What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Vita Nostra (Vita Nostra, #1)
This topic is about Vita Nostra
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Vague remembered urban fantasy book, Magic, school; like Harry Potter but more adult. MC is girl, she is an exclamation mark. Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D (new)

D G | 5 comments It's been like 10 years (maybe shorter) since I read it and I can remember only few things about it, so I'd greatly appreciate any help. Also as I have to expose some plot points, there will be spoilers here.

Book seemed at time as Harry Potter clone, cause it was about magic and school. But then again, it was way more adult, and magic was represented by this set of words, grammar, or interpunction, can't really remember better. What I do remember, when the main hero - teenage girl - was accepted to this school, she learned that she was an exclamation mark. They found out later she was a password. Might sound stupid, but with context it was a pretty big reveal.
I think books action was either placed in Russia, or author was Russian (or that's just my imagination). And one more thing - she had this Edge of Tomorrow, or Doctor Strange's final battle with Dormammu moment, when she relived one day over and over again just to learn some stuff that she couldn't otherwise.

I think that's all, if I'll remember any more details, I'll share it here.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments That sounds intriguing. Was this a kids' book or an adult one? Do you recall at the time you read it if it was a new book or an older one? If it was by an established author?

message 3: by D (last edited Dec 31, 2017 12:43PM) (new)

D G | 5 comments I recall it as an adult, grown up title, but then again I was like 14 at that time, so a lot of things did look like that. And sorry, no other clue about the author.
I tried going into library that had it, but they can't recall a thing about it as well, so I guess neither book or author were that popular.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33349 comments Mod
D, are there fantastical creatures or only witches/wizards?

message 5: by D (new)

D G | 5 comments I don't recall any and people were not even called witches/wizards (they might have been tho in original, I read it only in my crappy language).
But I do remember that hero, the girl, disappears like from physical world during final exam and there is like a description of her transforming into something else, looking at her family apartment.
What else... I remember she was like struggling with a choice of school, because her mom (I think she only had like one parent present) wanted her to go learn somewhere else. Also in this school they learned like a specialization on second or third year, but those were noone near in similarity to normal professions.
There was also a love interest, but he served as more of a minor plot device and I'm pretty sure they ended up separately.
Sorry for such a vague descriptions, I really can't recall any specifics. Big thanks for all of you that took interest on this subject.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33349 comments Mod
Can you remember other examples of how students were classified/grouped? (e.g., exclamation mark/point, password)

Can you tell us more about the heroine - her powers/skills/interests, family/friends, personality, etc.? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

Is it called a school or academy?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
Anisha_book_lover wrote: "Still looking, D?"

If you're bumping others' old requests, please limit these bumps to just a few per day. Otherwise we have too many new comments every day in the group. Of course, with your own requests, you can feel free to bump more than a few per day, as long as you stick to the 30-day bumping rule.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 9 comments I truly hope it is Tanya Grotter :)

message 9: by D (new)

D G | 5 comments Man, haven't been in here for a long time.
Anyway, to the point. Yes, still didn't find it. And it's not Tanya Grotter. I remember character being in contact with her mother or father, not sure, it was a parental figure.

message 10: by Dave (last edited Jul 27, 2020 11:21AM) (new)

Dave Wegner | 10 comments Vita Nostra: A Novel?
by Sergey and Marina Dyachenko

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vita_No...

Satisfies the Russian clue and the magic school clue.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16164 comments Vita Nostra for the Goodreads link.

message 12: by D (new)

D G | 5 comments Yep, that's it! Thank you very much, I had no idea how to find it. I even went to local library and asked for history of my reads, but nothing rang any of the bells.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vita Nostra (other topics)