Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Michelle V's 2018 Pushing myself out of my reading comfort zone

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Jul 25, 2018 05:16PM) (new)

Michelle Ventura | 33 comments The 2018 List

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title ~ The Graveyard Book ~ Finished 1-4-18
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list ~ Pale Demon ~ Finished 1-10-18
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link) ~ Caraval ~ Finished 1-13-18
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) ~ The Passage ~ Finished 1-27-18
5. A book about or inspired by real events ~ A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers ~ Finished 1-31-18
6. A book originally written in a language other than English ~ The Boy in the Suitcase ~ Finished 1-2-18
7. A gothic novel ~ The Woman in White ~ Finished 2-25-18
8. An "own voices" book* ~ Labyrinth Lost ~ Finished 2-15-18
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) ~ Where the Heart Is ~ Finished 2-27-18
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) ~ An Enchantment of Ravens ~ Finished 3-14-18
11. A literary fiction ~ The Thirteenth Tale ~ Finished 3-28-18
12. A book set in Africa or South America ~ Everfair or The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) ~ Wild Beauty
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire ~ Fire or Frost Arch
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure ~ S.
16. A narrative nonfiction ~ The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
17. A book you expect to make you laugh ~ Agorafabulous!: Dispatches from My Bedroom
18. A book with a location in the title ~ The Invisible Library ~ Finished 4-22-18
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author ~ A Madness So Discreet or Girl in the Blue Coat
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends ~ Catch-22 ~ Finished 3-7-18
21. A book written in first person perspective ~ The Book of Fires
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for ~ Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
23. A medical or legal thriller ~ Acceptable Risk or Outbreak
24. A book with a map ~ Graceling
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view ~ Alias Hook ~ Finished 7-8-18
26. A book with a text only cover ~ The Road ~ Finished 2-8-18
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) ~ The Country of Ice Cream Star
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water ~ The Night Watch or Amy Snow
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) ~ Alice: The Wanderland Chronicles or This House is Haunted
30. A short book ~ The Little Prince ~ Finished 2-18-18
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to ~ The Book Jumper
32. An alternate history book ~ The Eyre Affair ~ Finished 3-21-18
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link) ~ More Than it Hurts You or The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus or Ready Player One
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call ~ A book about something celestial or containing something celestial in the title or author's name - Stardust or A book about mental illness - Dear Prudence
35. A book featuring a murder ~ Jackaby ~ Finished 3-3-18
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before ~ The Star-Touched Queen
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee ~ The Invention of Everything Else or The Night Watch
38. A Science or Science fiction book ~ The Bone Season or Outbreak
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title ~ Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading ~ Finished 7-18-18
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list ~ The Handmaid's Tale ~ Finished 2-20-18
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials ~ Heartless ~ Finished 2-11-18
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater ~Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence ~ The Girl with All the Gifts ~ Finished 4-15-18
44. A ghost story ~ The Haunting of Sunshine Girl ~ Finished 7-24-18
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you ~ Atlas Shrugged or House of Leaves
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own ~ Every Heart a Doorway~ Finished 1-25-18
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) ~ Darker Days
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists ~ The Madman’s Daughter or The 5th Wave
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) ~ The Bookshop on the Corner ~ Finished 4-3-18
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection ~ Sister Emily's Lightship and Other Stories
52. A book published in 2018 ~ Anna Undreaming

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Yay for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. I hope you find it rewarding. What do you usually like to read? And in what ways are you going outside of your comfort zone?

message 3: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments Jackaby was a nice read.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ventura | 33 comments Katie wrote: "Yay for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. I hope you find it rewarding. What do you usually like to read? And in what ways are you going outside of your comfort zone?"

I am usually a big fantasy reader, with a little non-fiction thrown in. Still a little girl inside that loves a good fairy tale. :) Mystery, thriller, chick lit, and most general fiction are not really my cup of tea. Heck, I usually don't read the heavier tech science fiction. I know my list is still heavy on the fantasy, but I love how some of the prompts are forcing me to go outside my comfort zone.
The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) by Lene Kaaberbøl is not normally one I would choose for myself, but I am also doing the Popsugar challenge and it fills the nordic noir slot, so I am hoping it will fill #35 a book featuring a murder. It does have a murder in the story, but I have not made up my mind if it "features" it enough for me. #50 the warm book will push me, as that I am not big on warm, mushy "family stories"

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ventura | 33 comments Anastasia wrote: "Jackaby was a nice read."

Just finished Jackaby a couple of days ago. I did enjoy it and can't wait to read the next in the series.

message 6: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments I am glad you liked it.

message 7: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "Katie wrote: "Yay for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. I hope you find it rewarding. What do you usually like to read? And in what ways are you going outside of your comfort zone?"

I am ..."

Loved this series, doing #3 for pop sugar Nordic Noir. Theyre perfect for that prompt