Space Opera Fans discussion

The Pride of Chanur (Chanur, #1)
This topic is about The Pride of Chanur
BOTM THEMED > Jan 2018 THEMED Pride of Chanur

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Carrigan | 2465 comments Mod
Our January 2018 THEMED Pick is The Pride of Chanur The Pride of Chanur (Chanur #1) by C.J. Cherryh by C.J. Cherryh. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

The theme is Trading. I have read this book myself at least twice. I'll save my own comments for a few days at least to give someone else a chance.

Description is:

No one at Meetpoint Station had ever seen a creature like the Outsider. Naked-hided, blunt toothed and blunt-fingered, Tully was the sole surviving member of his company -- a communicative, spacefaring species hitherto unknown -- and he was a prisoner of his discoverer/ captors the sadistic, treacherous kif, until his escape onto the hani ship The Pride of Chanur.

Little did he know when he threw himself upon the mercy of The Pride and her crew that he put the entire hani species in jeopardy and imperiled the peace of the Compact itself. For the information this fugitive held could be the ruin or glory of any of the species at Meetpoint Station.

Betsy | 886 comments Mod
I've read this at least a couple times, but it's been a while. I don't think I'll be able to read it again this month, but I remember I really liked it and the whole series. I love the fact that humans are not at the center of the book, although it is a human that starts things off. And I really like the hani -- spacefaring trader cats, who are very honorable, but don't tolerate bullshit.

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Dec 30, 2017 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well so much for saving my comments for a few days. I do have more to add later. We'll see how long I can last.

Do we need a separate spoilers thread for those who have finished the book? Let me know if you think it would help.

I also like having the POV character be an alien. There are quite a few excellent SF books where this happens at least half the time.

I found the world building interesting but with a couple of jarring moments. For example, the hani take showers with water on board ship. Remotely possible but I had difficulty believing a feline descended being regularly enjoying that and then using a towel to dry off, over and above the extra water and recycling it would need.

If the hani are true carnivores, then it is unlikely they would have grains, fruits, or vegetables on board. I don't recall explicit mention of these. An all meat diet for a human will cause nasty digestive problems as well as vitamin and mineral deficiency. Did I just miss an explanation of this?

I loved the way they figured out how to communicate. It makes a lot more sense than Star Trek's universal translator or relying on the memory of individual people of whatever species.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Maybe they would have drying tubes like in the In Death books.

I loved this book a lot more than Foreigner, which I'm still trying to make my way through.

message 5: by Laz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laz the Sailor (laz7) | 207 comments I love Chanur! (check my avatar)

I picture Meetpoint as a bazaar in Persia. The various species have very unique characteristics. The underlying absurdity of the situation is humorous while deadly serious at the same time.

Do we need a separate spoilers thread for those who have finished the book? Let me know if you think it would help.

Another group restricts spoilers to after 2 weeks, with big tags that say:

NO SPOILERS

and

SPOILERS BELOW HERE

Just a thought...

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've been thinking about the hani culture, where the trading ships are female only. I found it interesting that the captain wasn't the autocrat that is often depicted on human ships. The crew was the only judge of who was invited into crew quarters.

IMO the captain acted more like Kirk than Picard, clearly risking her life more than once, and impestuously at that.

You would think that they would find more uses for the superfluous males though. Even if they are too aggressive to be trusted in dealing with aliens, I didn't notice many options for channeling their talents and energy. No wonder they fight so much.....

message 7: by Laz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laz the Sailor (laz7) | 207 comments This was written in 1982, when saber rattling became an art-form. I found it amusing for CJ to create a culture where males were essentially useless.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Laz wrote: "This was written in 1982, when saber rattling became an art-form. I found it amusing for CJ to create a culture where males were essentially useless."

Aren't they?

William Snee (darkexpanse) | 7 comments I remember reading it a long time ago and enjoying the varying races. I have been looking forward to reading it again, and need to dig it out of my old stacks.

message 10: by Betsy (last edited Jan 07, 2018 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betsy | 886 comments Mod
I also enjoyed the hani culture, where females are the breadwinners and the movers and shakers, while the males are restricted due to their inability to control their aggression and hormones. This could be seen as a commentary on human culture, but I like to think it is a logical projection of a terran lion culture which has become sapient. Of course, both could be true.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Pride of Chanur (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.J. Cherryh (other topics)