✨ Adults Who Read YA ✨ discussion

2018 Reading Challenges

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
Want to set a Reading Challegen but baybe the PopSugar Challenge 2018 picks aren't for you? Then you should check out the 2018 Riveted Reading Challenge. If anyone is interested in this one, I can create a discussion board for tracking just Riveted reading picks. It works a little differently than Popsugar- instead of one book counting for one completed item, one book can count for multiple and/or each item. It's up to you how much you want to challenge yourself!

Here's what they came up with:

"Come join us on our reading challenge! Here are the 25 goals we’re setting for ourselves this year. Since we’re all about fun, there’s no strict rules here — you can use one book to knock out multiple challenges, or you can add a layer by only allowing yourself to use a book once. Join us using the hashtag #RivetedReadingChallenge — we want to see your shelfies, see your bookstagrams, and know what you’re reading to fulfill our challenges! If you’re having trouble finding a book, tweet us @Riveted, comment here, or check out the hashtag! We’ll be here to help you every step of the way.

Happy reading! And happy 2018!"

Read a book written in verse
Read a fantasy or science fiction novel with explicitly queer characters
Start a new series
Read a sequel
Read a YA nonfiction book
Read a debut by an author of color
Read a book (any genre) starring a queer character of color
Read a book that’s been longlisted for a National Book Award (any year!)
Read a book that’s over 500 pages long
Read a science fiction book with a female protagonist
Read a book that confronts or discusses sexism
Read a book that confronts or discusses racism
Read a book with a first-generation immigrant main character
Read a work of historical fiction
Read a sci-fi novel written by a woman
Read a book featuring a dysfunctional family dynamic
Judge a book by its cover! Read something exclusively based on how good the cover art looks.
Read a book that has a person of color on the cover
Read a romance (comedy or drama) with two PoC protagonists
Read a YA anthology (fiction or nonfiction!)
Read a book about a character who’s struggling with mental illness
Read a book about toxic friendships
Read a book based on a true story
Read a book with an interracial relationship
Read a book where a sport is a major focus/plot element

#Reading Resolutions

message 2: by Christina (last edited Dec 29, 2017 10:43AM) (new)

I'm over here like:

description

"New year new books!"

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Jan 01, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

Melissa (readinthecorner) | 108 comments If anyone would like to tackle the challenge of "book that’s over 500 pages long" with some huge ambitions, I'm reading War and Peace in 2018! There is a large group on Reddit dedicated to this as it was calculated that you could read a chapter a day (each are approx. 4 pages) and finish within a year.

Goodreads also has a group dedicated to the challenge, but there are so few members! If you're interested, you can join and see how far you get: War and Peace in 2018.

Pictured: Me realizing what I've just gotten myself into...

Addams Family reading

message 4: by Brandi Rae (new)

Brandi Rae Fong (brandiraefong) I think this may be the year I give into my reading challenge addiction....I love the concept, and while I read a ton, the follow through of recording them is a bit weak.

I've decided that for this year, for Riveted I'm only going to count YA books (they are a YA imprint, and I am a YA librarian), but Reader Harder by Book Riot and Popsugar anything will count. And I can use books across lists, but not the same book for different categories on the same list (because, I'm addicted to lists, and not actually insane).

I think a lot of the categories on the challenge lists will just naturally fill in as I read.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Melissa wrote: "If anyone would like to tackle the challenge of "book that’s over 500 pages long" with some huge ambitions, I'm reading War and Peace in 2018! There is a large group on Reddit dedicated ..."

hehehehe

message 6: by Christina (new)

Brandi Rae wrote: "I think this may be the year I give into my reading challenge addiction....I love the concept, and while I read a ton, the follow through of recording them is a bit weak.

I've decided that for thi..."

I think that's what I am going to try too, especially because there are many Graphic Novels I want to make time for this year.

Last year (2017) I just fit books in where they worked most and refit them later if I had to.

message 7: by Christina (last edited Jan 03, 2018 09:38AM) (new)

For anyone who is interested, I have also decided to take on Emma of emmabooks' Shadowhunters Reading Challenge. Basically it's a year long read-a-thon, leading up to the release of Queen of Air and Darkness (which, that cover! Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, #3) by Cassandra Clare ) I've never read the Shadowhunters books(gasp! sort of dabbled with the first book) but always wanted to. I plan to do this as a listening challenge, as the audio for the first book is good so far (fingers crossed they kept the same narrator throughout!)

For more info and her Facebook page where discussions will be held, check out her video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBmI...

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (readinthecorner) | 108 comments Christina wrote: "For anyone who is interested, I have also decided to take on Emma of emmabooks' Shadowhunters Reading Challenge. Basically it's a year long read-a-thon, leading up to the release of Queen of Air a..."

So many feelings after reading your post!

This challenge makes me tired just thinking about it! I was very lucky to jump onto the Shadowhunters fandom right before "City of Lost Souls" was released so I could basically follow it through to the end. It's quite a trip so I hope you love the series!

I haven't even started the Dark Artifices series though so let me know what you think when you get there. Maybe I should give it a go this year? :-)

PS... I have some bad news! The narrator for the Infernal Devices series is different and she's a bit... dull. O.o

message 9: by Christina (new)

Melissa wrote: "Christina wrote: "For anyone who is interested, I have also decided to take on Emma of emmabooks' Shadowhunters Reading Challenge. Basically it's a year long read-a-thon, leading up to the release ..."

1- Waaaaaa, no! The first narrator is good, why change?? Hopefully it goes back to being good after that?

2 - Join meeee! I'd love to have someone else to talk to about these books as I get reading them. I'm mainly wanting to read the last 3 in the series since everyone's been raving about them but I'm so behind. While there are at least 11? 13? books to read, I feel like now is a good time. It also (hopefully) gives me a guaranteed audiobook selection for the next year LOL (the way Emma breaks it down in the video feels doable to me, considering it includes the Bane Chronicles and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy short stories)

Yay long commutes!