Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Any fellow authors here released a book of short stories?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cadence (new)

Cadence Cavanaugh (cadencecavanaugh) | 37 comments I have a few other things in the works, but often just portions, although as a sort of 'poll' I thought about releasing a compilation to see what story garnishes the most interest.

A question I have regarding that is how do you categorize that on Amazon if they are different genres? Do they have a short story category?

Also, anyone have a favorite short story? Mine is 'On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning' - Haruki Murakami

message 2: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 88 comments I have a book of short stories out, some of them (but by no means all) featuring the main character in my (so far) ten volume crime series. Not all the stories are even crime or mystery, but I did use mystery as a key word, short stories as another one, Scottish and historical as a couple of the others, as they typified a good proportion of the stories. I think I maybe used ghost story as another one as there were a few. I haven't done a poll though I know a few people have commented on one of them in particular - but it's not something I'll particularly follow up. I'm now collecting more shorts for a second volume - I write them for my mailing list people and then I'll put them together when I have enough to make it worthwhile. Shorts are not my main skill, I have to say, so I don't do much to promote the collection, but I have steady low sales (around 3-4 a month).

A favourite? O.Henry's one about the man being hanged at a bridge, but I can't remember what it's called!

message 3: by Elin (new)

Elin Pettersson | 13 comments I have a flash fiction compilation under "Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Anthologies & Short Stories" they probably have something similar for other categories. :)

message 4: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Morris (berniem) | 123 comments I have just started a giveaway (not approved yet) for Mysteria.
My own book of shorts is Kids We Were by Bernie Morris

message 5: by Leon (last edited Dec 11, 2019 12:21PM) (new)

Leon Stevens (leon_stevens) | 62 comments My book has what I call "Short, Short Stories". Most are a paragraph in length an act more like a caption to an illustration that I've done. I am working on a series of science fiction stories that will be longer, but not by much (a page or two).

Short stories are a challenge, but a joy to read.

Leon
LinesbyLeon

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2164 comments Amazon does have a few short story categories and you could always use anthology categories too.

message 7: by D.F. (new)

D.F. Hart | 14 comments After my dad died in July, we came across a collection of short stories he'd written back around 1994 sometime. I was so pleased to have found them; we'd thought they'd been lost a long time ago. To honor him, I published them in his name, and listed them as an anthology under 'category'.

message 8: by Kelanie (new)

Kelanie Black | 8 comments Yep. An erotic collection

message 9: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) | 143 comments I released 2 short story books a couple of years ago. The Eleventh Hour was easy because it was all horror stories, so I catagorized it as such. Lost and Found, is more general, and I had a harder time with categories for that. I wound out categorizing it as "Contemporary Women" and "Literary," because all the protagonists were women, and it didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie N.  | 5 comments Yes, please see below.

Genre: Children’s Book
Title: The New Bike
Series: The Wise and Merciful

A wonderful read for and child in your life. It is a traditional book that can be enjoyed by children from young to old... it is beautifully illustrated to help the younger children and accompany all others through the story.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie N.  | 5 comments Continued form above post

Link to
The New Bike
By: Jessie Kinder

https://www.amazon.com/New-Bike-Wise-...