The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Sue Grafton has passed away.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (last edited Jan 11, 2018 02:04AM) (new)

Wendy | 571 comments According to my Facebook Sue Grafton page, she passed away from cancer. there will be no Z book, nor any media type shows depicting her work. I just listened to a podcast of her after Y came out. she sounded like a lovely person. I enjoyed her books immensely. her series we're one of the first I read as an adult. she will be missed greatly.

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8951 comments Mod
That's sad news! I haven't read her books for years, but I had fun with the ones I did read.

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Radley | 558 comments Oh dear R.I.P Sue Grafton I read a few and even though I wasn't keen on them as she's been pretty much constantly in the background so to speak... it feels like there is now a space where she used to be. She will be missed in the Crime Fiction world.
Maybe there will be a collaboration with an author who will finish it off one day.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissal88) | 21 comments She is the reason I started reading crime fiction. I adored Kinsey Millhone and her quirky nature. She will be sorely missed.

message 5: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller OMG!! No! I need to research this.

I love this series. 2016 and 2017, have taken enough of our authors. Prayers go out to her family if this is true.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 571 comments Is it okay to post the Facebook Page/Post to this site? It is written by het daughter. It was Grafton's wishes no one will write Z.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 37 comments I really enjoy her books and she will be missed.

message 8: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1528 comments My wife and I have enjoyed all of her books except Y. This is sad.

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35951 comments So sad. Z would have been nice, but maybe it is better this way.

A year or so ago I met a woman at the local big used book sale here who had known her in Santa Barbara and commented on what a lovely woman she had been.

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan (al_chaput) | 11 comments May she rest in peace.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 62 comments Jan C wrote: "So sad. Z would have been nice, but maybe it is better this way.

A year or so ago I met a woman at the local big used book sale here who had known her in Santa Barbara and commented on what a love..."

I met her in Ft. Worth several years ago when she was interviewed by a book editor and signed books afterward. She was warm, kind, and gracious.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments Am very sad to hear of her passing. I’m up to G is for Gumshoe and honestly don’t know whether to continue if there will be no resolution to the series with Z.

message 13: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Radley | 558 comments ^ continue with it, it doesn't matter if there is no end point, if you enjoy the series read on and tbh the characters still live on even if there is no end.

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Oh, My Goodness, I am upset~~~!!

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thomas wrote: "My wife and I have enjoyed all of her books except Y. This is sad."

I am devastated, Thomas.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill I just read that too. Very sad. I have completed Letter 'S' so I only have six more to look forward to. Will have to make them last.

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1423 comments I've only read A is for Alibi and really enjoyed it. This very sad news.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8406 comments This is such sad news. I love Kinsey Milhone and will miss her (and her friends). RIP Sue Grafton.

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I was getting ready to read V is for Vendetta.

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick | 1 comments Wow- I had not heard this until reading this thread. Good thing I joined this group this morning!! I have always thought/hoped she had the whole series finished and locked away to release whenever she wanted. A very sad way to start the New Year-

message 21: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 09, 2018 07:31PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) My mom and I used to bond over her books. I really miss those days. (She has a hard time reading/concentrating now.) Very sad. I admire her for not selling out.

message 22: by Wendy (last edited Jan 11, 2018 02:08AM) (new)

Wendy | 571 comments Sue Grafton had/has a great facebook page. When alive, she would up date fans on her life. I guess she kept the cancer a secret, because we were blindsided. Her daughter Jamie, has graciously kept us all updated and uploaded lovely photos and articles pertaining to her mother's life. A website has produced a t-shirt proclaiming "alphabet ends with Y" with her birth and death dates. Fans are going 2 ways,. they are freaked out over the T-shirt saying it is a money grabbing scheme and in poor taste while others find it nostalgic and heartfelt. Jamie her daughter has granted permission for this t-shirt but is not getting any significant m o n i e s from the t-shirts. What say you?

message 23: by W (new)

W Sorry to hear this,two of her books are on my to read shelf.

message 24: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 1453 comments All of her books from A to O are the Daily Deal on amazon.com today for $2.99 or $3.99 for US residents