What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mail
This topic is about Mail
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Contemporary Fiction/Romance - divorced Harvard English prof takes care of new-step-sibling's child. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Davida "Davi" (new)

Davida "Davi" (dlsteinb) | 5 comments I read this book in early 2000s or 2010s. The protagonist is a divorced woman, an English professor. She teaches at Harvard Extension School, where anyone can take a class. But she tells people she is a professor at Harvard University. Her ex-husband IS a professor at Harvard University - and they have the same last name, so people take the class thinking he is the professor. She does not let on that the more famous professor is her ex-husband. Meanwhile, she has a new adult step-sibling, who drops her young child with the protogonist. Protagonist has never parented before. She lets the young child watch TV before he explains that he is not allowed to watch TV at home. The child wants to eat at International House of Pancakes because of the commercials. Also, the protagonist gets a short story published - in Playgirl magazine, the magazine with naked men. She gets a copy of the magazine, and the child sees the naked men, a special issue of lawyers, with briefcases strategically placed, and assumes that the men go to work in a hot climate and need fewer clothes. The protagonist is concerned that the step-sibling will despise her for poor babysitting. It is pretty funny but to be honest I don't remember too much intimate details of the protagonist's romantic life, I think it was kept pretty clean and focused on the plot rather than the bedroom.

message 2: by Davida "Davi" (new)

Davida "Davi" (dlsteinb) | 5 comments Bump - any leads?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35145 comments Mod
Davi, can you tell us more about the hero - how the couple meets, similar age?, his job/skills/interests, love/hate at first sight, etc.?

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4228 comments Is it Mail by Mameve Medwed?

message 5: by Davida "Davi" (new)

Davida "Davi" (dlsteinb) | 5 comments Holy moley Ayshe, I think you're right! I am ordering the book now to see if it is 100% but from the reviews I think yes! Wow! Thanks! Now I am curious to hear how you knew... have you read it, how did you research, etc.? THANK YOU!

message 6: by Kris (new)

Here's the Google Books Preview of Mail by Mameve Medwed - Ayshe's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=qph...

It looks like each chapter begins with a postmark symbol (7 wavy horizontal lines) beside the chapter number.

message 7: by Davida "Davi" (new)

Davida "Davi" (dlsteinb) | 5 comments Yes, seems very likely! If you'd like to consider this one "found" that is OK with me!
Thank you so much!

message 8: by Kris (last edited Oct 22, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

Davida, I moved your request to a Solved folder. If you find this isn't your book, just let us know and you (or a Moderator) can move this thread back to the Unsolved folder. Good luck!

message 9: by Davida "Davi" (new)

Davida "Davi" (dlsteinb) | 5 comments Thanks, Moderator Kris! And Reader Ayshe!

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4228 comments You're welcome! I searched in Google books for Playgirl magazine "short story" subject:fiction, "Mail" came up and when I saw the "degree from Harvard" mentioned in its description, I thought this might be it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mail (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mameve Medwed (other topics)