Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for November!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Aug 19, 2009 09:16AM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

It's time to take nominations for our November Books of the Month! As always, every member can make one SF and/or one fantasy nomination. You can nominate anything --- a new book you just read, or an old favorite, or something you're planning to read soon and would like to discuss. You can also re-nominate any book that was nominated before but didn't win the poll.

Please make your nominations, by replying to this message, before August 20th.

Stefan

NOMINATIONS:

SF

Radio Freefall, Matthew Jarpe (brad)
The Dreaming Void, Peter F. Hamilton (sisimka)
The Children of Men, P. D. James (chris)
Babylon Babies, Maurice G. Dantec (ron)
The Dark Beyond the Stars, Frank M. Robinson (random)
The Outback Stars, Sandra McDonald (kerry)
Brasyl, Ian McDonald (cliff)
Farthing, Jo Walton (carolyn)
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card (laurel)
Blindsight, Peter Watts (sandi)
Variable Star, Spider Robinson (diane)
The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson (anomander)

FANTASY

Winter's Tale, Mark Helprin (sisimka)
Rose Daughter, Robin McKinley (chris)
Blood and Iron, Elizabeth Bear (ron)
Daughter of the Blood, Anne Bishop (kerry)
Heaven's Net Is Wide, Lian Hearn (cliff)
Brokedown Palace, Steven Brust (laurel)
The Somnambulist, Jonathan Barnes (sandi)
Eon Dragoneye Reborn, Alison Goodman (diane)
The Initiate Brother, Sean Russell (anomander)

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad Clarkston | 13 comments For SF I would like to nominate 'Radio Freefall' by Matthew Jarpe. You can read the first three chapters at his website [ matthewjarpe.com :] and it's available in mass paperback.

It's a great little page turner that's more character based than plot based but it's a fast read with interesting characters and if your a music fan that's an extra bonus.

- Brad

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) For SF I'd like to nominate The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton. I remember the group really enjoying Pandora's Star a couple years back. I've had this one on my TBR shelf for a while and I'm looking forward to reading it.

For Fantasy I'd like to nominate Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. I think it qualifies as fantasy? Perhaps just barely...it definitely promises to be a literary treat.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I nominate for fantasy Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley.

For SF, I nominate The Children of Men by P.D. James

message 5: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments For fantasy I'd like to nominate Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear. Her sf novel "Hammered" generated lots of discussion here some months ago.

For science fiction I'll nominate Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec. This was made into the movie "Babylon AD".

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 802 comments For SF I would like to nominate
The Dark Beyond the Stars by Frank M. Robinson
Its a good story that brings up a number of interesting questions and ideas. Plenty of fodder for discussion.

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I'd like to nominate Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop for fantasy.

For SF, I'd like to nominate The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald.

message 8: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 15 comments I'd like to nominate Heaven's Net Is Wide by Lian Hearn for fantasy.

For SF I'll nominate Brasyl by Ian McDonald.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) These are some great nominations. It's going to be another tough vote this month!

message 10: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 12, 2009 10:57AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 126 comments I'll nominate Farthing by Jo Walton, I think it falls under SF, as an alternate history...

message 11: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've heard good things about Ender's Game and Brokedown Palace

message 12: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Ender's Game was Book of the Month here already - it's even in the Hall of Fame. Not that that disqualifies it, but an unread book may get more votes (at least I hope so - would prefer to read/discuss something new).

I would probably vote for the Steven Brust novel you nominated, though --- one of the very few by that author I haven't read yet.

message 13: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Oops - sorry about the mistake Stefan.

message 14: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Have we read Blindsight by Peter Watts yet? I've been wanting to read it for a while now. It's science fiction.

What about The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes for fantasy? I've been wanting to read that one too.

There are a lot of terrific books to chose from on the nomination list.

message 15: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 170 comments Ron wrote: "For fantasy I'd like to nominate Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear. Her sf novel "Hammered" generated lots of discussion here some months ago."

Wow, I didn't realize that Bear wrote and Fantasy. This would be cool.

message 16: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 170 comments I'd like to nominate The two pearls of wisdom by Alison Goodman. I haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but the premise sounds interesting:

From Amazon: Eon is a potential Dragoneye, able to manipulate wind and water to nurture and protect the land. But Eon also has a dark secret. He is really Eona, found by a power-hungry master of the Dragon Magic in a search for the new Dragoneye. Because females are forbidden to practise the Art, Eona endures years of study concealed as a boy. Eona becomes Eon, and a dangerous gamble is put into play. Eon's unprecedented display of skill at the Dragoneye ceremony places him in the centre of a power struggle between the Emperor and his High Lord brother. The Emperor immediately summons Eon to court to protect his son and heir. Quickly learning to navigate the treacherous court politics, Eon makes some unexpected alliances, and a deadly enemy in a Dragoneye turned traitor. Based on the ancient lores of Chinese astrology and Feng Shui, The Two Pearls of Wisdom and its sequel The Necklace of the Gods are compelling novels set in a world filled with identities, dangerous politics and sexual intrigue.

For SF: Variable Star by Spider Robinson on a premise by Robert A. Heinlein.

message 17: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Aug 13, 2009 09:00AM) (new)

Wow, some really excellent nominations so far. Keep them coming! I've added a list of the nominations to the first post in the thread.

PS It's perfectly okay to nominate books that have been Book of the Month already --- I just pointed it out because they might not get many votes, in case you want to change your nomination.

message 18: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 13, 2009 10:48AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 126 comments Diane wrote: "I'd like to nominate The two pearls of wisdom by Alison Goodman. I haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but the premise sounds interesting:

From Amazon: Eon ..."

FYI:
Just wanted to let people know that this book has been published under three different titles, which is confusing - they are all combined correctly in GR under Eon Dragoneye Reborn (it's the most rated, so it is the one that comes up first...)

Edit: Forgot to say, it looks good, so I added it to my TBR list! =- )

message 19: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Diane wrote: "I'd like to nominate The two pearls of wisdom by Alison Goodman. I haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but the premise sounds interesting:

F..."

Thanks Carolyn, I'll change the nomination to that title, to avoid confusion.

message 20: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 15 comments Blindsight by Peter Watts is a great nomination, I wish I had thought of it. As an added bonus the full book is available for free at the author's website at http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsigh...

message 21: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments To add two more cents, "Blindsight" is terrific and might get my vote even over my own nominee.
The Eon Dragoneye novel sounds familiar--did they make a movie of it with Barbra Striesand? "Eontl", I think the title was... :)

message 22: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 170 comments Ron wrote: "To add two more cents, "Blindsight" is terrific and might get my vote even over my own nominee.
The Eon Dragoneye novel sounds familiar--did they make a movie of it with Barbra Striesand? "Eontl", ..."

As far as I know it's a new novel published in 2008. Unless, I'm being dense and you are making a joke: Yentl is the Streisand movie... :-)

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I read Blindsight this year and it was great. I think it would make a wonderful discussion!

message 24: by Anomander (new)

Anomander | 35 comments A bit last minute but I'd like to nominate

The Diamond Age Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson for SF

and for Fantasy, The Initiate Brother by Sean Russell

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments NOO NOOO please stop why must all the books be books I want to read. ARGHHHH

message 26: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

It's always fun when the nominations list is so good... Should lead to some healthy discussion during the voting.

Last chance to put in your nominations --- I will set up the first round of polls tomorrow!

message 27: by Random (last edited Aug 19, 2009 10:40AM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 802 comments The good part about a lot of interesting nominations is that even if they don't win, they're still fodder for my TBR list. :)

One thing that has really drawn me here is the tendency for this group to have a more unique reading list than the other groups out there. I've been introduced to more than a few new authors and books.

message 28: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Okay folks, I've just set up the first round of polls! You can vote here for SF and here for fantasy. On August 25th I'll set up the run-off polls with the top 2 (or however many are tied for 1st or 2nd place) of each poll. As always, feel free to campaign for your nominations, and keep in mind - if your book doesn't win this time, you can always re-nominate it next month!

Stefan

message 29: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I'd be excited to try out Elizabeth Bear.

When I looked over the SF list - I have Nowhere to start. I'd read just one of the titles, and know nothing about any of the others.

Anybody want to clue me what you think I may like to vote for?

In the past, for SF, I've loved R.M. Meluch, Sarah Zettel, Bujold, Dune (but not its sequels), Iain M. Banks, Zelazny, Lowachee, Cherryh, Wilson, Zindell ...character driven, definitely though I've read the Ringworld's and the 3 B's,(Bear, Benford, Brin) and other idea driven books, they are not books I return to.

message 30: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments @Janny: Blindsight or Farthing might work for you. I haven't read either of them, but they've been recommended to me and on my TBR for months. Ender's Game is very good and Ender, the central character, is unforgettable.

message 31: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Jon wrote: "@Janny: Blindsight or Farthing might work for you. I haven't read either of them, but they've been recommended to me and on my TBR for months. Ender's Game is very good and Ender, the central ch..."

Hi Jon, thanks! I will read the descriptions of those two you suggested. Actually (forgot) I had read Ender's Game way back when it came out - good story. I'd prefer to try something new, my reading time is drastically limited.

If anyone else has suggestions, fire away. Thanks.

message 32: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Hmmm... It's hard to pick a recommendation, Janny.

Ian McDonald is a brilliant writer, but I think he's more idea-driven than character-driven, so that may not fit your taste perfectly.

I'm a big fan of Peter F. Hamilton, but I wouldn't have picked that book to start. It's set in the same universe as 2 of his other books, but 1500 years later. I would read "Pandora's Star" and "Judas Unchained" before this book.

I've read one Jo Walton book (Tooth and Claw) and on the strength of that one, I'm actually voting for Farthing, but I'm not familiar with the book itself.

Ender's Game is a classic, but it's been discussed to death (including here, a few years ago) so I'm hoping it won't win. Plus I'm not particularly eager to read anything by this author.

The Diamond Age is lots of fun (Stephenson almost always is), and it's an interesting book in terms of the evolution of SF. I think he's written better books, but I'd still love to re-read this one and discuss it.

All the rest I'm familiar with by name only. The Sandra McDonald series is high on my list of books to check out soon - the latest one in that series just came out last week I think.

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments I'm also not wanting to reread "Ender's Game" and would prefer something newer. I've put "Babylon Babies" on my TBR list, even though I didn't vote for it. There are so many good nominees.

message 34: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 802 comments Many of the books in the list sound interesting to me. I plan on reading a few of them even if they aren't picked.

That said, I have to plug the book I nominated even though I realize its likely not going to win. :) The Dark Beyond the Stars is so hard to describe well without spoiling the plot or any surprises. The story is good, a look at social structures, a bit of a mystery, and....well more. :) It also has several points that really make you think.

I found a small description that might help a little.

"Imagine that you wake up in a hospital bed. All you can remember is the last mission, the one that put you into that bed. You don't know who you are, or what else has happened before that last planetary landing. You don't remember the people around you -- either their names or what they mean to you. And you need to discover what mission the ship is on.

The facts are easy to determine. Your name is Sparrow. You are a seventeen-year-old tech assistant. People are named after birds, or characters in the Bible, or from plays. The ship is the Astron, an interstellar ship, and it is on a mission to discover life in the universe. It has been going for two thousand years. Now the crew is faced with a decision, should it cross a huge expanse of space known as the Dark? It is a rift of empty space that will take a hundred generations to cross. The Captain is the same Captain that started the voyage, 2000 years before, because he had received a longevity treatment which has kept him young.

Yet somehow the facts aren't quite what they seem."

Plus, I do have to admit, I prefer tossing in books which seem less read and less well known.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Random,

I like that you do that. If the book sounds interesting, even if it doesn't win, I'll track it down.

That's what I like about this whole system.

message 36: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Thank you, Jon, Random and Stefan, for taking the time to give me a helpful steer!

Decision time - grin - you devils, you've made it harder still!

message 37: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The run-off polls are up - please go vote!

Also, the polls about our June books are ending in a few days, so this is your last chance to vote or change your vote (e.g. if you voted "Still reading it" and you're now done, you can give the book a score):

Fantasy: City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer - http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/16...

SF: The Braided World, Kay Kenyon - http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/16...