Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Duplicate author and books to be combined?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silviaceravolo) | 255 comments While searching for the book Stolen by Jay Marie I stumbled across two authors/books. The first is under GR record 26407035-stolen, which has a Kindle book ASIN that no longer exists on Amazon.

I tried to add the actual edition with the current ASIN and got an error indicating it is listed under 36273150-stolen, which is by a different Jay Marie (this one a GR author). Obviously the same book and author. Book might have been re-issued.

There are several other books in the series, I am guessing they all have the same problem.

message 2: by Sandra (last edited Dec 29, 2017 12:10AM) (new)

Sandra | 24689 comments Unfortunately, GR numbered records are pretty useless for librarians to search for, it is basically an internal db thing.

Found the one you thought was a GR author, she/he isn't. Can't find the other one.

Could you link it please.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silviaceravolo) | 255 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

If you link to the authors from each of these you will find the two different authors. The top book has the broken ASIN.

message 4: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silviaceravolo) | 255 comments
Found the one you thought was a GR author, she/he isn't. Can't find the o..."

Strangely, the GR author is connected to the broken ASINs. I got it backwards.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24689 comments Thanks for the links.

Ok, moved 2 of the books to the GR author profile & combined them. Left 1 as staff need to move the 23 followers across.

The ASIN isn't broken, its just been superceded by a newer edition. Authors do this all the time.

message 6: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silviaceravolo) | 255 comments What I meant by broken was no alternative to the link that led to an error page. When all the editions of a book are combined into one then I now know I can always look for a newer Kindle edition. So the book as listed (before being fixed) made it seem the title was out of print. It's only recently that I started looking a little deeper and realized that a broken link didn't mean I couldn't buy the book. I suspect a lot of users give up when that happens. Thanks.