Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn discussion

Group Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments I was wondering if we could set up a group reading and discussion of a Lovecraft story or set of stories? We could say which ones we want to read and then vote. We coudl then setup a month for the read and then discussion. I am doing this in another group on goodreads and it is quite interesting the discussion aspect.

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1 comments I like that idea.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments I think the moderater can setup a poll for which book people want to read. At least that is how it is setup in other groups. I guess first we need to have more people interested in doing this.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments This I copied from another group i am in, how they have it setup.

Here are the guidelines for the group reads:

1st of month:
I will start a post for nominations for the following month. These can be any author, the only criteria being that they are Victorian (obvioulsy).

5th of month:
I will send out group invites for the poll with this months chosen books. We will then have 5 days to vote in the poll before it closes.

10th of month:
Poll closes and we can buy / borrow our books in plenty of time (as requested) for next month

1st of following month:
Group read commences and threads will be set up (in portions of the book to avoid spoilers for people)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (Popegrutch) | 9 comments This sounds like a good idea to me, also. It is getting to be the time of year (the months running up to Halloween) that I like to return to HPL.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments September or October would be a good time to start maybe. We could choose between Lovecraft and then lovecraft inspired if we wanted to so it broadens are choice over time. Also if we are going to read Lovecraft, being his stories are not huge sometimes, maybe we can pick a bigger story as the main one to read, then a shorter one to go with it. I am just throwing out ideas here.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert | 1 comments This is a great idea. Count me in.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments I guess then we just need to hear from the moderators, Ryan and Addie, to see what they think. It will be easy to start it I believe.

message 9: by Katelis (new)

Katelis Viglas (proclus) | 5 comments I like the idea too. If I could follow the programme, would be great. It sounds very creative.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments Maybe while we wait to hear from everyone and the moderators, we can list out some book and story suggestions. So, if you wish, write down what books or stories you feel should be included in the vote for the first group reading. We could try to start for the month of October.

message 11: by Katelis (last edited Aug 14, 2009 12:47PM) (new)

Katelis Viglas (proclus) | 5 comments As it is well known the most of Lovecraft's works are published posthumously. The original editions of his works are now collectible. Around the world there are an immense number of secondary editions of his works, and literally infinite collections and anthologies of Lovecraft's classic stories.
There are also so many essays, epistles, poems, "collaborations", etc.
So, I propose to make a catalogue of his works, - there is already in many sites in the web - and each one read the text in the most accessible for him edition, - or even from the web, since many of Lovecraft's works are now in public domain

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments It would be great to see a catalog of all that is out there or as much as possible. I know there are still things i see that I have not touched upon. But I for one would love to reread whatever i have read already to gain some deeper understanding of the mythos and the stories themselves.

Who published the original editions?

message 13: by Katelis (last edited Aug 14, 2009 01:53PM) (new)

Katelis Viglas (proclus) | 5 comments Well, the most famous publishing house is, of course,
Arkham House

http://www.arkhamhouse.com/

But there are some others too.

When Lovecraft died, in 1937, only a small part of his work had been published. One of his correspondents, August Derleth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_D...

decided to devote his life to publishing, maintaining and spreading his friend's work.
So, he founded Arkham House with another Lovecraft's correspondent. Otherwise we would know nothing for writer's work.

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments These are my proposals. Once we have everyones ideas we can narrow a selection to vote on. We can maybe choose one Novella and then one short story.

Novellas:

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Shadow over Innsmouth
The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Shadow Out of Time

Short story:

Dagon
The Doom that came to Sarnath
The Call of Cthulhu
The Dreams in the Witch House
The Dunwich Horror

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5 comments Mod
Hi guys, I think this is a great idea. I've been slammed with work recently but if we have volunteers to get everything rolling count me in.

message 16: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments I can try to instigate the selection of books from everyone, also then create the poll whereby we can vote on the book we want to read for say October.

message 17: by Ray (new)

Ray | 11 comments I like this idea, count me in!

So first month a novella, 2nd month a short story? If so, I'm good with that.

My preferences:

Novellas:
The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Shadow Out of Time

Short story:

Dagon
The Call of Cthulhu
The Dunwich Horror

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments Ray wrote: "I like this idea, count me in!

So first month a novella, 2nd month a short story? If so, I'm good with that.

My preferences:

Novellas:
..."

Maybe what i should do is put up a poll with a selection of novellas and we can vote. The result of that can be for the month of October reading. Then I can throw up a poll of a short story and we can vote on that for November. This way its clear. I will try to put up a greater selection of shorts for the poll to choose from. Any suggestions of novellas or short stories for either poll just sent them to me.

message 19: by Katelis (last edited Aug 20, 2009 03:53PM) (new)

Katelis Viglas (proclus) | 5 comments I have the impression that Lovecraft belongs to that specific category of writers whose life and work go hand in hand. Granted, also, that the critics have separate his work in some periods, I would propose to start from his early works, and then proceed to the next, according to the chronological catalogue of them.

See here:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/f...

As for the proposals of the previous conversationalists, the chronology of each novel and story is as follow:

Novellas:

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (1927)
The Whisperer in Darkness (1930)
The Shadow over Innsmouth (1931)
The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath (1926-7)
The Shadow Out of Time (1934)

Short story:

Dagon (1917)
The Doom that came to Sarnath (1919)
The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
The Dreams in the Witch House (1932)
The Dunwich Horror (1928)

But, of course, I have no reason to disagree with these proposals. In fact I would be happy to read the fictions, or read them again.

message 20: by Snickering Imp (new)

Snickering Imp (Snickering_imp) | 1 comments I also like the idea of moving through the works chronologically. Digging back into these stories (and into ones I haven't read before) has been on my list of things to do for too long. A group reading/discussion is perfect cause to get to it.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments A poll is up now with a selection of novellas to vote on for a group reading and discussion in October. The poll is on until the 21st of September. I put the novellas in chronological order on the poll. But everyone will vote how they want.
here is the link : http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/12...

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments The winner for the October book read is The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

I will create a discussion section or sections depending on the story. Discussion can start at your leisure on October 1st allowing some time to obtain the book.

Discussion will officially end on October 31st.

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 42 comments Maybe we can leave the discussion and reading open for The Case of Charles Dexter Ward through November. In case anyone wants to add to it or post their own questions.

We can choose a new book read for December 1st. Any ideas for the next one?