Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2009-08 Mistborn: books 2 and 3 in the trilogy (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I thought I'd start a topic for anyone who wants to chat about the other 2 books in the trilogy. Obviously this will contain spoilers, so don't read this if you haven't read them yet. (I will stay out of this thread myself for this reason!)

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I just finished book 2 last night and started on book 3. I'll be back here when I finish that one.....

message 3: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Has anyone else here finished them all? I was getting ready to re-read the trilogy. I am thinking by next week I will be done (inhales books).

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I've read all of them. I did them back-to-back when Hero of Ages was released.

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Good! I will commence with the re-reads!

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Man....I finished Hero of Ages last night..I'm still reeling a bit....

message 7: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 621 comments Chris wrote: "Man....I finished Hero of Ages last night..I'm still reeling a bit...."

That was quite an ending. I was reeling a bit myself.

message 8: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Ack- I knew I bought all the books and then realized (after an hour of digging up the whole house) that I gave them as a gift to my brother! Well, on the library list. First book arrived this morning. There is a waiting list on the others. Darn.

message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Oct 02, 2009 07:15AM) (new)

Kathi | 2502 comments Mod
I finished the trilogy last night. I thought Book 2 was the weakest in some ways, but Books 1 & 3 were excellent. Kind of a too neat & tidy ending but still unexpected in the way it played out... I had liked Sazed as a character all along, although his depression and apathy in most of Book 3 really bugged me!! Tensoon was another key character I liked.

Vin's earring being a kind of hemalurgic spike was a real surprise to me, but really "fit" after I thought about it.

In many ways, Elend was the character who changed the most during the trilogy. I always liked & respected him but my respect really grew as he matured and integrated his roles into a coherent self.

Marsh remains for me a difficult character.

After I have more time to reflect (and write) I will post my review.

message 10: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I just finished re-reading the trilogy last week. Loved it even more than the first time around.

I am such a fan of all the characters. Sanderson did a very nice job of bringing them each to life. Even more minor characters, such as Cett and Yomen, were given enough attention to make them feel real.

Spook is one of my favorite characters. I think his growth through the series is more pronounced than anyone else's.

I was relieved at how well the issues were "buttoned up". Sanderson did leave open the one issue of two additional metals. But, I believe this was a well planned issue to (a) leave the reader feeling that there are more great achievements and struggles in the future of these people, and (b), leave an opening for possible future books. I personally hope he does not write anymore books of this world. I like leaving the future up to my imagination.

Marsh is a difficult character, but I have so much empathy for him. He was possessed. In the only way he could, he tried to contribute anyway. He suffered for the original cause of destroying the Lord Ruler and he continued to suffer in the small part of his mind that was trying to fight Ruin as it controlled him through to the "end of the world". Prior to that he carried his own pain at Kelsier winning the heart of the woman he wanted and becoming the rebel leader that he had wanted to be. What a tragic figure.