Year-long NaNo discussion

Nicki Chapelway > A Winter Dark and Deadly

Comments Showing 1-50 of 709 (709 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments The sequel to Winter Cursed.

What happens after Snow White wakes up?

Princess Elisabeth may have defeated her stepmother, but her troubles are far from over. She is still some years from her twenty-first birthday, and she must either marry or give up her kingdom to another regent until she comes of age. The last regent nearly destroyed her land, but the one man she could possibly love, is the one she could never be with.

All is not happily ever after...

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 12/29/17- 1,224 words

message 3: by Lena, Mage (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) | 1268 comments Mod
Sounds awesome! I love the title!

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Lena wrote: "Sounds awesome! I love the title!"

Thanks! I came up with it in the middle of the night so I had to stumble around in the dark seeking out pencils and paper so I could write it down so I won't forget it :P

message 5: by Lena, Mage (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) | 1268 comments Mod
Yes, don't you love those middle of the night ideas??

message 6: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Lena wrote: "Yes, don't you love those middle of the night ideas??"

I forget most of them, hence having to write them down ;P I don't know why. I remember just about everything else. Except for things that I think up in the middle of the night :/

message 7: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 12/31/17- 1,430 words

Here's a small excerpt

Elisabeth shook her head. “Nothing has gone the way I thought it would. I thought all my troubles would disappear when I defeated Ismena.” Elisabeth brushed past Cedric and stalked over to her writing desk. She slumped into her seat.
Cedric clasped his hands behind his back and regarded her with a raised eyebrow. “How naive of you.”

Katrina Michelle (cheapobiblio) | 243 comments OH MY GOSH. A sequel??? That means more of Cedric!! *heart eyes* I'm excited!!! :D

message 9: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Lila wrote: "OH MY GOSH. A sequel??? That means more of Cedric!! *heart eyes* I'm excited!!! :D"

THANKS!! :D

I know, I'm so excited, I love Cedric so much, I couldn't say goodbye to him at the end of Winter Cursed!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) oh how fun!!! I love the story idea, Nicki!!

message 11: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Catherine wrote: "oh how fun!!! I love the story idea, Nicki!!"

Thanks, Catherine!

message 12: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 1/8/18- 456 words

Here's an excerpt...

“Good mornin’, yer majesty. Fancy runnin’ into you along these particular halls.” Elisabeth smiled at the familiar voice and turned to see Kenrick swaggering toward her. With a young face accented roguishly by a sprinkling of scuffle, and locks of hair the color of a raven’s wing, she was certain that he would have been quite a sight, enough to melt the heart of any maiden- had he not been the size of a child.
Though, some ladies it seemed did not have those qualms, because turning the corner right behind Kenrick was a tittering maid, Elisabeth believed was named Lucille. “Stop it, you rascal!” she said to Kenrick who winked back at her.
“Ye, know that I cannot, lass. Ye stoke my passion hotter than a wyvern’s fire.”
Lucille laughed again, but froze when she saw Elisabeth. She fumbled into a curtsy, her face going as red as a rose in full bloom. “Par-pardon me, Your Highness.”
Elisabeth nodded her head once. Lucille nervously shifted from foot to foot, fiddling with her dress between her fingers. “I- uh, I think I hear the head housekeeper calling me...”
Elisabeth smiled. “You are dismissed.”
Lucille nodded vigorously before turning and fleeing down the hall.
“Perhaps, later then, my firestar,” Kenrick called after her.
Elisabeth turned on him, planting her hands over her hips. “Kenrick, have you been behaving?”
Kenrick placed a hand over his heart, looking affronted. “Who, me? Whatever gave ye such a ridiculous notion, princess.” He snorted. “Me behave? The very idea of rings of madness.”

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) *to the last sentence* heehee, for him, yes it does. You nailed the rogue wonderfully, Nicki.

message 14: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Catherine wrote: "*to the last sentence* heehee, for him, yes it does. You nailed the rogue wonderfully, Nicki."

Aww, thanks :) I don't even think Kenrick is as roguish as my prince. Cedric has got vast amounts of rogue going on ;)

message 15: by Katrina Michelle (new)

Katrina Michelle (cheapobiblio) | 243 comments This snippet is SO funny, oh my gosh. I love your dwarves, and I loved seeing more of Kenrick especially! xD

"Vast amounts of rogue"!! That's why I'm in love with Cedric. <3 <3

message 16: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Lila wrote: "This snippet is SO funny, oh my gosh. I love your dwarves, and I loved seeing more of Kenrick especially! xD

"Vast amounts of rogue"!! That's why I'm in love with Cedric. <3 <3"

:D

So far only Kenrick has been reintroduced, I still haven't decided where to introduce the others...

Cedric is so bad... but that's why I like him so much :P

message 17: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 1/9/18- 515 words.

message 18: by Katrina Michelle (new)

Katrina Michelle (cheapobiblio) | 243 comments Nicki wrote: "1/9/18- 515 words."

Nice word count! 515 words of PROGRESS! :D

message 19: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Lila wrote: "Nicki wrote: "1/9/18- 515 words."

Nice word count! 515 words of PROGRESS! :D"

I know! Yay! Winter Dark and Deadly is my third priority, I only get to write it after I finish my other writing goals for the day so anything I get done in it is a HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT :D

message 20: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 1/15/18- 600 words

Here's an excerpt...

The chancellor paced toward her, his hands clasped behind his back and his ornate ankle length robes swaying above the ground. “That may be, but that does not disregard the fact that you simply allow the son of Morren to traipse around the castle, the capital
Elisabeth raised her chin. “He would have no need to traipse around the castle, indeed he would not even be in the capital, if you had heeded my wishes and returned him Mooraven.”
The chancellor laughed. “Still bringing that up are we? Tell me what spell does the son of Morren have on you that makes you so willing to turn over a third of your kingdom. To the enemy.”
“Cedric does not have me under any spells!”
The chancellor drew to a halt. He narrowed his eyes at her. “The prince of Mooraven cannot be trusted.”

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) spotted a really weird transition after "son of Morren to traipse around the castle", but other than that, it was AWESOME, Nicki!

message 22: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Thanks! And good catch *scurries to fix* :)

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) You're welcome!!!

message 24: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Narylfiel wrote: "Yes! The sequel! I loved Winter Cursed! And more Cedric? *squeals*"

Haha! Yes! Lots more Cedric *squees*! I love me some noble rogues ;P

message 25: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Narylfiel wrote: "He was easily my favorite character. If you ever need anyone to read this one like Winter Cursed.... I'm available. ;)"

He was my favorite character, too. Though there was nothing easy about it because, frankly, I loved all of them. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind because I probably will ;P When I get it finished, that is.

message 26: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Narylfiel wrote: "I fall in love with my characters far too easily. Even if I haven't written them yet."

Haha, same here sister. It's the writer's burden to bear :P

message 27: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 1/22/18- 892 words.

To be completely honest, it was ridiculously hard to choose an excerpt for this one! I wanted to put the entire chapter up, but I'll just have to appease myself with this section...

“I haven’t gotten much in return for my good deeds, might dissuade me from being noble in the future.”
Elisabeth arched her brow. “Really? There haven’t been any enjoyable changes to your circumstances since we defeated Ismena?”
Cedric stroked his chin, turning in a small circle taking in the garden. “I suppose my lot is somewhat more improved than it was during Ismena’s rule.” He stepped forward as if he would kiss her. Elisabeth tilted her chin up, but at last moment he veered off course and walked past her his hands clasped behind his back. “It is significantly warmer, that’s certainly something to be thankful for, and it is enjoyable to feel the sun again.” He glanced up at the castle. “And my prison is significantly less derelict.”
Elisabeth tapped her toe. “Anything else?”
Cedric turned back to her with a smirk. “Anything else?” He stepped toward her, stopping a short distance from her, their faces only inches away. “I suppose that the company is somewhat better as well.”
Elisabeth tilted her head. “Oh really?”
“Yes, I don’t know what I would do without Luk. I feel I would be utterly desolate without him glowering at my every move.”

message 28: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Narylfiel wrote: "Oh my gosh, I LOVE this excerpt!!! That is sooo Cedric. I had been almost afraid that Elisabeth had changed him into someone else. I forgot how much I loved him, but don't worry Nicki, I won't try ..."

Haha! I don't think we have any worries with Elisabeth changing him. He may be adaptable but he's unchangeable ;P

And you make sure you remember that! Cedric is mine! Mwahaha!

message 29: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 1/23/18- 538 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“Cedric, I believe that you have crossed a line.” Elisabeth said reaching up to undo the blindfold, but he grabbed her hand and lowered it back to her side.
“Nonsense, Lizzie, I haven’t crossed anything. I’m still standing exactly where I was a minute ago.”
“Are you abducting me?” Elisabeth demanded. She cried out as she was suddenly swooped off her feet, the world that she could no longer see turning upside down. Her hand hit his broad shoulder.
Cedric paused a moment as if weighing her words before saying. “Abducting is such a harsh word, I prefer to think of it as… liberating you. From the boredom of this scenic garden.”

message 30: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Narylfiel wrote: "Nice word count and excerpt!!!! Those two are adorable."

Thanks! And they are :P

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) I love both of these snippets, Nicki! Cedric and Elizabeth bounce off each other wonderfully!

message 32: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 1/29/18- 1,083 words

Here's an excerpt...

“Is there an occasion I should know of?” Elisabeth asked, placing her hands on her hips and observing the laid out food.
Cedric lay down on the blanket, next to the food. “Does a squire need an occasion to dote upon the lady of his affections?”
Elisabeth arched a brow. “That does not answer my question. Especially since you are no squire and you aren’t doting.”
Cedric placed his hand over his heart and rolled onto his back. “You wound me. Truly. What if I had brought you here to inform you of my recent decision to do something meaningful and noble with my life and thus become a squire? That this feast was a celebration of such an arrangement?”
Elisabeth barked a laugh. “Ha! You do something meaningful and noble in your life? I think not!”
“You know how fond I am of surprising people,” Cedric said, turning back over and lifting a glass. He peered into its contents. “I like to consider it a hobby of mine. All the same, it would have been very callous of you if it had been my intent. You would have utterly crushed my dreams, love.”
“The dreams of Mooraven are not so easily crushed,” Elisabeth coolly replied. “And you are still not answering my question.”
“All right, if you must know. The dwarfs missed you. You have been so caught up in your queenly duties that you have come to neglect them quite terribly, so they devised a plan to abduct you and force you to enjoy a picnic with them. And as for me… well I relish the thrill of enjoying a meal in the Grand Chencellor’s study, right under his crooked nose.” Cedric raised his glass and took a sip. “So stop being so ornery, Lizzie dear, and enjoy your surprise.”

message 33: by Katrina Michelle (new)

Katrina Michelle (cheapobiblio) | 243 comments As soon as I saw "Cedric," I gobbled up the rest of the snippet like it was my last meal! My WORD, I love that guy. :D And an awesome word count too, Nicki! <3

message 34: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) wow, wow and WOW. I love this couple to pieces :)

message 35: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Narylfiel wrote: "Woohoo! You got the thousand words. Nice job!

Can I just say that I adore Cedric? He is an amazing character. I love characters like him, and I'll be honest, he's one of my favorite male characters."

Thank, Narylfiel!

I'm so glad that you like Cedric so much, and I'll be honest (but you have to promise not to tell any of my other characters cause Kenrick would be pretty jealous) but he's probably my favorite characters that I've written so far ;)

message 36: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Lila wrote: "As soon as I saw "Cedric," I gobbled up the rest of the snippet like it was my last meal! My WORD, I love that guy. :D And an awesome word count too, Nicki! <3"

Haha! I'm so glad that you love Cedric so much, and thanks! I'm pretty darn pleased to have managed to get a thousand words in :P

message 37: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Catherine wrote: "wow, wow and WOW. I love this couple to pieces :)"

THANKS! I'm glad you like them so much, I love their conversations ;)

message 38: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 1/30/18- 615 words

Here's an excerpt...

Elisabeth blew out her breath. “Honestly, I don’t know how I can carry on a conversation with you. I barely understand half the things that come out of your mouth.”
“Lizzie, my dear, the moment I want you to actually understand the words coming out of my mouth, I will be certain to cease being cryptic- forthwith!” He sighed and propped himself up on his elbow. “But if you truly must know, I shall simply say. Better to keep the danger before your eyes then allow it to sneak up behind you and very uncharitably stab you in the back. That is all.”
“Oh, so I’m a danger now.”
“I thought that we had already determined that all beautiful damsels are.”
“Especially the beautiful ones,” Kenrick added.
“So you think I’m beautiful?” Elisabeth asked lowering her lashes.
Cedric sat up. “Beauty is to the eye of the beholder, my dear. Excepting in your case. For even if the eye of the beholder is put out he would have to admit that you are the fairest in the land. Stating you are beautiful is as if stating a fact, like the sky is blue, or that ice is cold.”

message 39: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 2/1/18- 896 words

Here's an excerpt...

“What? You thought I came in here simply to enjoy a picnic? I am here, the High Chancellor’s papers are here, and the High Chancellor is not here.” Cedric picked up several papers, flipping through them. “Really it is too much for me to resist... Oh, that is interesting.”
Elisabeth placed her hands on her hips and tapped her foot. “You know this is wrong.”
Cedric glanced up at her and sighed. “Tell me, Lizzie, when did I ever steer you wrong so much as to lead you to believe that I cared for the difference between right and wrong?”
“What about your own neck? Do you care for that?”
“Naturally,” Cedric muttered, not bothering to look up from the papers.
“Then do not do this, Cedric. If the High Chancellor learns of what you did he will-”
“What?” Cedric asked looking up at her. “Order my execution? You’re behind the times, Lizzie, dear. He already has.”

message 40: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Ivie wrote: "Nicki wrote: "2/1/18- 896 words

Here's an excerpt...

“What? You thought I came in here simply to enjoy a picnic? I am here, the High Chancellor’s papers are here, and the High Chancellor is not h..."

Aww, thanks! I'm so glad you like it! :P

message 41: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) At the risk of repeating myself...these excerpts are beautiful!!! I love that last line of the excerpt above this one - when he states that her beauty is a fact. *sighs in contentment*

message 42: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Catherine wrote: "At the risk of repeating myself...these excerpts are beautiful!!! I love that last line of the excerpt above this one - when he states that her beauty is a fact. *sighs in contentment*"

Seriously, you can repeat yourself all you want, because you make my day :P

Haha I'm glad that you like that part. She is kind of Snow White, so obviously she's gorgeous, but I love that Cedric won't just admit that he thinks she is, he has to simply state it as fact :P

message 43: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) Awwww, you're welcome!

I'm sure that she knows, or at least suspects :)

message 44: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Catherine wrote: "Awwww, you're welcome!

I'm sure that she knows, or at least suspects :)"

Oh, she does, it just frustrates her that he won't admit it (probably why Cedric does it, he thrives off of discord)

message 45: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) hehehee, sounds that way :)

message 46: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 2/5/18- 1,030 words.

Here's and excerpt...

“How will you ever know how it feels to defy death, if you never know what death is like?”
“I don’t want to know what death is like!” Elisabeth cried, “I’ve had more of my fair share of it in the past eighteen years of my life.”
Cedric narrowed his eyes. “Yes, it must have been terribly dreadful growing up in a castle like you did. Just think of the drafts or the cobwebs. You were quite at your peril.”

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) Poor Elizabeth *sends hugs*

Awesome word count, Nicki!!

message 48: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Ivie wrote: "Great word count and AAAHHH CEDRIC'S SNARK!!! This is brilliant!"

Thanks, Ivie! And I'm glad you like Cedric's snark ;P

message 49: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Catherine wrote: "Poor Elizabeth *sends hugs*

Awesome word count, Nicki!!"

She probably wouldn't accept them, though if you send her an assassin to take care of Cedric she would totally be your best friend ;)

Thanks!

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) You're welcome!

I'm fresh out of assassins - they're outlawed in Aistaraina and Duventoliel. *shrugs*

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15