Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive YA/Children Group Read > 2019 January Jane of Lantern Hill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Dec 29, 2017 07:15AM) (new)

Lesle | 5396 comments Mod
Jane of Lantern Hill is a 1937 novel by Canadian author L. M. Montgomery. 274 pages

Jane Victoria Stuart, called Victoria by her family, lives in Toronto, Ontario, with her mother, grandmother, and aunt. Her grandmother is very strict and is jealous of anything that her daughter Robin (Jane's mother) loves. Jane does not like having to live with her grandmother and wishes she and her mother could escape, though she knows her mother will never have enough backbone to stand up to her grandmother and leave.

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice (archergal) I've got this one on my ereader, ready to go. :)

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8761 comments Mod
My copy is waiting for me at the public library. I am getting it next week.

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) | 462 comments I'm in the process of reading through all the "Anne" books and then on to Montgomery's others. Reading "Anne of Windy Poplars" right now. Reading them in order, so will eventually get to "Jane of Lantern Hill." Montgomery's descriptive writing is so thorough, you almost believe you are there! Magical...

message 5: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 7 comments Jane of Lantern Hill is a marvelous book! Jane herself is an absolute treasure and I enjoyed watching her interactions with the community at Lantern Hill. She truly grows into a confident young woman over the course of the book. The book has a lot to say about the importance of kindness in the raising of children. While I've read this before, I wouldn't mind a re-read.

message 6: by Rachana (new)

Rachana | 48 comments Sounds like a really good and meaningful story. I have it in the paperback edition and will read it for the first time. My second Classic for the 2018 :)

message 7: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Littlefoot wrote: "Jane of Lantern Hill is a marvelous book! Jane herself is an absolute treasure and I enjoyed watching her interactions with the community at Lantern Hill. She truly grows into a confident young wom..."

Yes, that one needs both kindness and that giving praise is important.

message 8: by Inese (new)

Inese Okonova | 69 comments Could not wait until January, so read it right after Christmas. A really nice book. Inspired me to tidy up my kitchen and feel good about it :)
I am reading L.M.Montgomery from time to time for several years now as these works were neither translated, nor published in Latvia (then part of USSR) during my childhood. Would have loved them so much. But this is a great read for adults as well.
I did actually feel sorry for the grandmother. A little. Because she is loving her daughter a lot. But in so wrong way. I believe this is not just an exaggerated literary caricature. There are really such persons among us. Overpossesive and, I believe, fighting their own demons.

message 9: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Inese, thank you for sharing your love for LM Montgomery!

Rosemarie has a thread open just for Members like you that are reading other titles of her books so you can discuss them.

Over possessive and overly loving parent is sometimes called a Helicopter Mom :)

message 10: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Loved this book and have always loved Jane. One of my favourite stand-alone L. M. Montgomery books, and the way Jane triumphs over everyone who used to at best just tolerate her, is both heartening and refreshing.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Jane can't seem to do anything right to please her grandmother and the rest of her mother's family. Her mother seems to be oppressed too, but in a different way. It seems that the grandmother is trying to buy her affection and at the same time keep her away from Jane.
I live in Toronto and know just what kind of houses and neighbourhood the author is talking about. Most of those houses and tall trees are still there, although some of the trees have died of old age.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Jane can't seem to do anything right to please her grandmother and the rest of her mother's family. Her mother seems to be oppressed too, but in a different way. It seems that the grandmother is tr..."

I just cannot understand how jealous the grandmother is of anyone even remotely close to Robin. But it is indeed true that sometimes in dysfunctional families, one unfortunate person will be designated as scapegoat and until she goes to PEI, Jane seems to be that person (but in some ways her mother suffers even more at times).

message 13: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Jane can't seem to do anything right to please her grandmother and the rest of her mother's family. Her mother seems to be oppressed too, but in a different way. It seems that the grandmother is tr..."

I have always loved how Montgomery can so eloquently portray time and place.

message 14: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 1360 comments I love this book. One of my Montgomery favourites. I will try to get a copy and re-read next week as I so love this one.
I am also reading my way through the Anne books this winter. Comfort food for the soul whilst waiting for spring to come :)

message 15: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Jan 06, 2018 04:41PM) (new)

Tracey, Rosemarie set-up a thread for all the Anne reads everyone is absorbing and loving.

Here is a link if you would like to discuss the others as you read them:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Im hoping someday I hit the jackpot at a thrift or book store and fine several of her books to add to my TBR pile. Ummm...shhh...Im not suppose to be buying any books right now. ☹😏

message 16: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Lesle, there are always some lonely books looking for a home.

message 17: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Thanks for the support Rosemarie!

message 18: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 765 comments Lesle, my thrift store lets you have 5 books for free. ♡

message 19: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 07, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments While I still think that the grandmother is nasty and unlikeable, Aunt Irene is many ways just as bad, especially because she hides her nastiness under artificial niceness and has a patroising attitude that just grates.

message 20: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Blueberry wrote: "Lesle, my thrift store lets you have 5 books for free. ♡"

How nice! Not at either of mine. The Hospital's all books are $1, so that is the best deal but they are only open on Thursdays :(

message 21: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have just reached the section where Jane is told that she must visit her father in Prince Edward Island and is dreading being separated from her mother.
Poor Jane's life has been lonely and oppressed so far, with very few reasons to laugh, and very little freedom.

message 22: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

So is she living with her Grandmother. Why not her Father?

message 23: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

At the beginning of the book, she thinks her father is dead. She finds out the fact from an obnoxious school mate but has no idea who he is.
The book is one of my favourites and as I read I remember why I liked it so much. Jane is a very reserved serious girl, unlike the chatty Anne and the dreamy Emily.

message 24: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Thanks for the insight. That makes more sense now.

See another reason for me to go book shopping! :)

message 25: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Jane likes to take the streetcar because she likes to look at the people as she passes them. I like riding the streetcar too.
Unfortunately, she rarely gets to ride the streetcar or even go for a walk by herself because they have a chauffeur who takes her everywhere. She would rather go by herself, but it wouldn't be "seemly".

message 26: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

She sounds adventurous! Not following protocol.

message 27: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Jane really doesn't belong in that prim Victorian house.

message 28: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Jane really doesn't belong in that prim Victorian house."

No she does not, but if she had experienced love and support there, Gay Street would not have been so intolerable.

message 29: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Jane thought that she would like her bedroom more if she were allowed to make it more personal. Her bedroom is a large room full of massive dark furniture-not cheerful at all.

message 30: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

So not a girly room, you know pink and flowery with stuffed animals and such?

message 31: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Not a bit. I really hope you get a chance to read the book, Lesle.
I am going to start making more general comments now that I have got past the beginning, so as not to spoil the plot.

message 32: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

General comments are good. I like reading them, even if I'm not reading the book anytime soon.

This makes me think I really might need another bookcase!

message 33: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I know what you mean about Aunt Irene, Manybooks. She likes to make Jane feel small.

message 34: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have just finished the book and loved it even more than the first time. Five stars!

message 35: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 14, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have just finished the book and loved it even more than the first time. Five stars!"

Yes, the book gets better with each reading, and one uncovers additional layers. I do still have to wonder though at Jane, and her parents moving to Toronto for the winter at the end (even though the job the father is taking is a very good one), as I think the nearby presence of the grandmother could (and I know I am speculating) be a potential problematic issue (much more so than Aunt Irene in PEI because while she is patronising, she is in my opinion not nearly as potentially a trap for Robin, as I do have to wonder whether she could be drawn back in to the family fold since she probably does feel a bit guilty with regard to her mother, even though she absolutely should not in any way feel guilty).

What I also find interesting with regard to the grandmother and her obsessive, even poisonous love of her daughter and that she both does not allow anyone else close to her and also, it seems absolutely despises and hates anyone and anything that Robin loves (such as Jane and when she was younger, pet dogs etc. that seemed to not survive) is that the Grandmother in many ways is depicted a bit like Mrs. Kent (Teddy's mother) in the Emily of New Moon series (with he difference that Mrs. Kent, at the end of the third novel, does apologise to Emily for having driven Teddy away from her and also explains to Emily the reasons why).

message 36: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 1360 comments Just finished reading this great little book for the second time, and yes, I liked it even more. What I loved about it was the joy and wonder Jane felt over PEI and how in reading the story, I was able to feel and share in that wonder. This book should be used by the PEI tourist board as it makes one want to visit even more than the Anne books.

message 37: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I also like the way Jane found her confidence and self-worth, which transferred itself to Toronto. The grandmother was a pathetic figure, in a way, who did not know the meaning of love.

message 38: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I also like the way Jane found her confidence and self-worth, which transferred itself to Toronto. The grandmother was a pathetic figure, in a way, who did not know the meaning of love."

She was pathetic, but the amount of power she was able to for most of the novel wield especially towards her daughter (and even towards Jane until Jane goes to PEI) makes her more than pathetic but rather dangerous.

message 39: by Rachana (new)

Rachana | 48 comments Having just started reading Jane of Lantern Hill, at present into first ten pages.

It will take some time to mentally disengage myself from the first read of January 2018 as The Tenent of Wildfell Hall was a very powerful and intense story but definitely I am going to love the second read too under the category Y/A classic.

Nice reading into 2018 everyone:)

message 40: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thank you, Rachana. Once Jane moves to Prince Edward Island the book becomes much more cheerful. I loved the book. I hope you enjoy it.

message 41: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thank you for leading our discussion of Jane of Lantern Hill, Manybooks, and most especially for choosing such a great book. I LOVED IT!

message 42: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Thank you for leading our discussion of Jane of Lantern Hill, Manybooks, and most especially for choosing such a great book. I LOVED IT!"

So did I, It is likely one of my favourite stand alone L.M. Montgomery novels.

message 43: by Laurene (new)

Laurene | 6 comments Thank you for having this novel as one of the January 2018 selection. Absolutely loved it! Enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Really wanted the grandmother to change her behavior towards Jane, Robin, Andrew and Gertrude towards the end of the novel. Also loved Snowball for running away, in my mind, he found a loving home. I had a white Persian for 18 years, he was rude to strangers but very loving with my family.

message 44: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 30, 2018 01:56PM) (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Laurene wrote: "Thank you for having this novel as one of the January 2018 selection. Absolutely loved it! Enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Really wanted the grandmother to change her behavior towards Jane, R..."

Yes, I also would have loved to see the grandmother change but I sort of knew she would not (the sad part is that if Jane had died of that horrible pneumonia, the grandmother would have probably been glad and then tried to blame Andrew).

message 45: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Manybooks, some wonderful feedback on this LMM book, I did not read it but followed along. I have as of yet to purchase any additional books, just have Anne of Green Gables and truly enjoyed.

Still leaving the thread here for a while, since Members are still sharing.

Thank you for hosting! 😊

message 46: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Lesle wrote: "Manybooks, some wonderful feedback on this LMM book, I did not read it but followed along. I have as of yet to purchase any additional books, just have Anne of Green Gables and truly enjoyed.

Stil..."

You should really consider more L.M. Montgomery, but then again, I am biased. Try the Emily of New Moon series as well.

message 47: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

The Emily series seems to be a favorite. I definitely need to start looking for them!

message 48: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 472 comments Lesle wrote: "The Emily series seems to be a favorite. I definitely need to start looking for them!"

I like Emily because she is a bit more like myself and not quite as talkative as Anne. The series is definitely a bit more mature and less light hearted.

message 49: by Laurene (new)

Laurene | 6 comments Manybooks wrote: "Laurene wrote: "Thank you for having this novel as one of the January 2018 selection. Absolutely loved it! Enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Really wanted the grandmother to change her behavior..."

Completely agree -- if Jane died -- Andrew would have been blamed -- the grandmother would have had Robin all to herself.

message 50: by Lauri (new)

Lauri | 23 comments Another book I wish I had read as a child. I wish I had Jane's love of cooking and cleaning house. I enjoyed how she could put a positive spin on just about anything.