Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > March 2018 Short Story Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5012 comments Mod
March 2018 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A stories size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, you must identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help others view the book selected. Also, please make an effort to insure that the story you nominate is available for most members to access. It doesn't have to be free, but indicate a place to search, like Amazon, Local Libraries, Project Guttenberg, etc.

6. Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Dec 29, 2017 02:38PM) (new)

Bob | 5012 comments Mod
I have no plans to be anywhere near a computer on the 1st except to unlock this thread. Happy New Year!

message 3: by Pink (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:22AM) (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I'd like to nominate The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish, first published in 1666 and only 94 pages. Goodreads blurb describes it as the first ever science fiction work published by a female. That alone has sold it to me (plus it's on the serial reader app, so easy for me to get hold of!)

message 4: by Brina (new)

Brina Easy, second you again, Pink. You have awesome choices this month!

message 5: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I nominate White Nights by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, published in 1848 and 82 pages.

message 6: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I second White Nights. :-)

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Thanks again Brina :)

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I second White Nights. :-)"

Thank you Bat-Cat!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

message 10: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 449 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate White Nights by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, published in 1848 and 82 pages."

I'll third this! :-)

message 11: by Carol (new)

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Sarah wrote: "I nominate The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin."

I'll second this one :)

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Renee wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I nominate The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin."

I'll second this one :)"

Thanks, Renee!

message 16: by Loretta (last edited Jan 01, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Piyangie wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I nominate White Nights by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, published in 1848 and 82 pages."

I'll third this! :-)"

Thanks Piyangie! Really want to read this!!! 😊

message 17: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Muriel Spark is on my radar for 2018, so I'd like to nominate her The Abbess of Crewe (1974. 106 pages)

message 18: by maja (new)

maja | 41 comments My nomination is Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett.

message 19: by Jack (last edited Jan 02, 2018 02:02AM) (new)

Jack | 15 comments I nominate To Build a Fire by Jack London it's 32 pages first published in 1902

message 20: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4092 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Letter to a Child Never Born by Oriana Fallaci."

Oh, I second this one!

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina | 112 comments Jack wrote: "I nominate To Build a Fire by Jack London it's 32 pages first published in 1902"

I second it!

message 22: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2651 comments Kathleen wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Letter to a Child Never Born by Oriana Fallaci."

Oh, I second this one!"

Thanks, Kathleen :)

message 23: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline maja wrote: "My nomination is Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett."

I second this.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 03, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

I’d like to nominate Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez (120 pages).

message 25: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I'd nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott. Originally published in 1884, it's a satire about the society in which he lived. 96 pages

message 26: by Ed (new)

message 27: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1803 comments Jehona wrote: "I'd nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott. Originally published in 1884, it's a satire about the society in which he lived. 96 pages"

I second.

message 28: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1235 comments I think it must be my turn to nominate Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier

message 29: by Nix (new)

Nix | 112 comments Leni wrote: "I think it must be my turn to nominate Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier"

Lol, seconded!

message 30: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "Jehona wrote: "I'd nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott. Originally published in 1884, it's a satire about the society in which he lived..."

Thanks!

message 31: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 575 comments Carol wrote: "I nominate Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving."

I'll second this. I haven't read it in a long time.

message 32: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1235 comments Nix wrote: "Leni wrote: "I think it must be my turn to nominate Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier"

Lol, seconded!"

One month we will prevail!

message 33: by AnnaCecylia (new)

AnnaCecylia | 9 comments I nominate Xingu by Edith Wharton

message 34: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I nominate Chess Story by Stefan Zweig.

message 35: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll third Return of the Soldier :D *fingers crossed*

message 36: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1980 comments I Fourth Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier
The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West

I have it slated for December, so I can give it another 10 chances to win the poll... ;o)

message 37: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Darren wrote: "I Fourth Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier
The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West

I have it slated for December, so I can give it another 10 chances to win..."

😂

message 38: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9700 comments Mod
I will second Chess Story. I'm hoping it will win the poll one of these days.

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Katy wrote: "I will second Chess Story. I'm hoping it will win the poll one of these days."

Thanks, Katy!

message 40: by Petrichor (last edited Jan 07, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Wow, already four books that I would have seconded, but came too late! Chess Story, Flatland, The Importance of Being Earnest and Waiting for Godot.

Nothing left to do for me here except wait for the 14th and hope...

message 41: by Alia (new)

Alia | 228 comments Seconding The Importance of Being Earnest asssuming the poll is not closed.

message 42: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Alia wrote: "Seconding The Importance of Being Earnest asssuming the poll is not closed."

Nominations are open until the 14th Alia so you're good! 😊

message 43: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Angelann wrote: "I nominate Xingu by Edith Wharton"

I'll second if no-one has already

message 44: by Mercedee (last edited Jan 07, 2018 02:05PM) (new)

message 45: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 07, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

Kimberly | 9 comments Sarah wrote: "I nominate The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin."

Not that it makes a difference--I third this :) Love Kate Chopin!

message 46: by George P. (new)

George P. | 579 comments I'll second Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Garcia Marquez. I nominated it last month...

message 47: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 126 comments I'd like to vote for Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez, which Pam nominated and George seconded, but I don't know if I'm allowed, I'm sometimes lost with the rules.

message 48: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1235 comments We don't vote yet, Gabrielle. This is just the nomination stage. :) Once nomination closes there will be a poll where you just click on the book of your choosing.

message 49: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5012 comments Mod
Gabrielle wrote: "I'd like to vote for Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez, which Pam nominated and George seconded, but I don't know if I'm allowed, I'm sometimes los..."

Rule #6. Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

Gabrielle I don't see a prior nomination or second for this month so I'll add your second to Pam's nomination. Remember this is just nominations to determine what will be voted on during the polling period. Polls start on the 16th and run till the end of the month.

message 50: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 126 comments Bob wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: "I'd like to vote for Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez, which Pam nominated and George seconded, but I don't know if I'm allowed,..."

Leni wrote: "We don't vote yet, Gabrielle. This is just the nomination stage. :) Once nomination closes there will be a poll where you just click on the book of your choosing."

I'm sorry, it's quite confusion for me, these nominations, votes and polls. These words have not the same meaning in French. So I should have said: I second Pam's nomination? Thank you for your patience.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.