YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Cracked Up to Be
This topic is about Cracked Up to Be
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers — Starts July 23, 2014

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mei (last edited Jul 17, 2014 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments When "Perfect" Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter's High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher's pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?

Parker doesn't want to talk about it. She'd just like to be left alone, to disappear, to be ignored. But her parents have placed her on suicide watch and her conselors are demanding the truth. Worse, there's a nice guy falling in love with her and he's making her feel things again when she'd really rather not be feeling anything at all.

Nobody would have guessed she'd turn out like this. But nobody knows the truth.

Something horrible has happened, and it just might be her fault.

Reading this with Martha. Join us!! :-)

Martha | 679 comments Ooo was just gonna make a thread for this! You beat me to it haha! Yeeey excited :D

Martha | 679 comments 16% - (view spoiler)

Martha | 679 comments 39% - This is quite a quick read! (view spoiler) I'm not sure how to feel about Jake at the moment. I want to know more about him. He doesn't seem to have much personality.

message 5: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Don't think I ditched you because I would NEVER! Hahaha. Yep, it's just 214 pages. :)

Starting, sorry I'm late!

Martha | 679 comments Haha no worries! :D I'm gonna read more tonight.

message 7: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments 3% Okay, this may sound dumb or innocent, but what is a G-spot?

And what is Chris looking for, exactly?

24% Parker is such a btch, and although I know she is like that, I liked how the author portrayed her. It felt natural to me. I liked her narration and it's noticeable how she gets out of everything, how she makes people uncomfortable and the way she speaks is blunt and straightforward. Haha

I think there's a twist in here, I'm just not sure what. I think it involves Chris and Parker, something that happened in the past. There must be a reason why Parker's the way she is now, and I think it's not just because it involved popularity.

message 8: by Mei (last edited Jul 25, 2014 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments 44% (view spoiler)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments I'm going to start this book soon!

Lol Mei that is an awkward question to answer!
(view spoiler)

Martha | 679 comments Haha I'm glad you answered that question first, Noella.
I'm at 57% -
How useless is her councilor?? Parker is obviously suffering from anxiety... Shouldn't someone be trying to help her? Did it really take JAKE to print off some tips on breathing exercises?
And Mei (view spoiler) I like how we find out piece by piece of this story... It's keeping me intrigued.
Still not really into Jake.

Martha | 679 comments 78% - (view spoiler)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 28% Parker's bitchy but I like her!
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Martha wrote: "39% - This is quite a quick read! [spoilers removed] I'm not sure how to feel about Jake at the moment. I want to know more about him. He doesn't seem to have much personality."

I agree w/ you about Jake. He doesn't have much depth. His character isn't three-dimensional! (view spoiler)

message 14: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Noella wrote: "I'm going to start this book soon!

Lol Mei that is an awkward question to answer!
[spoilers removed]"

Oh dear! Sorry if I made you uncomfortable! I really don't know. People here are not particularly upfront with that kind of stuff. Haha

message 15: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Martha wrote: "Haha I'm glad you answered that question first, Noella.
I'm at 57% -
How useless is her councilor?? Parker is obviously suffering from anxiety... Shouldn't someone be trying to help her? Did it rea..."

It's kind of a surprise, to be perfectly honest, that this book is keeping us intrigued. I didn't expect it to be this kind. I thought it'd just be a plain contemporary. I like how it is piece by piece, too! (view spoiler)

Martha | 679 comments I'm intrigued to find out more about Jessie! I feel like I don't know that much about her but I've almost finished the book...

Yeah I thought this would be just a average contemporary too, but I like the mystery element!

message 17: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments 59% (view spoiler)

62% It's funny how the guidance counselor and the principal place bets on Parker's academic behavior. Haha!

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 59%
@Mei
(view spoiler)

60%
(view spoiler)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 70%
Lol @ (view spoiler)

Martha | 679 comments @Mei
Haha I liked the bets too!

@Noella
(view spoiler)
Parker is a very confusing character! I feel like Jake: I like her, even though I'm not sure why. :P I think she needs serious help, but I'm confused as to why no one is really trying to help her...

81% - (view spoiler)

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments Yeah the counsellors are kind of clueless. Even Jake is more in the loop than they are. Parker's so unpredictable!

Martha | 679 comments 90% - (view spoiler)

message 23: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I think I'm getting the hang of this!

76% (view spoiler)

message 24: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Martha wrote: "78% - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Mei (last edited Jul 25, 2014 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Noella wrote: "59%
@Mei
Right now my theory is that Jessie passed away or something and it was kind of Parker's fault... ?

60%
[spoilers removed]"

I think she likes that someone is there for her even if she doesn't entirely like like him?

message 26: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Noella wrote: "70%
Lol @ [spoilers removed]"

Haha that part, Parker already predicted! Lol

message 27: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Lol, you all figured out what I figured out before I even saw your spoilers or posted. XD Still, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Martha | 679 comments Just finished this! I'm really not sure what to rate it!

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments 91%
(view spoiler)

Martha | 679 comments Noella wrote: "91%
[spoilers removed]"

Hahaha! Did you not? That's funny!

Noella (kookiemonstar) | 3723 comments I feel so idiotic LOL!

Ending thoughts
(view spoiler)

message 32: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I'm finished, too. Not sure what to rate!

Martha | 679 comments Yeah I liked the ending... (view spoiler)

message 34: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I also liked how it was open and it left us thinking what would have happened at Jake's mom's house or their college lives or how it went with Parker's recovery.

Martha | 679 comments Yeah :)

message 36: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I still didn't feel for Jake. I liked Chris better. Not that there was a love triangle...

Martha | 679 comments Yeah I never really formed an attachment to Jake. I liked Chris by the end :) I even liked Becky!