The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Woman in Cabin 10
This topic is about The Woman in Cabin 10
Group Read Discussions > January 2018 Group Read: The Woman in Cabin 10, by Ruth Ware

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8618 comments Mod
Feel free to share your thoughts with Bonnie and others about this book, whatever they may be. Have fun!!

Bonnie my new tablet is glitching but my pre reading question is who has been on a cruise? Did you love it, hate It? Was anything scary?

message 3: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie (connier) | 37 comments I have been on a cruise and it was during Christmas Break and I would never go at that time again. I thought it was going to be relaxing and it was very noisy and kids were running around and I had a lot of stress from it. Nothing scary on the ship though. I would rather fly somewhere and do it that way. Because I can relax by a pool or on the beach and not have the noise and running and screaming so close and in my face.

G.J. (buch-wurm) | 14 comments I have been on a few cruises to various destinations, I have never had any scary situations thankfully, though we did once have quite choppy seas and also an outbreak of norovirus. However this book is not set on a large cruise ship, so that kind of thing is irrelevant.

Bonnie I have been once and loved it. Very few kids. It was Italian I think- we cruised around Venice, Italy, Greece, Croatia. We had to pay more to have a balcony as I would not be comfortable if I couldn't have outside air. It was a large ship too. I am sure smaller ones feel less claustrophobic but I bet choppier. I did find walking the halls to our cabin kind of uncomfortable but loved the big open decks.

Bonnie Since this is a mystery/thriller I am not sure how and when to post reading guide questions. I will try and find/make up some that won't spoil anything.

Bonnie Have any of you read In a Dark, Dark Wood by this author?

message 8: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie (connier) | 37 comments Bonnie wrote: "Have any of you read In a Dark, Dark Wood by this author?"

I did read this one and thought it was good even though I didn't really care for the characters.

message 9: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - added it

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Bonnie wrote: "Have any of you read In a Dark, Dark Wood by this author?"

I read it. Not perfect by any means but I still enjoyed.

Bonnie Connie wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Have any of you read In a Dark, Dark Wood by this author?"

I did read this one and thought it was good even though I didn't really care for the characters."

Having read both now Connie, I think her characters are pretty unlikable or just odd. Great stories, but hard to really care about what happens to them.

Bonnie Bill wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Have any of you read In a Dark, Dark Wood by this author?"

I read it. Not perfect by any means but I still enjoyed."

I preferred it to this one to be honest Bill. Some of the same good (story, originality) and bad (characters you hate, odd side stories) things going on.

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8125 comments I liked the descriptions of the opulent vessel; the gourmet meals; the well-appointed cabins; the passenger activities; the relaxing hot tub; etc. Sounds like a fun cruise if you don't get thrown overboard. The depictions of the various crew members and passengers - mogul, drunk, lecher, cancer patient, tart, and so on - also add interest to the book.

I didn't guess the perpetrator until Lo did, and the book held my interest throughout. And I liked the author's use of press releases and online comments to heighten the suspense.

All in all a good mystery.

Melissa (melissal88) | 21 comments I was a little worried when I first started this book that this was going to be another "Girl on the Train" wanna-be but it turned out much much better. I considered it one of my top 10 reads of 2016. I like that I didn't figure it out until the same time as Lo. Lo grew on me as a character (which Rachel from GOTT never did). I also liked the press releases, etc. that the author used. Good book!

Bonnie Barbara wrote: "I liked the descriptions of the opulent vessel; the gourmet meals; the well-appointed cabins; the passenger activities; the relaxing hot tub; etc. Sounds like a fun cruise if you don't get thrown o..."

The ship sounded pretty awesome to me, so I didn't quite get her weirdness about it. And her descriptions of the other people just made me dislike her more than I already did.

Bonnie Melissa wrote: "I was a little worried when I first started this book that this was going to be another "Girl on the Train" wanna-be but it turned out much much better. I considered it one of my top 10 reads of 20..."

Lo didn't really grow on me. I never really understood her or expected her to grow. She did get a little smarter and braver.

message 16: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber (redreadsbooks) | 2 comments Bonnie wrote: "my new tablet is glitching but my pre reading question is who has been on a cruise? Did you love it, hate It? Was anything scary?"

I haven’t been on a cruise yet! I’ve always wanted to try them, but I get severe motion sickness. But I decided for 2018, it was time to finally take a short one and see how it goes! We leave for Cuba in May :)

message 17: by Tad (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments The biggest problem for me was the character of Lo. I never really warmed to her or found her actions believable. Ultimately it made the book only an "ok" read for me rather than a good or a great one.

message 18: by T (new) - rated it 2 stars

T (twoo) | 18420 comments If I might add my two cents....I have read all 3 of Ruth Ware's books. I liked the first one and looked forward to this one but was somewhat disappointed, just didn't grab me like the first one did. Was it the cruise/travel industry? The characters? Not really sure, just didn't get caught up in it like the first one.

I read the third one and enjoyed that as well, probably on a par with the first one.

Girl on the Train? Didn't like it. One of those popular with the masses but not to my liking. Almost didn't finish it.

Melissa (melissal88) | 21 comments T, I agree. I'm one of the few who didn't like Girl on the Train. When I started this one I was afraid it would be like that. Thankfully, fo me it was much better.

message 20: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie (connier) | 37 comments Bonnie wrote: "Connie wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Have any of you read In a Dark, Dark Wood by this author?"

I did read this one and thought it was good even though I didn't really care for the characters."

Having r..."

I don't have this book yet, but I did order it, so I will read it. It is okay for me not to like a character if the books is good. I don't like everyone in life either, but I do tolerate them.

Bonnie Amber wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "my new tablet is glitching but my pre reading question is who has been on a cruise? Did you love it, hate It? Was anything scary?"

I haven’t been on a cruise yet! I’ve always wanted..."

We went as part of a trip to Europe for my daughter's college graduation. I was surprised how much I like it. It and the train from Venice to Scotland were our favorites. I hope you love it. I did take Dramamine the first day out, but didn't need it- or didn't notice later if I did anyway.

Bonnie Tad wrote: "The biggest problem for me was the character of Lo. I never really warmed to her or found her actions believable. Ultimately it made the book only an "ok" read for me rather than a good or a great ..."

I agree. I don't always have to love characters to like books, but I do to love them.

Bonnie T wrote: "If I might add my two cents....I have read all 3 of Ruth Ware's books. I liked the first one and looked forward to this one but was somewhat disappointed, just didn't grab me like the first one did..."

I will probably read the third too and hope I like someone in it. I did give 5 stars to In a Dark Dark Woods, but more for the side characters and storyline.

Summer (paradisecity) | 47 comments Melissa wrote: "T, I agree. I'm one of the few who didn't like Girl on the Train. When I started this one I was afraid it would be like that. Thankfully, fo me it was much better."

Same. This trend toward unlikable female protagonists brings some diversity to the table but for me, it makes those books a bit of a slog. I didn’t really like Lo and I didn’t understand why Jude put up with her nonsense. The mystery on this was was interesting and I didn’t guess the whodunit until Lo figured it out, but that also seemed to leave some pretty big plot holes. Overall I thought the book was fine, but I won’t go out of my way to read this author again.

message 25: by T (new) - rated it 2 stars

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Summer wrote: "Melissa wrote: "T, I agree. I'm one of the few who didn't like Girl on the Train. When I started this one I was afraid it would be like that. Thankfully, fo me it was much better."

Same. This tren..."

I think the women in the 3rd book are stronger than Lo in the 2nd book....

Having said that, I see the pattern in 3 books, with the troubled female focus and don't think I can keep reading these if things don't get shaken up to break out of this mold....

Bonnie question one- from author's page: Hope people can answer without spoilers, mysteries are tricky.

What’s the effect of having Lo’s e-mails and various news reports interspersed throughout Lo’s narration? In what ways do they help you better understand what’s happening aboard the Aurora?

Bonnie Question 2 (maybe allude to the foreshadowing part:

When Lo first enters the ship, she says, “I had a sudden disorienting image of the Aurora as a ship imprisoned in a bottle—tiny, perfect, isolated, and unreal” (p. 37). In what ways does this statement foreshadow the events that take place on the ship?

Bonnie From about midway maybe :

Lo questions Alexander about eating fugu during dinner aboard the Aurora, and he tells her that the fact it is poisonous is “what makes the experience” (p. 74). What does Alexander mean by his statement?

Bonnie After Lo’s flat is burglarized, she calls Velocity’s assistant features editor, Jenn, and tells her about it. Lo says, “I told her what happened, making it sound funnier and more farcical than it really had been” (p. 13). Why do you think Lo underplays the break-in? How might this make her feel more in control? Have you ever underplayed an event of significance in your life?

Bonnie Lo and Judah:

When Lo panics on one of her first nights aboard the Aurora, she says, “I imagined burying my face in Judah’s shoulder and for a second I nearly burst into tears, but I clenched my teeth and swallowed them back down. Judah was not the answer to all this” (p. 49). Why is Lo so resistant to accepting help from Judah? Do you think that she’s right to be reticent? Describe their relationship. Do Lo and Judah support each other?

Bonnie Describe Lo’s relationship with Ben. She tells him “[e]verything I hadn’t told Jude. What it had been like . . . that I was vulnerable in a way I’d never thought I was before that night” (p. 82). Why does Lo share all this information with Ben rather than Jude? Did you think that Ben had Lo’s best interests at heart? Why or why not? Were you surprised to learn of their history?

Summer (paradisecity) | 47 comments Bonnie wrote: "What’s the effect of having Lo’s e-mails and various news reports interspersed throughout Lo’s nar..."

I thought this could've been powerful, but it came off more like lazy writing. Breaking the novel up into sections seemed like a way to deal with the author's difficulty with transitions or moving the story forward. And I think generally the new stories were pretty transparently (view spoiler), which maybe they were intended to be.

Bonnie Summer wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "What’s the effect of having Lo’s e-mails and various news reports interspersed throughout Lo’s nar..."

I thought this could've been powerful, but it came off more like lazy writing...."

I agree. I usually like that kind of thing- news stories or letters etc. just adding another POV, but I didn't think it helped this story.

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments Bonnie wrote: "question one- from author's page: Hope people can answer without spoilers, mysteries are tricky.

What’s the effect of having Lo’s e-mails and various news reports interspersed throughout Lo’s nar..."

I listened to the audio book so the chat forum part came out of left field and for a minute I was totally confused. I do think it was interesting because people do talk about things that happen in the news like that. I know I do. I think it made things more interesting that some of the news/info wasn´t exactly right. Some was speculation and gave the reader more to think about.

(That was hard. I deleted a lot)

message 35: by Donna (last edited Jan 05, 2018 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments Bonnie wrote: "Question 2 (maybe allude to the foreshadowing part:

When Lo first enters the ship, she says, “I had a sudden disorienting image of the Aurora as a ship imprisoned in a bottle—tiny, perfect, isolat..."

The lack of communication with the outside world isolated the ship and everyone on it. However, in real like everyone would have been throwing a fit and not just one person.

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments Bonnie wrote: "From about midway maybe :

Lo questions Alexander about eating fugu during dinner aboard the Aurora, and he tells her that the fact it is poisonous is “what makes the experience” (p. 74). What do..."

It means he is totally insane. I guess he gets off on the riskiness of it.

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments Bonnie wrote: "After Lo’s flat is burglarized, she calls Velocity’s assistant features editor, Jenn, and tells her about it. Lo says, “I told her what happened, making it sound funnier and more farcical than it r..."

She didn´t want them to think she couldn´t handle herself. She doubts herself and and her own ability to handle difficult situations on her own. People overreact so she tried to make it seem like it was no big deal and she had things under control. If this person was overly worried about her they may have told other people in the company which could have resulted in her being taken off the job.

When I was about 17 I started working at a restaurant. I had a very strict father who tried to keep me shielded from everything. I wanted to escape that house and experience more. I didn´t have a driver´s license or a car or any other way to get to work but my bike. It was 7 miles one way. I finally talked my dad into letting me do it because I was fit enough. I told him I knew where to ride to be safe and convinced him. When a man in a truck stopped and tried to pull me into his truck I was really scared but didn´t want to tell my dad about it. I knew he would want me to quit the job. I wasn´t going to say anything but a friend of my dad saw the man pull up next to me as he went by and mentioned it to my dad. I just told my dad he asked to give me a ride and I just said no and made a joke about the guy being dumb. I said I obviously wanted the exercise and didn´t need a ride. I didn´t want someone to think I couldn´t handle myself because I did but trying to explain it properly without my dad overreacting would have been impossible. Looking back I realized I should have reported it to the police. Still, I learned from the situation.

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments Bonnie wrote: "Describe Lo’s relationship with Ben. She tells him “[e]verything I hadn’t told Jude. What it had been like . . . that I was vulnerable in a way I’d never thought I was before that night” (p. 82). W..."

This part really bothered me. I didn´t like the way she treated Judah. He obviously cared about her and she seemed heartless. I can only guess that she was not ready to let go of her independence yet. I think maybe this is also about control. She confided in Ben because he had no hold on her. It was easier for her to disregard his concerns than Judah because, although it is hard to tell, she actually cared about him.

Bonnie Donna wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "question one- from author's page: Hope people can answer without spoilers, mysteries are tricky.

What’s the effect of having Lo’s e-mails and various news reports interspersed thro..."

It might have been clearer if the side stories were all from one other characters POV.

Bonnie Donna wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "From about midway maybe :

Lo questions Alexander about eating fugu during dinner aboard the Aurora, and he tells her that the fact it is poisonous is “what makes the experience” (..."

I am even afraid of eating wild gathered mushrooms.

message 41: by Bonnie (last edited Jan 06, 2018 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bonnie Donna wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "After Lo’s flat is burglarized, she calls Velocity’s assistant features editor, Jenn, and tells her about it. Lo says, “I told her what happened, making it sound funnier and more far..."

life is so dangerous for women/girls alone. My dad didn't want me working either although my brothers did. I babysat. I worked an actual job in college.

Bonnie Donna wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Describe Lo’s relationship with Ben. She tells him “[e]verything I hadn’t told Jude. What it had been like . . . that I was vulnerable in a way I’d never thought I was before that ni..."

She was a horrible girlfriend IMO. I felt he could and should have done better all along.

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments I had a dream last night that I ran into a couple of the mean girls from my high school and every time I opened my mouth I sounded like Lo Blacklock, unable to speak without stammering. It was actually a nightmare.

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments Bonnie wrote: "It might have been clearer if the side stories were all from one other characters POV. "

I agree but the author was trying to make the point that they were isolated from the public without internet or cell phone reception so the way she did it made a bit of sense. I was just thrown off by the weird screen names for the chat room and the way that part was narrated. It jumped right from the story to that without any explanation so it was weird. I do think having some other character´s POV would have been beneficial to the story. Maybe conversation between them about the situation with Lo but I guess they didn´t know about it. I have been trying to remember other books I´ve read that used this technique better but can´t think of one right now. I know I´ve read a few though and they were much better.

Donna (donnawannaread) | 19 comments Did anyone else have ¨Hey Jude¨ stuck in their head while reading the parts with Jude aka Judah?

Summer (paradisecity) | 47 comments Bonnie wrote: “She was a horrible girlfriend IMO. I felt he could and should have done better all along..."

Agreed. Based on what we saw of Lo, Jude’s devotion to her and their relationship didn’t make much sense at all.

Bonnie Well, I'm done and the book returned, so probably won't be posting more questions. I will still come check any ongoing discussions though and would love to hear more opinions and thoughts.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Bonnie wrote: "Have any of you read In a Dark, Dark Wood by this author?"

Yes I read In a Dark Dark Wood a while back. I thought it was more atmospheric than this one. The thing I remember best is the creepy feeling of house in the woods, knowing that someone outside could watch you, but you can't see them. It brought back chilly memories of babysitting in a house in the woods with few curtains.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Tad wrote: "The biggest problem for me was the character of Lo. I never really warmed to her or found her actions believable. Ultimately it made the book only an "ok" read for me rather than a good or a great ..."

I agree. At first I attributed her rudeness to the upset from the break-in, but it was hard to relate to her.

message 50: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 10, 2018 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Donna wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "question one- from author's page: Hope people can answer without spoilers, mysteries are tricky.

What’s the effect of having Lo’s e-mails and various news reports interspersed thro..."

Donna, I had the same confusion, listening to the audio tape in the car. When I got home I had to open the book to re-read that whole section. I do think it added to the suspense of the story, knowing that she was considered missing all that time she was running around the woods, etc.

« previous 1