him to talk to McInnis.

Chapter 30
Jeremiah is visited by the officer, now Sgt, who ran the operation. The Sgt gives him some food and a gun with instructions to get rid of Officer Boggs.

Russ | 330 comments I can see why they're planning a TV series. There's a certain episodic feel to this novel. Multiple colorful characters. Multiple storylines.

Anyway, any thoughts on Rake's anonymous tipster? I'm leaning toward the younger Dunlow boy.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Russ wrote: "I can see why they're planning a TV series. There's a certain episodic feel to this novel. Multiple colorful characters. Multiple storylines.

Anyway, any thoughts on Rake's anonymous tipster? I'm leaning toward the younger Dunlow boy. ..."

Yes, the author does do a great job with the various storylines but, like you, I am anxious to get to the bottom of the Moonshine/Drug angle. I had not really thought about who the tipster was but the younger Dunlow sounds like a good guess.

I did not have any time to read further today but really want to see what Jeremiah is going to do and see if the brothers catch up with Dale.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments I agree, a tv series could work for these characters. I am not sure what to think of Jeremiah (as to what he will do with his hit man instructions)
I mean in some ways he seems like a victim, more the quiet church going brother caught up in something. And yet he was very rough with Julie’s mother and Sage. I don’t know how he gets out of it though. I doubt he will live long after doing what the tall cop wants.

I like Sgt McGinnis. I can’t help but think this is leading to another takedown of dirty cops. The moonshine/drugs angle may just be a vehicle for that.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Sandi:
I think Dale is in serious trouble. Those brothers are ruthless.