YoungAdultLovers🌸 discussion

Previous Reads > Vendetta Discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylainbookland) | 136 comments Mod
Please read this book by January 31st and leave a review in the comments of this chat.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE BOOK ONLINE- http://www.freevampirenovels.com/roma...

message 2: by Kayla (new)

This story follows Persephone, a normal girl that gets caught up in some drama with an Italian Mafia family.
This follows her as she deals with her attraction to Nicoli, the youngest brother as this causes a stir in the family.
This book is like Romeo and Juliet meets The godfather.

CHARACTERS-
Sophie is such a cool character and she stands up for what she believes in and that's pretty awesome cause some female protagonists are very timid and shy in contemporary novels.

Nicoli is my least favrouite character but not necessarily in this particular book more in Inferno or Mafiosa. He still kinda annoyed me but not so much. He just seemed very uninterested in Sophie's wellbeing and happiness.

Luca is my favrouite character and he is just so funny to read about and he's so snarky and sarcastic and that's what makes him so entertaining to watch especially when he's with Sophie and that's when the kinda Hate flirting goes on. Sophie and Luca had a lot of chemistry and I don't see why everyone leans more for Nic in this book cause NO.

Millie is such a good friend to Sophie and it's great to see a healthy friendship in a YA book.

ROMANCE-
As I said I shipped Luca and Sophie in this book more towards the end where stuff happened.
I just think Nic is very self centred and that's why maybe I didn't like his relationship with Sophie at the start.
If you have read Mafiosa then you will feel differently like me but....

PLOT-
This plot was such an interesting concept and Catherine Doyle did a great job of think about an interesting story.

WRITING-
I really appreciate the writing because it's so funny and snarky and you could just laugh out loud by what the characters are thinking and saying.
The writing is also very dark when it comes to the scenes where it's more focused on the Mob side of thing and we have a contrast of both that work perfectly.

ENDING-
The ending of this book isn't a cliffhanger but it makes you want to pick it up as soon as possible.

message 3: by Kayla (new)

For those who have read Vendetta here is a question...

Nicoli Or Luca?

message 4: by Annie Al Saher (new)

Annie Al Saher | 2 comments Kayla wrote: "For those who have read Vendetta here is a question...

Nicoli Or Luca?"

Luca, I don't like the Nicoli character at all..:(

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Annie Al Saher wrote: "Kayla wrote: "For those who have read Vendetta here is a question...

Nicoli Or Luca?"
Luca, I don't like the Nicoli character at all..:("

Yeah same, Luca was charming and smart and would protect Sophie at all costs and then Nic was like "Here's a gun"😂

message 6: by Annie Al Saher (new)

Annie Al Saher | 2 comments Kayla wrote: "Annie Al Saher wrote: "Kayla wrote: "For those who have read Vendetta here is a question...

Nicoli Or Luca?"

Yeah same, Luca wa..."

Yeah exactly, plus I really enjoyed how Luca and Sophie made progress in their relationship. And Luca was like : Hey U, You'll love me 'cause I'm super amazing and witty mafiosa guy :D
And Nico was like: Ha, I'm the rough one, so ... Yeah, nothing else.

message 7: by C. (new)

C. (mortalgirl) | 1 comments I didn't mind Nic giving Sophie a gun because I think she did need to learn how to protect herself and not just rely on the boys of the mafia for protection, but I do agree that Luca and their relationship was so much better and engaging for so many reasons. And although I think Sophie having a gun was a good idea, it was horrible timing and did not help her cope with her grief or give her any emotions support...thanks Nic.

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Cassandra wrote: "I didn't mind Nic giving Sophie a gun because I think she did need to learn how to protect herself and not just rely on the boys of the mafia for protection, but I do agree that Luca and their rela..."

Yeah I agree Nic wanted to give her some power but I just felt it in the wrong way.
As Luca said "I won't tell you how many marinos you could kill"
I just really didn't like Nic at all

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Annie Al Saher wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Annie Al Saher wrote: "Kayla wrote: "For those who have read Vendetta here is a question...

Nicoli Or Luca?"

Yeah..."

I didn't even like Nicoli at the start, I was reading and I was like I kinda like Luca better then when it started to get to the end I was like oh we are now taking it in that direction

message 10: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (sabrinareviews) I never liked Nic, for some reason I just couldn’t stand him, since the first book.
Luca I adore and love since the star. I always end up liking the bad boy/ asshole character that has a softer side.!

message 11: by Kayla (new)

Sabrina Reviews wrote: "I never liked Nic, for some reason I just couldn’t stand him, since the first book.
Luca I adore and love since the star. I always end up liking the bad boy/ asshole character that has a softer side.!"

Don't we all love a guy like that ;)

message 12: by Kayla (new)

If you have read the other two books in the series read the other short POV's

INFERNO-https://www.wattpad.com/story/9862148...

MAFIOSA-https://www.wattpad.com/story/9862243...

Aditi (Dreamy Reads) (dreamyreads) | 5 comments Kayla wrote: "For those who have read Vendetta here is a question...

Nicoli Or Luca?"

Luca! Don't even have to think about it. Love Luca <3

Aditi (Dreamy Reads) (dreamyreads) | 5 comments A long dull summer?
5 Mysterious boys?
Insta-Love?
These were my thoughts before picking up this book. See, I am not a fan of novels with romance. I find them boring and a bit tropey. However this book was the complete opposite.
The characters were well developed. They were sometimes lame or tropey like when Sophie finds herself attracted towards a “mysterious/brooding looking” man. But what I liked about the characters was that they were a lot sensible. I liked how Sophie thought before she did something, or how she did not let her emotions take the best of her.
I really liked Catherine’s way of writing. It was simple and sweet. There were so many lines from this book which just hit my heart. Another element I liked about this book was how she portrayed Sophie as someone who was sassy even if someone was about to kill her. I loved the parts where we got a sneak-peek of her mind, what she was thinking at that time.
Along with that, this was the first book I ever read which had something to do with Mafia. I was unaware about this before I started reading the book. I really liked this element of the book. It added more thrill and mystery to the book.
My only problem with this book was how certain characters were side lined. Like Millie, Sophie’s best friend, could have been given a much better part than just a sidekick friend. And if I talk about the five brothers, I feel that whenever a story involve brothers, at least one or two of them gets side lined. In this case I felt it was Gino and Dom.
Now this is not related to the book, but i would have liked a better cover. This cover does tell us a bit about the story but I would have liked it without the photographs because it kind of ruined my imagination.
But still I love this book tremendously. I could not leave this book for even one second. And I agree that there certain tropes in it, but I felt that the author did try to balance it out.

Final Thoughts
Story/Plot – 5/5
Writing Style – 5/5
Characters – 4.5/5
Pacing – 5/5
Final Rating – 5/5

Vanessa (bookfairy95) (bookfairy95) | 9 comments I haven't read a contemporary in quite a while, since I'm usually more into fantasy and if it wouldn't have been for this group I probably wouldn't have picked this book up.
Well, I'm SO glad I did!!! :D I really liked this one! I liked Sophie from the first page, the humour and her sassiness made me laugh out loud at times and I caught my self giggling out loud in the train. 😂
Millie is absolutely lovable as well. Especially during the basketball tournament when she shouts at all the boys she rocks!
The dynamics between Sophie and Millie are great as well! They don't hesitate to tell each other the ugly truth, but at the same I really feel how much they care for each other and this is what friendship is all about.

The mafia theme was good, but I would like to venture a bit more into it in the second book. (Which I'm definitely going to read!) Also I would like to see more of Sophie's mum! I don't expect to see much of her dad though since he's gonna be in prison for another 4 (?) years.

About the Falcone boys (mostly Nic and Luca) and Sophie's uncle Jack: I think those are characters that are really hard to place. All of them have traits that make them likable, But also there are situations in which I just can't stand them.
Jack for example is really caring about Sophie and he is loyal to her father and his promise to protect her from evil. However, all these revelations about him and the fact that he is way more involved in the underworld than one would have thought make it hard to like him wothout any doubts.
Nic was this lovely boy in the beginning, but (in a similar way as Jack) he has his secrets that are revealed throughout the course of the book. And I am just not sure where his priorities lie. Of course he wouldn't harm Sophie but he does not hesitate to fulfil his orders and shoot at Jack. And I don't think he realises what this means to Sophie, because even if he would protect Sophie from everything, it isn't worth much if she is without family in the end. (I hope this makes sense.. at least in my head it does. 😅)
For Luca it's the other way around. He was a douchebag from the beginning, but as the story progressed a few of his better traits were revealed and I hope there are more to come! Especially when he saved Sophie and her mother in the end and how Sophie protected him in turn was something that made me smile so much! And then this litte note and the inside joke with which Sophie responded to it!!!

All in all a solid read and I'm exited for the next one!

P.S. Where did Nic give Sophie a gun? :D Have I missed something or is it in the 2nd or 3rd book? :D

message 16: by Kayla (new)

Vanessa wrote: "I haven't read a contemporary in quite a while, since I'm usually more into fantasy and if it wouldn't have been for this group I probably wouldn't have picked this book up.
Well, I'm SO glad I di..."

It's in the second/ third book, I wouldn't read read any review until you read the rest of the series Chico I highly recommend you binge read!☺️

message 17: by ;; (new)

;; (sheisreadingg) | 4 comments Kayla wrote: "For those who have read Vendetta here is a question...

Nicoli Or Luca?"

Luca forever. I found Nic annoying and flat, honestly :')