Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Our Town by Thornton Wilder (39 Short Essays on Modern Theater)
This topic is about Our Town by Thornton Wilder
Archive Plays > 2018 Play 'Our Town' by Thornton Wilder

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Dec 29, 2017 07:19AM) (new)

Lesle | 5727 comments Mod
The story of the fictional American small town of Grover's Corners between 1901 and 1913 through the everyday lives of its citizens. 119 pages

Three Act Play:
Act I: Daily Life - small town of Grover's Corners, New Hampshire, and the people living there as a morning begins in the year 1901.

Act II: Love and Marriage - Three years have passed, and George and Emily prepare to wed. The day is filled with stress.

Act III: Death and Eternity - Nine years have passed. The attention is brought to the cemetery outside of town and the characters who have died since the wedding.

Here is a Link to a PDF Version:

https://www.aasd.wednet.edu/cms/lib/W...

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 9683 comments Mod
I will be reading this play in the second half of January. I have heard so much about this play, so I am glad our group is reading it.

message 3: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) | 736 comments This was required reading in my junior year in high school. Won't bore with my attitude then! I should reread, now, from an adult perspective.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

It is generally found that works read for pleasure are more enjoyable than books we had to read in school.
I remember really disliking The Midwitch Cuckoos in high school and reallly enjoyed it when I read earlier this year, decades later.

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) | 736 comments So true. Time matures us and reveals new perspectives--frequently less harsh! I had the same reaction as yours in my sophomore year while reading "Silas Marner." Lol.

message 6: by Laurene (new)

Laurene | 8 comments The last time I read Our Town was when I was a sophomore in high school. I loved it then so this was like reading an old friend. I still have my copy from high school but is all marked up for the upcoming test of the day. I would probably not have ever picked up this play again if it wasn't for this group. I joined this group to challenge myself to read novels that I would not pick up on my own. By reading the foreword by Donald Margulies, I absolutely agree with him, "when you were too young to appreciate how enriching it might be" -- I was 15 years old. Now I have had the experiences of meeting my husband for the first time and realizing he was the one, falling in love and the world revolving around us, marriage, kids -- waking them up and getting them off to school, death of parents and every day occurrences that are taken for granted.
When I finished Act III, I had to put the book down and take a deep breath. I had to fall back in my chair and hope I have not gone thru this life "blind". I believe I have cherished the little things but I am sure I have not always done so. So for me Our Town was a great reminder to step back and enjoy the everyday happenings of my life. To be mindful of each day. I might not "realize life every minute" but Thornton Wilder completely got it. I agree with Donald Margulies, "you are holding in your hands a great American play. Possibly, the great American play."

message 7: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5727 comments Mod
Laurene
I appreciate your heartfelt statement and your passion for family. I'm happy you got the chance to read it again and share your thoughts!

message 8: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have just finished reading the play and I am glad I finally did. It would be interesting to see it on the stage, since the production notes only give an idea of how it would be.
As Laurene said, the play shows us that we need to be more aware of each other every day.

message 9: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Murtha Jumping in here: Has anyone else seen Lars von Trier's film Dogville, which was deeply influenced by Our Town?

message 10: by Laurene (new)

Laurene | 8 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have just finished reading the play and I am glad I finally did. It would be interesting to see it on the stage, since the production notes only give an idea of how it would be.
As Laurene said, ..."

I would love to see Our Town on stage!