Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > The Chalk Man - March 10, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5875 comments Mod
We will be starting a buddy read of The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor on March 10th. Everyone is welcome to join. Please mark your posts with where you are in the book and use spoiler tags as needed.

The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor

In 1986, Eddie and his friends are just kids on the verge of adolescence. They spend their days biking around their sleepy English village and looking for any taste of excitement they can get. The chalk men are their secret code: little chalk stick figures they leave for one another as messages only they can understand. But then a mysterious chalk man leads them right to a dismembered body, and nothing is ever the same.

In 2016, Eddie is fully grown and thinks he's put his past behind him, but then he gets a letter in the mail containing a single chalk stick figure. When it turns out that his friends got the same message, they think it could be a prank--until one of them turns up dead. That's when Eddie realizes that saving himself means finally figuring out what really happened all those years ago.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Excited for this one!

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm glad we decided to go with March for this one. I just got a copy through NetGalley!

message 4: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments That is great Kristie!
I got denied. :(

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh, that's a bummer, Vicki! I was just telling my husband yesterday that I'm so behind with doing my reviews, but yet I seem to get all the books I'm denied through the library or sometimes a purchase and I read those. I don't know if it's just a 'see I told you I'd read it' subconsciously on my part or if I really am more interested in most of those books. lol

message 6: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2010 comments Mod
Hey!
Are we reading at our own pace or are we following a schedule for this one?

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I didn’t have a schedule. I figured we could read at our own pace and just be sure to use spoilers.

message 8: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm still waiting for my hold on this one. It looks like my library system only has 3 copies, one of which has been overdue for several weeks now. And tons of people on the waitlist. I may have to end up buying this one or maybe use my audible for it.

message 9: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Everything is fine with me. I just wanted to know what was planned. :)
Though my son just threw my kindle in the water (RIP kindle) so I'm not sure I'll have a new one in time

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh no!! Not the Kindle!! RIP poor Kindle.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

The kindle AND the phone! This is a bad day!! I was more upset about the kindle though...

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh no!!! That is a bad day!

message 13: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Oh no. I'm so sorry. You could try the rice thing and see if they come back to life?

message 14: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

That's what I did. I'm waiting for now...

message 15: by Lory (new)

Lory Sakay | 36 comments Just finished reading this, coincidently. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Is everyone still ready to start this one in a couple of days? I'll be ready and I can't wait. I just need to finish up the book I'm reading now.

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Savanes, were you able to save your Kindle or phone?

message 18: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I got it on audible and just started listening today. So far, it’s quite interesting ...

message 19: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

@kristie : it's alive!!! The power button doesn't work but the screen can be turned on with the magnetic cover. Otherwise I'll use an old kindle I have.
I started the book yesterday, it's a bit slow going so far. Looking forward to the story picking up.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Yay, Savanes!!

I'm surprised it started slow. Somehow, I didn't expect it to.

message 21: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Well I'm only at 15%. It might get moving.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm sure it will. I just thought it was going to grab you from the first sentence.

message 23: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments So far it reminds me quite a bit of Stranger Things. Which is probably not surprising given that it's partially set in the 80s and dealing with a bunch of outsider kids. I'm liking it quite a bit. The narrator is really good I think.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh my, Savanes! I just read the prologue and that’ll grab you! I haven’t read any further though. I’m really looking forward to some reading time tomorrow!

message 25: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I agree Janina, it feels like stranger things.
That's great Kristie. I'm so sad it doesn't pick my interest yet. Hopefully, the "story" will start soon. I'm at 20%

message 26: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

25% the fight scene was horrifying. (view spoiler)

message 27: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I agree ... it was truly awful.

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

My daughter and a friend came over for dinner tonight and stayed to chat for a while, so I haven't had a chance to get to this one yet. I'm planning to start now, if I don't fall asleep. I have a migraine starting, but I'm hoping it goes away. I'll read your spoilers as soon as possible.

message 29: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

About 45% in: I wonder what Chloe (view spoiler)

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 11, 2018 07:28PM) (new)

I'm at 21% and I'm not finding quite as slow as you seem to be or were. Has it picked up for you yet? So far, I'm curious about what's going on.

(view spoiler)

Anyway, I'm curious to see what happens.

message 31: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm at around 40% .. since I'm only listening to this on my commute, I don't "read" anything of this over the weekend.

Regarding your spoiler, Kristie, (view spoiler)

I like this book. I'm a bit afraid it'll end up drifting off into complete nonsense and thus loosing most of its charm, but so far, I'm still hopeful ;)

message 32: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

@Kristie: yes it picked at around 25%. :)
Regarding your spoiler @Janina (to read after 30% to be on the safe side). (view spoiler)

54% What the f**k!!! (view spoiler)

About Eddie, I don't really like him so far. I still don't know what happened in 1986 but I pity his 2016 self.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh, Janina! I never considered (view spoiler)

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

You ladies are really flying through!

message 35: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments These spoilers are tricky.

Regarding the 30(+)% one: (view spoiler)

message 36: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

61% Finally knowing (view spoiler)

message 37: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I think the whole book is kind of creepy.
But, so far I'm enjoying it a lot. Just got to the Finally knowing part as well.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm only at 45% chapter starting, "Oh ye of little faith" so I can't read most of your spoilers yet. I got stuck at 21% at the park with Eddie. I didn't want to read what was about to happen and put the book down for two days!! But, I'm back reading again. Hopefully, I'll get closer tomorrow. :)

(view spoiler)

Savanes, spoiler is to 45%, but in response to your 30% spoiler above - (view spoiler)

message 39: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Yes, I agree with all that you wrote Kristie. I do find it to be a book that I have to listen to very closely. Drifting off for a short while can easily lead to one missing important details. Or who knows .. maybe they aren't important and just oddities.

message 40: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I finished. It was a 3.5 stars for me.
I guessed who the killer was a few chapters before it was revealed.
I found the beginning to be a bit slow then it picked up and i couldn't put it down. (view spoiler)

message 41: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm also finished and same thing .. toward the end of the story, it became quite clear who the killer was (view spoiler).
I also kind of like Eddie .. he is weird .. they all are. But I don't know .. I always feel somewhat closer to outsider types even if they are not necessarily the nice kind. Not sure I would want to get to know him closer if I knew him in real life, but as a fictional character .. I liked him.

Really enjoyed the narration as well. I'm glad we read this as a buddy read.

Have you been able to finish it yet, Kristie?

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I did finish Janina, but I really struggled with what I wanted to say about it. I didn't like it as much as I expected to, but I still liked it. I agree with what you said. I felt that the twists weren't really shocking. The dream sequences turned out to be annoying to me. I thought (view spoiler)

I didn't really care for the ending either. I felt there were a couple parts that were just thrown in to wrap up some questions. (view spoiler)

Overall, I thought it was good, but not great. I probably would have given it 3.5 stars if we could on GR, but since we can't I went with 3.

message 43: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I think I would have probably liked it a bit less if not for the narration. It really added to the atmosphere imo.

I agree that I felt some things weren't wrapped up properly or just explained too conveniently. I don't know .. in a way I also liked that because it does make sense this way. More a portray of society and people and they way everyone is flawed some way or another? (view spoiler)

I think I just didn't expect to like the book all that much as I'm usually not a fan of horror-mystery-thriller kind of books .. so maybe that's why I ended up liking it more than I thought I would ;)

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I agree, Janina. I think the dreams (view spoiler)

I still liked the story. I just read a lot of this type and generally really enjoy thrillers, so I had higher expectations. Funny how your expectations can effect the outcome like that.

message 45: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

That's definitely true. Expectations can kill a good book (or movie) or make a bad one. I find it very difficult to open a book and start reading without expectations or at least trying to be open to the genre. I'm part of physical book club and it's been a challenge to me since people tend to vote for books I would NOT choose to read on my own (very literary, poetic, slow moving work of art. Well written but most of the times so boring).

Anyways, back to the book. I agree with you, Kristie, I found the ending to be (view spoiler)

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Re: Hoppo's mom (view spoiler)

message 47: by Vicki Willis (last edited Mar 23, 2019 10:24PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments I am reading this one now. I really wanted to read it last year, but I didn't want to buy it. Then the mediocre reviews made me put it off.
I am about 100 pages in and I like the alternating timelines and the 80's setting. Those 2 things are usually good for me.
I can't wait to read the rest of your spoilers!

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I hope you end up enjoying it, Vicki!

message 49: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments I finished and agree with your spoilers. Especially about (view spoiler)
And it did feel a bit like rereading a book that was already written because of how the 5 kids were. They reminded me of the kids from IT. And the big bullies too.
BUT! It held my attention and I did read it in 2 sittings, which I haven't done in a long time, so I gave it 4 stars.

message 50: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments I remember when I read this I enjoyed it. But I also felt it was overhyped. I expected it to be much more tense and/or frightening and I just didn't get that.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Chalk Man (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.J. Tudor (other topics)