Middle East/North African Lit discussion

Daughters of Iraq
This topic is about Daughters of Iraq
Cruise Salon (Buddy reads) > Daughters of Iraq

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ardene (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 113 comments This is the thread for the buddy read of Daughters of Iraq. We'll be reading & discussing from mid Feburary - mid March 2018.

message 2: by Ardene (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 113 comments My book is here! I just received my copy of Daughters of Iraq, and am looking forward to February.

I've also just received the schedule for the Jewish Film Festival here in Atlanta, GA, and discovered that a documentary, Remember Baghdad, is going to be shown February 10th & 11th. Via photos and interviews with five families it shows what Jewish life was like in Baghdad in the early 20th century, and then what happens after World War II & the creation of the state of Israel.

message 3: by Ardene (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 113 comments I have started to read this and hope to post some questions/comments soon. How does a loose schedule of 60-70 pg/week sound?

That would be chap 1-7, 8-18, 19-31, 32-44. (The chapters are short)

message 4: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) | 208 comments Perfect. So, just so I understand, we'll read and discuss Chapters 1-7 between now and Feb 28?

message 5: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) | 208 comments Ardene wrote: "My book is here! I just received my copy of Daughters of Iraq, and am looking forward to February.

I've also just received the schedule for the Jewish Film Festival here in Atlanta, GA, and discov..."

Did you see that documentary? It sounded fascinating.

message 6: by Ardene (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 113 comments Carol, yes, first 7 chapters by end of February.

And yes, I did see the documentary, and it was quite moving, as well as interesting. It's not available on Netflicks or anywhere yet, but maybe in a year or two (I hope.) Remember Baghdad was made in the UK and will be on sale there towards the end of this year. I hope they get a way to distribute it beyond the UK.

They had interviews with people who escaped and are now living in the UK, and their love for Iraq was obvious.

message 7: by Ardene (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 113 comments I've written up a few questions to think about as you're reading as well. Let us know what you think.

Which character are you most curious about and why?
What’s most important in this book: plot or character?
Describe the writing style. Why do you think the author chose to write the story this way?
What feelings come up for you when reading these first chapters?
What questions do you have for these characters?