Space Opera Fans discussion

The Alliance (The Evox Chronicles #1)
This topic is about The Alliance
50 views
BOTM INDIE > Jan 2018 INDIE The Alliance

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2463 comments Mod
Our January 2018 INDIE Pick is The Alliance The Alliance (The Evox Chronicles #1) by Chris G. Wright by Chris G. Wright. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

I haven't read this one yet. Description is:

The Alliance lays the groundwork for a 6-volume science fiction series, combining both space opera and post-apocalyptic elements on Earth's thrilling journey from dystopia to utopia to interstellar travel and space colonization to the evolution of diverse societies - some human, some not - across the centuries in the shadow of a galactic menace.

Plot
Earth's greatest military powers have been crushed to a shadow of their former glory. Invasion has plagued entire continents, throwing surviving societies into turmoil, famine, disease. Mankind's legacy has been reduced to ruins of rubble and rust. The future seems bleak for the isolated pockets of resistance, and what lurks in the skies will not rest until it has claimed every single one.

But all is not lost for the despairing humans. In the infinitude of the universe, there may be hope, so long as humans can learn to trust those who claim responsibility for this calamity, who claim their rescue plan will rock the very foundations of both worlds. Nearing extinction, do they have a choice?

Salvation rests on the shoulders of two men who are more than what they appear: Ethan Alexander Colt is a resistance fighter expected to make the ultimate sacrifice; the other is the tormented Cpt Donovan Ford, who must conquer his ghosts and embrace his destiny as a soldier.

Outnumbered and outmatched, two species will have to depend on the Conduits, ancient combat suits once operated by the infamous Scientists. But humans were designed with flaws, and Ethan and Donovan are no different. Will they see beyond their own aspirations and fight for the greater good? Or will they threaten the endurance of the Galactic Alliance and stability of the cosmos?


message 2: by Les (new) - rated it 4 stars

Les | 53 comments Can't wait to hear others' comments and views. Great choice!


Erik Willén (erikmartinwilln) | 1 comments Hi everyone, I read The Allience and it's a great story. Here is my Review;

5 STARS - Outstanding – A Must Read!

Finding new science fiction authors that are great is very difficult and I’m very happy that Great Britain has yet again produced an outstanding new author; The Alliance by Chris G. Wright is a new Sci-Fi-series that will take the reader to a new concept when it comes to; science fiction, space opera, action, adventure, mystery, and some fantasy.

The story is very well written and the author's voice is very intriguing (for me as a reader the most important thing in any story is the author voice.) Chris G. Wright might be a young and new author but he definitely has an excellent author voice that will draw “you” into his story.

New heroes and villains are introduced and they will keep the reader on his/her toes with the “wanting” to read more. Chris G. Wright takes his time to build up the story introducing the reader to new concepts and ideas that are new (and needed) in Sci-Fi.

I didn’t need much imagination when I read this story because the author had provided them for me with excellent detailed descriptions. The feelings and emotions from the characters in the story are so well written that “you” the reader will also feel and sense them. This post-apocalyptic story is something I would enjoy very much on the big screen.

If you’re looking for a great new read with many surprises then you will enjoy this new story. The Alliance is a story any one can read, and if you don’t like Sci-Fi then you definitely will after you read this book.

(Disclaimer; I do my best avoiding spoilers about the story itself because I hope that the next reader will be as happily surprised as I was.) The Alliance


message 4: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments Have just got my copy!


Zachariah | 5 comments MY REVIEW: A sci-fi with innovative touches. The perfect combo of a post-apocalyptic Earth and the very best of Space Opera in the 1st installment of a 6-volume sci-fi series. From its beginning as a dystopian Earth to its final scenes, it has all the fast-paced action adventure, nail-biting clashes between humble heroes and fearsome adversaries, Interstellar-equivalent melodrama, and the colorful transition from Earth to space scenes, that make this book quite a visual journey. It does demand that you pay close attention to the plot as there's so much going on, and there are plenty of characters to keep your eyes on.

Earth has been invaded by the Sky Tyrants (aka Rabast) and there are legions and fleets of these aliens swarming every corner of the planet. They are on a destructive path, but their presence on Earth isn't just for resources, but some supreme being, a universal puppeteer of some sort, has is pulling the strings of this story. Nearing extinction, humans are surviving as pockets of resistance in city ruins. I'll not elaborate more, as I think I've provided enough info. There is an overarching story, which I'm assuming is the core of this entire series, but the reader only gets clues. The author seems to be saving himself for the sequels, so you get a partial picture, yet I still reached the last page with a few questions I can't wait to discover the answer to. I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that a a self-published author has written this. No offense to self-published authors. I mean it in the best way possible, which is why this is the longest review I've ever written.


message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2463 comments Mod
I don't like dystopias so won't be trying this one, but responding to the comment on self-published authors: at least some of them have had horrible experiences with an agent or a publisher in the past, or don't know how to get an agent. The large publishers mostly refuse to consider anything that doesn't have an agent.

I've read some excellent books by self-published authors.


Zachariah | 5 comments Teresa wrote: "I don't like dystopias so won't be trying this one, but responding to the comment on self-published authors: at least some of them have had horrible experiences with an agent or a publisher in the ..."

I don't usually read dystopias either, which can get quite heavy like THE ROAD by McCarthy, though I really really enjoyed it. But you get the really heavy stuff, which I usually avoid, and the lighter stuff. I'd say The Alliance is between middle and light if there was a gauge to determine this. There's enough mention of ruined cities and surviving humans in the first maybe 8 or so chapters. Can't really remember. After a certain part it focuses more on the whole alien-human alliance plot and the war.

Can't really comment on the whole agent and publishers thing because I haven't got a clue, but I've read popular books from publishing houses that I've put down halfway through or struggled to get to the last page. I can safely say that self-published authors have sharpened their blades in the last 5 years.


message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan | 89 comments Eh. I gotta say I'm not really impressed with this. I should mention I'm only 10% of the way through the book, but I'm seriously considering putting it down (and never picking it up again).

First off, it doesn't seem like Space Opera. Teresa is right it seems more a dystopian future (caused by aliens) rather than about the interactions of galactic powers.

With that said, the whole "let's survive in a post apocalyptic future" seems really overdone to me (whether by zombies or aliens), and there's just so much out there. (Most of it horrible, anyone remember Book of Eli?)

Second, the plot seems mostly about going out and leaving their comfy post apocalyptic shelter and going into the wastelands. I'm not sure how the characters can really develop. I suppose we can see struggle with Goodwin, or we can see some sort of metaphorical mountain in trying to find the new shelter, but I just don't see it as enthralling.

That's it. I've convinced myself I'm putting this in my "can't finish" shelf" :/


Zachariah | 5 comments Dan wrote: "Eh. I gotta say I'm not really impressed with this. I should mention I'm only 10% of the way through the book, but I'm seriously considering putting it down (and never picking it up again).

First ..."


I have to disagree mate. Sorry. I read +90% of that book and there are definitely interactions with aliens, both friendly and not. It has scenes in space as well. Even another planet.

Plus, there's a big spaceship on the cover.


message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan | 89 comments If there's interactions with aliens, they don't show up within the first 10% of it.

I have yet to meet a single alien, but plenty of talk of the "sky tyrants"


Zachariah | 5 comments Dan wrote: "If there's interactions with aliens, they don't show up within the first 10% of it.

I have yet to meet a single alien, but plenty of talk of the "sky tyrants""


I hear ya. But I personally don't expect an entire story, and as you say characters to develop, in the first 10%. Don't get me wrong. Everyone has their own taste. I'm just saying 10% is quite early to say this isn't space opera.Example, take John Scalzi's Old Man's War. You're halfway through the book before you see the first alien, though you hear about aliens being mentioned. The first 40% of the book was about an old man and his life and wife and so on. Just for the record, I LOVE that book. But if I had dropped it at 10%, I feel my life would be incomplete right now lol


message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan | 89 comments Yeah I guess my frustration is I just don't feel the pull of this book. It's true Old Man's War took FOREVER to actually introduce an alien, but it was such a lively read I was halfway through it in a night.

With Alliance, I've been trying to read it a week and it's more of a chore than a joy....


message 13: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan | 89 comments In a nutshell I feel like an author should make it so I can't wait for the characters to develop. I don't want to read a book because "gotta wait till the characters develop."

OTOH, The Dresden Files started out similarly. The first three books were almost forgettable drivel until it started getting gripping


message 14: by Chris (last edited Jan 06, 2018 09:15AM) (new)

Chris Wright (author_chris_g_wright) | 30 comments Let me start off by saying: This isn't me butting in because I can see that the Dan vs Zachariah squabble is getting quite exciting. Haha. Just kidding, guys. I'm just commenting because I seconded by own book for BOTM INDIE.

Now, re THE ALLIANCE, it's mostly plot-driven than character-driven, but only because it's the first part of a series of six. I wanted to lay down the foundations of a big story, and that can become quite tricky when you're telling it from many different characters' POVs, primarily Ethan, Donovan and Zai. I had wondered whether to go character-driven, which, I think, works well from a 1st person POV, and just focus on Ethan. But I wanted a deep story with layers, and for the story to develop faster. That doesn't mean the characters don't develop, they just do at a slower rate. After all, I have another 5 books to write before I finish the series. Plenty of opportunity for character development.

I guess my goal is for every book to stir a sense of nostalgia and pay homage to characters and events from the prequels. Let's say you get to book 3 [THE DIVIDE] and you discover that the main plot (conflict between the members of the Galactic Alliance) links all the way back to Ethan and Godfrey's side story about shadow governments and relocating the colony of Bath Abbey to an underground bunker in THE ALLIANCE. The whole shadow government/colony relocation isn't just a book filler; it's meant to be there so that when the reader gets to THE DIVIDE, their reaction will be something along the lines of "Oh my god, I thought that had just been the author filling up pages" (or whatever reaction comes first). Anyway, it's that sense of nostalgia that I'm aiming for. Plus, you'll look at the character of volume 3 and compare him/her to what they used to look like/think like/behave like in volume 1.

I guess I've always been inspired by R. A. Salvatore, who used to bring back old enemies and old friends/allies 10-15 books later. I swear I used to swoon. And, he would write 3rd person and from the POV of different characters, which I used to think was awesome because it would really keep the story interesting. Then again, Salvatore is an amazing author and a legend in my eyes.


message 15: by Les (last edited Jan 06, 2018 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Les | 53 comments Since I nominated this, here is my two cents worth...

I nominated The Alliance for this group read because I consider that it has a huge number of space opera elements, and that is definitely the direction that the saga is heading. Like the author Chris has said in his comments, this is a six-book series that has massive scope for plot and character development. This book really took me by surprise, in a very good way.

I can relate fully to those of you who have commented about the dystopian flavour of the beginning and, honestly, this was the only aspect of the book that I didn't really like myself, I consider the "worn-out Earth full of displaced and forlorn people" idea to be a big yawn for the most part. However, I never even considered mentioning this in my original review because I could always see why the author chose to begin his story here. It seems appropriate given that the story feels like a "fall and rise of the human race" type of tale, with an eventual exaltation or elevation somewhere along the line. The whole idea of entire species being players in a grand cosmic scheme is simply tantalizing, and if this is not space opera then I have no idea. It's hooked me that's for sure.

The character development is ample for this stage of a six-book series I would say, and from what Chris has told us so far, there is going to much more to learn of these players, plus meet new ones. I'm particularly intrigued by where he is going to take the Earth shadow government part of the story, and how this fits into human history and future.

I'm looking forward to reading more reader comments. And thanks for your own comments Chris, it's great to have the originator of the story taking part in these discussions.


message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Wright (author_chris_g_wright) | 30 comments Les wrote: "Since I nominated this, here is my two cents worth...

I nominated The Alliance for this group read because I consider that it has a huge number of space opera elements, and that is definitely the ..."


For two cents worth, that was right on the money. The book isn't the rise and fall of the human race, and then the downward spiral; it's the fall and rise, thanks to human resolve and some "external" help. I itch to elaborate, but Teresa has already copy pasted the book description at the very top.


message 17: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt (imagination_hunter7) | 24 comments Les wrote: "Since I nominated this, here is my two cents worth...

I nominated The Alliance for this group read because I consider that it has a huge number of space opera elements, and that is definitely the ..."


I've read your reviews before. I see them popping up here and there. I often agree with your opinion and taste of sci-fi, and I'm going to agree with you again. This is an incredible book, and the series itself sounds like it's going to be something to look forward to in the future of books. "Tantalizing" like you said. I think that's fitting.


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

The Alliance (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chris G. Wright (other topics)