Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's November 2017 books read (finally posted)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments It has taken me most of December to get around to posting my November books read. No telling when I will post my December books.
Nine of them, a good month:
The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
The Cuban Affair
The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye
Kitty and the Midnight Hour
Sing, Unburied, Sing
Cold Storage, Alaska
Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose
What Is It All But Luminous: Notes From an Underground Man
The Scarred Woman

Sedoti, Chelsea The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett Overdrive audio finished 11/2/2017 and ranked 9 of 10
Worthwhile reading, a teenager’s experience and struggles with bullying, loneliness and feelings of not belonging, and finding one’s place in the world.

DeMille, Nelson The Cuban Affair Overdrive audio finished 11/8/2017 and ranked 9.45 of 10 I hadn't read a DeMille book in a while; this was a good one.
Scott Brick narrates this nerve-wracking, nail-biting story; a new main character, a country under communist rule and a quest to recover decades old property and get out alive. What could go wrong?

Lagercrantz, David The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Millennium #5) Audible audio finished 11/15/2017 and ranked 9 of 10
Lisbeth is back with characteristic determination and grit. Once again answers about her past and revenge motivate our wily loner and hacker with more enemies to contend with, high caliber enemies. Maybe not as compelling as the originals, but still enjoyable

Vaughn, Carrie Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1) Overdrive audio finished 11/17/2017 and ranked 9 of 10
This first in a long running series with supernatural beings living semi-openly won't be my last. Kitty Norville is the kind of woman who grows as a character from the beginning to the end of the story which bodes well for the next books. I liked her standalone Bannerless so decided to try others by this author

Ward, Jesmyn Sing Unburied Sing Overdrive audio finished 11/20/2017 and ranked 9.75 of 10
Wow; this is a deserving candidate for the National Book award. The multiple voices telling their story from many perspectives are powerful, raw, real and heartbreaking. The pain, fear, hatred and bigotry; the love and survival; the connections to the past, to the blood on the land and yes, to the unburied are told from the heart

Straley, John Cold Storage, Alaska Kindle from library finished 11/20/2017 Rank 9.45 of 10
Quirky, cold (it's Alaska!) and fun; the people, the setting, the dog. At first you wonder why anyone lives there...and then the animals talk. Thanks for the recommendation - was it you Dan?

Biden, Joe Promise Me Dad Audible audio and print; finished 11/23/2017 and ranked 9.5 of 10
Very moving, conversational and informative, and fitting to read at Thanksgiving. The book begins with the Biden’s family Thanksgiving in 2014 and follows the Vice President for the next year performing his public duties while dealing with his son’s health crisis, and helping others deal with grief; lending his aid connecting with foreign leaders across the globe with relevant insight into domestic and foreign policy of the time and his relationship with Barack Obama. Family, especially his two sons, and his country are very important to Joe Biden. I was happy to have been able to see Joe Biden in person discuss his book.

Garfunkel, Art What is it all but Luminous: Notes from an Underground Man Print from library finished 11/26/2017 and ranked 9 of 10
Lyrical, thoughtful and insightful, I love that these notes are available for a glimpse into the life of a beautiful man, father, husband and musical genius. **The lists of hundreds of books he has read over the years, and found of note are an extra treat.**

Adler-Olsen, Jussi The Scarred Woman (Dept Q #7) Overdrive audio finished 11/30/2017 and ranked 9 of 10
A different investigative approach for the Dept Q cold case gang; this time the cases they become involved in are far from cold and one member of the team has a particularly tough time of it. Still a favorite series.

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments I am hoping to have the time to read Sing, Unburied, Sing as my last book of 2017. If not, it's going to be my first read of 2018. It's the January BOM for one of my other GR groups.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Dec 31, 2017 09:49AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Shomeret: It is a fitting book to end or begin a year.
Shomeret wrote: "I am hoping to have the time to read Sing, Unburied, Sing as my last book of 2017. If not, it's going to be my first read of 2018. It's the January BOM for one of my other GR groups."

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments A very good month! I liked THE CUBAN AFFAIR and glad you like the Kitty book. I have Joe Biden's book on my list. Nice you got to see him talk about the book!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Melodie: I did enjoy the Kitty Norville book and have already read the next one! The Joe Biden book was a fast read. Seeing him in person was a great treat.
Melodie wrote: "A very good month! I liked THE CUBAN AFFAIR and glad you like the Kitty book. I have Joe Biden's book on my list. Nice you got to see him talk about the book!"