Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Pricing for Debut Novel: ebook and Createspace

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blaise (new)

Blaise Ramsay (bramsayauthor) | 9 comments Hello all!

So I don't want to go into a long spill so I was just wondering, what is a good price to put your new book up for on Amazon and Createspace?
I'm using both Createspace and Lulu.com and have no idea what fair pricing would be considering it's my debut novel.
I still have no idea how to fully use PODs or how to manage Amazon marketing. I'm basically seeking a mentor or a few of them that would be willing to guide me through the process.
Any and all advice is welcome!

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments How many words is it?

My novels average about 100,000 words. Paper is $14.95, Kindle $3.95.

message 3: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments It will depend on a few things, the most significant being what Createspace will let you charge. My books are trimmed 5X8, under 200 pages, contain no color pictures, and therefore cost about $7-ish for Createspace to print and cover Amazon's channel fees. So I price my books at $9.95 for a royalty of a couple dollars.

I've noticed that with paperbacks, the price usually ends in a ".95". I wanted to keep mine affordable because there are 7 in a series, so I kept each under $10. A longer book with color pictures would cost more to print so one might be forced to charge $15 or $20, depending on the book.

If you use Createspace for expanded distribution, you might be forced to charge even more, in order to cover additional Amazon fees. I personally use IngramSpark/LightningSource for expanded distribution (this basically means distribution anywhere that isn't Amazon) because it has a better royalty rate than Createspace. From your post, I assume you will use Lulu for expanded distribution, so maybe this isn't an issue for you.

Other things to consider when pricing your book:

How much are other books in this genre selling for?
How much do you want to make per copy?
How many pages does your book have?
What do you think it should be priced?

Ebooks are a little different. The average ebook price for an indie debut novel seems to be about 2.99, while their traditionally published counterparts seem to run about 9.99+. Some self-published authors launch their ebooks at 99 cents as an introductory price and later raise it to 2.99 or 3.99. It just depends on your marketing strategies and everything else. Hope this helps give you an idea :).

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Armstrong | 21 comments Congratulations!

My novels range from 200 to 500 pages and I typically set the Kindle at $3.95 with the paperback at $14.95.

There are different marketing strategies to consider with e-books, as some self-published authors offer a low introductory price and then raise the price after a week.

Best of luck to you!

Regards,

Lori

message 5: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
There's already a lot of threads going about pricing and you've already gotten some good advice on this one, so I'm closing it.

I also removed the link to your book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.