Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > January 2018 Group Read with Guest Authors for Cancer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 203 (203 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Kenneth (last edited Dec 29, 2017 06:00PM) (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1529 comments Mod
This is the thread for our January 2018 Group Read with Guest Authors. We're kicking the new year off by having many of horror's best splatterpunk authors joining us as we read the compilation Splatterpunk Fighting Back. All proceeds from the sale of this anthology go to fighting cancer. The authors that will be joining us are Kristopher Rufty, Glenn Rolfe, Matt Shaw, Duncan Ralston, Adam Millard, Bracken MacLeod, John Boden, Rich Hawkins, George Daniel Lea, WD Gagliani and David Benton. Furthermore, they've dropped the price to only $0.99 for Splatterpunk Fighting Back. Won't you join me and help welcome all of these great authors and thank them for their contribution to such a great cause?

message 2: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Welcome and happy new year!
Thank you for supporting the cancer fight in this way! That is generous of you.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6101 comments Mod
What a great cause (and line-up)! Purchased, and looking forward to joining in the discussion.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 382 comments Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Just picked up my copy 👍 awesome line up 🤘🏻

message 5: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments Very cool. I got my copy and look forward to the discussion.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom | 20 comments Just downloaded my copy. I met Matt Shaw, one of the authors, at Horrorcon, Birmingham earlier this year. Really nice, amiable guy with a great sense of humour. You’d never think that his grotesque imaginings could come from such a mild mannered gent - but I guess that’s true of all of us in this forum!

message 7: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 7 comments I've never heard of Splatterpunk before, can't wait to dig in! I just purchased a copy and will be more than happy to participate in future discussions :)

message 8: by Nisar (new)

Nisar Masoom (nisarmasoom) Creativity for a great cause! I've only read Matt Shaw and he's an amazing storyteller. It doesn't come as a surprise that his work is featured in this anthology. I'm looking forward to this discussion.

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 283 comments Well done to all of you, Fabulous writers supporting a great cause. All power to you!

message 10: by Red (new)

Red Lace Reviews (redlace) | 42 comments All my respect goes to the authors.

Just bought my copy!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 146 comments I bought it! Will be worth every penny!

message 12: by Janie (new)

Janie C. | 2874 comments I finished the book before I saw this thread. It's a great book for a great cause. There is a lot of variety and creepiness to be found in these stories.

message 13: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 215 comments Thanks for buying copies! Thank you to Ken for setting this up for us. We're all very excited to share these stories with you and answer any questions you might have. Should be fun! Share the Horror, spread the word t all your horror friends. :)

message 14: by Bracken (new)

Bracken (an_adversary) Happy to be here, folks! Hope you enjoy the work!

message 15: by Duncan (new)

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Hey hey, folks! Looking forward to chattin' about horror with you all. Thanks for setting this up, Glenn and Ken!

message 16: by Jack (new)

Jack | 8 comments Thanks for this Ken, (and Glenn). Hope everyone has a good time!

message 17: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher Rufty | 18 comments Hey, everyone! Thank you all for the support.

message 18: by REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (last edited Dec 30, 2017 03:40PM) (new)

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 191 comments Kudos to every author represented here! You all can be very proud! Welcome--eager to "dig in." (My Kindle is nearly on fire with excitement!)

message 19: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 704 comments I bought my copy!
And looking forward to the discussion(s)

message 20: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 617 comments What a wonderful idea to start the year with - supporting a good cause and enjoying great stories. Got it and looking forward to reading&discussing!

message 21: by Colleen Marie (new)

Colleen Marie Zukowski (clevergirlfromgallifrey) | 4 comments I think this is great! My mom just finished a year of struggling with cancer so this is something that is very close to me at the moment and I love to be a part of it. I just bought my copy of the book and am looking very forward to this. From the daughter of a recent cancer survivor, thank you so much.

message 22: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 540 comments Purchased it for my kindle just yesterday. Happy new year everybody :)

message 23: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1529 comments Mod
I think all of us have been touched in some way by this dreaded disease. My question to the authors is this - How did this anthology come about and what made you submit the story you have featured here?

message 24: by Ami (last edited Dec 31, 2017 09:08PM) (new)

Ami | 204 comments Happy new year! Just purchased this book :D Looking forward to starting off the year with some good ol' splatterpunk. Thank you authors for chatting with us and for creating something to help a great cause. <3 I've never read anything by these authors so I'm really looking forward to getting to know their work.

message 25: by Tom (new)

Tom | 20 comments Have jumped straight in with Matt Shaw’s ‘Melvin’. If you’ve read any of his work before, such as his black book series, you won’t be disappointed in this. Typically gruesome with a rather unusual (and uncomfortable) premise. There’s not much punk in this but plenty of splatter. Loved the ending - I told you Shaw had a sense of humour!

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom | 20 comments I’m jumping around a bit, picking out those authors I’ve read before. So next up for me was Glen Rolfe’s ‘Molly.’ This was a well written page turner, taking up a popular theme at the moment of dolls - or I should say ‘doll.’ I won’t give any spoilers, but then again, short stories to me aren’t usually so much about the plot as the flash in the pan experience, and Rolfe satisfies this on every count. It features a ‘punk’ and plenty of splatter, as you would probably expect. What makes it different from most Chucky-esque tales is the explicit sex. A heady concoction indeed. I’ve had Rolfe’s ‘Black Rain’ novel sitting on my ‘to read’ shelf for some time now. ‘Molly’ has helped ratchet said book about werewolves to the front rank position.

message 27: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 215 comments Ken wrote: "I think all of us have been touched in some way by this dreaded disease. My question to the authors is this - How did this anthology come about and what made you submit the story you have featured ..."

Ken, This idea came about from Jack Bantry.Here's his post about the antho: "I am co-editing the antho with Kit Power and all royalties will go to the MacMillan charity. MacMillan nurses go into cancer patients home and nurse them through the final stages of the illness and help loved ones left behind. It's a charity close to my heart as my sister-in-law died recently after suffer for 5 years and I know everyone is touched by cancer in some way."

Jack and his partner in this endeavor, Kit Power, reached out to the authors they each wanted to be involved. I said yes as soon as I was asked. I lost my older brother to cancer back in 2010.

The piece I supplied ("Molly") was a piece I'd been talking about writing for two years. When Jack and Kit asked for something, I knew if I finally wrote this story with the splatterpunk touch to it, it would be perfect. Hope everyone enjoys it.

message 28: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 215 comments Tom wrote: "I’m jumping around a bit, picking out those authors I’ve read before. So next up for me was Glen Rolfe’s ‘Molly.’ This was a well written page turner, taking up a popular theme at the moment of dol..."

Hey, Tom. Thanks for picking up a copy of the antho. Glad to see you liked "Molly" My mom has a doll collection that has freaked me out for forever, It was only a matter of time until one of them invaded my writing.

message 29: by Char (new)

Char  | 14257 comments Mod
I bought my copy and I'm in!

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

I just want to thank Ken, and all the authors involved in taking the time to do this. I've very excited to dive in!

message 31: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 42 comments Hi all & happy 1st day of the year to all of my fellow horror freaks!!!

I sincerely hope you enjoyed your holiday-whichever one you celebrate :)
(I'm so lucky that I celebrate 2, lol!)

* My point is to say that this month's book happens to be one I've read & I can promise you ALL that if you don't dig every story in the anthology--I guarantee that more than one or two of the horrific & creepy tales are sure to strike your fancy. I can say this with total confidence because I'm speaking to my favorite group & at some level...we are all like-minded here.

Glenn Rolfe! Duncan Ralston! Kristopher Rufty! Also many more & I've discovered a few stories that have led me to search out other works by that same author. It's definitely how it's described. Splatterpunk is fun & I think any Horror Aficionado will dig it. Just a heads up...a few times (just a few) that I'd be reading along & suddenly say to myself, "wtf?!, did I just read that?". Then of course I'd re-read it & become even more interested to read on. If you're strictly into the ghost story/haunted house side of things, this will be a bit different for you. However, I think you'll like it.

This is a kickass collection that has no limitations!
Happy reading HAs!!!! ^_^

Sheri

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments What a great group read. I'm in!

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

Sheri wrote: "Hi all & happy 1st day of the year to all of my fellow horror freaks!!!

I sincerely hope you enjoyed your holiday-whichever one you celebrate :)
(I'm so lucky that I celebrate 2, lol!)

* My point..."

I think most of us like a bit of variety in our reading. Personally, I like "mixing it up", and sometimes you're in the mood for more extreme. :)

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 191 comments I've just read Adam's tale (and glad for the distraction, as this year has already brought some troublingness). I haven't read much by Adam, but found this very well-written and with a tremendous dose of that implacability i consider the trademark of good horror, and a protagonist who elicits empathy.

message 35: by Tim (new)

Tim (deathspiral) | 1 comments I just purchased this book today and read Adam’s story. This was a great and gruesome start. I’m loving it so far

message 36: by Julissa (new)

Julissa (ta2kitty) | 53 comments What a wonderful idea and what a great cause to support. Thank you to all the authors...getting my copy now!

message 37: by Adam (new)

Adam Millard (adammillard) | 1 comments Vintage Science Fiction Month--January wrote: "I've just read Adam's tale (and glad for the distraction, as this year has already brought some troublingness). I haven't read much by Adam, but found this very well-written and with a tremendous d..."

Thank you so much for the kind words. I truly appreciate it. All the best for 2018.

message 38: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 17 comments Just finished this collection. I didn't think it was going to be my thing, but I really enjoyed it.

Particularly appreciated the seasonality of Duncan Ralston's contribution!

message 39: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I have read the first 3 stories and liked all of them.
Each was a new author to me.
Adam Millard's story really captured the atmosphere of desperation at a dive bar.
Matt Shaw's story was so twisted and I laughed out loud.
Bracken Macleod's story played on fears of public and not really knowing people.

message 40: by Duncan (new)

Duncan Ralston (userbits) | 75 comments Caroline wrote: "Just finished this collection. I didn't think it was going to be my thing, but I really enjoyed it.

Particularly appreciated the seasonality of Duncan Ralston's contribution!"

Glad you dug "The Passion," Caroline! 'Twas good timing, for sure. :D

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 191 comments Just finished Matt Shaw's entry, "Melvin." Two thoughts: powerful reader's hook! And: I LOVE poetic justice!! Absolutely adored the rockin' ending.

message 42: by Char (new)

I bought this and hope to join in soon. Way to go, Ken! You did a great job putting this together, man. Thank you. :)

message 43: by Red (new)

Red Lace Reviews (redlace) | 42 comments I was hoping to at least be halfway through by now, but unfortunately I was knocked off my game by a touch of the flu!

They Swim by Night by Adam Millard
(view spoiler)

Melvin by Matt Shaw
(view spoiler)

Extinction Therapy by Bracken MacLeod
(view spoiler)

My initial thoughts of the first three stories!

message 44: by Kit (new)

Kit Power (kitpower) | 25 comments Hi all - I co-edited this anthology with Jack Bantry, and am proud and humbled to have been trusted by so many talented authors with their stories. I hope you all enjoy the book, and if you have any questions about the editing process for the anthology, just ask :)

message 45: by Char (new)

Hi Kit, thanks for stopping in! :)

message 46: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments Just picked this one up to join in because this just sounds awesome. Gonna try and slip in the stories here and there while I read through the larger book I started with on the 1st

message 47: by Bracken (new)

Bracken (an_adversary) Red wrote: "I was hoping to at least be halfway through by now, but unfortunately I was knocked off my game by a touch of the flu! ... [This one made me think a lot, probably a bit too much....

IMO, there's no such thing as a story that makes you think too much, Red. ;) I'm glad you liked the piece. You locked into exactly what I wanted with the story. Though, our traveler isn't much of a good person before the therapy.

message 48: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Fenner Just purchased this and look forward to getting stuck in!

message 49: by Kimberly (new)

Starting in on this one tonight!

message 50: by Red (last edited Jan 05, 2018 05:45AM) (new)

Red Lace Reviews (redlace) | 42 comments Bracken wrote: IMO, there's no such thing as a story that makes you think too much, Red. ;) I'm glad you liked the piece. You locked into exactly what I wanted with the story. Though, our traveler isn't much of a good person before the therapy."

Oh, I got that impression of Spencer. Very much indeed. With him he probably got everything and anything he wanted, money didn't seem to be an issue for him. Imagine having it all, isn't there a chance you'd start to feel bored with life? What if nothing made you excited anymore? And so he experienced something that thrilled him, by being able to let that inner animal out. Or this is the conclusion my thoughts came to, anyway.

And thank you for responding, Bracken! Made my day. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5