Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

83 views
Archived: BOM/SGOM > Sub-Genre of the Month for January 2018: ♥ Villain to Hero Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments


Villain to Hero Romance is self-explanatory so here is a few links to help you find your Romantic villains/Villains turned heroes.
Keep in mind there are books on this lists that don't fit the sub-genre

Villain as romantic love interests
Villain Gets the Girl
Romancing the Series' Villain


message 2: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments Too bad we don't have that Hugh d'Ambray story Ilona Andrews is apparently writing: Iron and Magic. I'd love to read that one!


Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments SO in! still deciding...


message 4: by Anita (last edited Dec 29, 2017 02:21PM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I voted for this sub-genre so now I have to see if I've got anything on my To Read list that will fit.

Wow that was tough. Not much that really fits in this sub-genre. I chose Fire and Ice (Ice, #5) by Anne Stuart Fire and Ice by Anne Stuart.


message 5: by Debby*BabyDee (last edited Dec 29, 2017 05:47PM) (new)

Debby*BabyDee I chose Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling, #12) by Nalini Singh The Obsidian Heart by Nalini Singh


message 6: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "Too bad we don't have that Hugh d'Ambray story Ilona Andrews is apparently writing: Iron and Magic. I'd love to read that one!"

Ooh that would have been perfect!


message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I think the problem with this sub genre is that most of the books are not the 1st book in the series.
They have to show up in a few books to do their villainy and then be redeemed and have their own HEA .


message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I chose Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling, #12) by Nalini SinghThe Obsidian Heart by Nalini Singh"

Such a great book.


message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Lothaire (Immortals After Dark #12) by Kresley Cole my favorite romantic villains.


message 10: by Oleander (last edited Dec 30, 2017 11:26AM) (new)

Oleander | 188 comments If this were a reading AND watching challenge, I would have it nailed with Once Upon a Time. Can't get enough of those villains turning into heroes-Rumple, Regina, Hook.
I've read the first two Lords of Avalon which fit this challenge perfectly. Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1) by Kinley MacGregor Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2) by Kinley MacGregor May do a reread cuz I really liked them. Also thinking about If You Dare (MacCarrick Brothers, #1) by Kresley Cole It's been awhile since I've read a sexy highlander book.


message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I'm in but will have to search my books and TBR lists but I promised my husband for 2018 not to buy any books to meet a challenge, but I will enjoy the hunt


message 12: by Vicki (last edited Dec 30, 2017 04:25PM) (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) Okay, I checked the lists and found these:
Jane Erye
Darkest Night- Gena Showalter
Darkest Pleasure-Gena Showalter
A Shade of Vampire-Bella Forrest
I have all of these on my TBRs ahy help on if these will work?


message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) I see a lot of Anne Stuart books on this list. I'll pick one of her books for this challenge.


message 14: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee ShoSho wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I chose Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling, #12) by Nalini SinghThe Obsidian Heart by Nalini Singh"

Such a great book."


looking forward to the read


message 15: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments I'm going with Vicious Cycle (Vicious Cycle, #1) by Katie Ashley Vicious Cycle by Katie Ashley


Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) I'm going to read Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas


✦⟣Kelly⟢✦ | 2 comments The Mad, Bad Duke by Jennifer Ashley fits this sub-genre.


message 18: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments Death Angel by Linda Howard also fits, really well, if you're looking for a contemporary.


message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bookwormrdh) | 8 comments This A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6) by Eloisa James book is on my TBR list and for me is the next in the series, so I have a win win if I get it done. Looking forward to it!


message 20: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments I've decided to read Knaves' Wager by Loretta Chase , which has great dialog so far. The "hero" really is manipulative and amoral. It appears to have been inspired by Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise Choderlos de Laclos , though I'm expecting a happier ending (I hope!).


message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I've decided to read Knaves' Wager by Loretta Chase, which has great dialog so far. The "hero" really is manipulative and amoral. "

I saw that you were reading that. I might read it too if you like it!


message 22: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "I saw that you were reading that. I might read it too if you like it! "

So far so good! Very good banter! At first I didn't care for either hero or heroine, but now like them both. Though, the hero is very underhanded, and does not have the best interests of the heroine at heart. It's very much for his own benefit, much as he enjoys getting to know her.


Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Finally decided on: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews


✦⟣Kelly⟢✦ | 2 comments I will read Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1) by Kinley MacGregor because it's already in my TBR. Thanks for the recommend/idea Oleander!


message 25: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Finally decided on: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews"

I was thinking about that one too as Rogan is not a hero when he is first introduced, and even at the end is a bit questionable.


Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Lara wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Finally decided on: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews"

I was thinking about that one too as Rogan is not a hero when he is first introduced, and even at the end i..."


Yup have had this one on my radar for awhile and got it for a buck a few months ago on my kindle so was a no brainer! :)


message 27: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments I just learned about a book being released this month that sounds like a great fit: Judgment Road (Torpedo Ink #1) by Christine Feehan .


message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I've decided on: A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest


message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I just learned about a book being released this month that sounds like a great fit: Judgment Road (Torpedo Ink #1) by Christine Feehan."

I have yet to pick up a motorcycle club book. I don't find them romantic in RL, I don't think I would in a romance book. have you read any?


message 30: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments ShoSho wrote: "Lara wrote: "I just learned about a book being released this month that sounds like a great fit: Judgment Road (Torpedo Ink #1) by Christine Feehan."

I have yet to pick up a motorcycle club book. I don't find them romantic in RL, I don't think I would in a romance book. have you read any?"


ShoSho, I know you put this to Lara, but I'm going to throw my two cents into the ring too. I have read several Motorcycle Club books, and how well the romance works is really dependent on how well the author can do a redemption story. My belief is that Sons of Anarchy made them extremely popular, so now we have a huge influx of them. (Sons of Anarchy was what got me interested in them in the first place!)

I've read some really good ones, but also some really bad ones too. Kristen Ashley has the Chaos series, which technically starts with Own the Wind, but in reality, you need to read Motorcycle Man first. (For me, that meant I had to read the entire Dream Man series before that, which was hugely frustrating!) I'm not a huge Kristen Ashley fan, so for me the books aren't as good as I'd want, but they do keep me coming back for the new releases. Joanna Wylde has the Reapers series and the Silver Valley series for her MC clubs, but a couple of words of caution here: Reaper's Property is not a good start to the series, though the series does improve somewhat. Silver Valley has never gone beyond the first book in the series, which annoys little OCD me. There is no real redemption story here, though the heroes do change to a certain degree. Julie Ann Walker's Black Knights series that we group read is technically considered Motorcycle Club Romances, though I really disagree with that classification. Laura Kaye's spin-off from the Hard Ink series, the Raven Riders series, is a great introduction to Motorcycle Club romances, in my opinion, and the characters are familiar from our group read of the Hard Ink series. I really hated Chantal Fernando's Wind Dragons MC series, and can't recommend them. I have to say, I highly recommend River Savage's Knights Rebels MC series! They have great redemption stories, touching plots, and are very quick reads! I have reviews up for several of the authors and books I mentioned above, if you want to check them out.

For this month's SGoM, I read Vicious Cycle by Katie Ashley, though I haven't gotten a chance to review it yet. It's a solid 3 star read for me, with a slow moving redemption story. It was a little too violent for my tastes, and not enough romance between the main characters either, but it did give me a feel for how the author will do a Motorcycle Club romance.

I know I got long winded here, but I hope that helps you out a bit!


message 31: by Carly - Resident Supergirl (last edited Jan 03, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Lara wrote: "I just learned about a book being released this month that sounds like a great fit: Judgment Road (Torpedo Ink #1) by Christine Feehan."

UM this book sounds like my catnip! lol. Definitely throwing this on Priority TBR!

EDIT: Seriously just put myself as a Hold because Library has it on order, lol.


message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jan 03, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ⚜️Trea wrote: "My belief is that Sons of Anarchy made them extremely popular, so now we have a huge influx of them. (Sons of Anarchy was what got me interested in them in the first place!)"

I've never watched Sons of Anarchy . Instead I have watched a few short TV series with MC as the villains(very evil ones). Plus all the news about MCs on TV. Motorcycle gangs are illegal in our state as of a few years ago.

Julie Ann Walker's Black Knights series that we group read is technically considered Motorcycle Club Romances, though I really disagree with that classification.

I agree with that. They are not a MC.

Laura Kaye's spin-off from the Hard Ink series, the Raven Riders series, is a great introduction to Motorcycle Club romances, in my opinion, and the characters are familiar from our group read of the Hard Ink series.

I think they are a milder sort of MC. From what I remember from the other series and books they were all good and decent guys. If I want to try a MC book I might pick that one. I don't think the series would fit the SGOM though.

Thanks, Trea! It does help :) I'm going to have a look at your reviews now.


message 33: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments Motorcycle clubs books have never caught my fancy. Being good friends with two L.A. County Sherriff Deputies has but the kibosh on any romantic thoughts about these very vicious, nasty people.


message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Anita wrote: "Motorcycle clubs books have never caught my fancy. Being good friends with two L.A. County Sherriff Deputies has but the kibosh on any romantic thoughts about these very vicious, nasty people."

Me neither! That's probably one of the only tropes I don't read.


message 35: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I just read Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3) by Anne Stuart and holy Baby Jesus, that guy was a real villain. If the heroine hadn't known how to handle him, I would have dnf it.

I was sort of enjoying it, thinking there was going to be epic groveling but it didn't happen! That pissed me off.

Of course, the book made me think of Lothaire (Immortals After Dark #12) by Kresley Cole so I'm really tempted to re-read it.


message 36: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Anita wrote: "Motorcycle clubs books have never caught my fancy. Being good friends with two L.A. County Sherriff Deputies has but the kibosh on any romantic thoughts about these very vicious, nasty people."

Me either.


message 37: by D.G. (new)

D.G. ShoSho wrote: "I think the problem with this sub genre is that most of the books are not the 1st book in the series.
They have to show up in a few books to do their villainy and then be redeemed and have their o..."


Anne Stuart is known for writing about villainous heroes so most of hers will probably do.


message 38: by D.G. (last edited Jan 03, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

D.G. Lara wrote: "Death Angel by Linda Howard also fits, really well, if you're looking for a contemporary."

BOTH MCs are villains in this one. Here's my review (no spoilers)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments D.G. wrote: "Lara wrote: "Death Angel by Linda Howard also fits, really well, if you're looking for a contemporary."

BOTH of them are villains in this one."


Ooohh sounds good to me!


message 40: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments ⚜️Trea wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Lara wrote: "I just learned about a book being released this month that sounds like a great fit: Judgment Road (Torpedo Ink #1) by Christine Feehan."

I have yet to pick up a motorcycle club book. I..."


Trea, thanks for that overview! I haven't read any real MC books yet, and just realized they would fit with a subgenre I avoid (along with American Civil War, Westerns, and time travel). I may have to try one out, though I suspect I'll have to be careful.

Like ShoSho, I should probably try out a nicer MC rather than a gritty one.


message 41: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "D.G. wrote: "Lara wrote: "Death Angel by Linda Howard also fits, really well, if you're looking for a contemporary."

BOTH of them are villains in this one."

Ooohh sounds good to me!"


It was good! The heroine is self-centered and the hero a killer. It takes time and a major life event (or two) for change to occur. There is a certain supernatural element as well, though I wouldn't call it a paranormal romance.


Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments D.G. wrote: "I just read Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3) by Anne Stuart and holy Baby Jesus, that guy was a real villain. If the heroine hadn't known how to handle him, I would have dnf it.

I was sort of enjoying it, thinking..."


I have had Lothaire come up on SO MANY LISTS of book styles I adore and it is driving me crazy that is number 12 in a series...I have heard good things about the series but I just don't have the time or room to read the first 11 GAH lol!


message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments D.G. wrote: "Of course, the book made me think of Lothaire (Immortals After Dark #12) by Kresley Cole so I'm really tempted to re-read it"

I feel the same! I keep hearing :" Lisbetha" in Robert Petkof's voice in my head whenever I think about that book! lol


message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "D.G. wrote: "Lara wrote: "Death Angel by Linda Howard also fits, really well, if you're looking for a contemporary."

BOTH of them are villains in this one."

Ooohh sounds good t..."


That's my next read!


message 45: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "I have had Lothaire come up on SO MANY LISTS of book styles I adore and it is driving me crazy that is number 12 in a series...I have heard good things about the series but I just don't have the time or room to read the first 11 GAH lol! "

Carly you should start the series! The whole series is fantastic specially the audio with Robert Petkof's narration. You should give them a try and see for yourself.


message 46: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Carly, if you decide to read the Immortals After Dark series, as ShoSho said, the audio is fantastic. I had tried to start the first one and dnf because I wasn't in the mood at the time but followed Lisa Kay's recommendation to try it on audio. I was hooked, the narration really does take it to the next level and you can tell that RObert Petkoff is having a blast reading them. Hope you try them!


message 47: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I finished A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) by Bella Forrest and Derick Novak is the evil vampire king. When he awakens from long sleep he is offered several women to feed from but he finds Sofia feels different and as she stays as his slave. She changes him and he gives her her freedom. Liked it hope to read more of series.


message 48: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Lara wrote: "Trea, thanks for that overview! I haven't read any real MC books yet, and just realized they would fit with a subgenre I avoid (along with American Civil War, Westerns, and time travel). I may have to try one out, though I suspect I'll have to be careful.

Like ShoSho, I should probably try out a nicer MC rather than a gritty one."


You're welcome, Lara! I'd recommend starting with Laura Kaye's Hard Ink spin off: The Raven Riders. They're on the right side of the law for the most part, have a good sense of family, and aren't overly violent. Kristen Ashley's Chaos might also be a good place to start, but it has been a while since I've read them and I can't remember the violence level.


message 49: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments ⚜️Trea wrote: "I'd recommend starting with Laura Kaye's Hard Ink spin off: The Raven Riders. They're on the right side of the law for the most part, have a good sense of family, and aren't overly violent. Kristen Ashley's Chaos might also be a good place to start"

Thanks Trea! I don't mind some violence, but don't like drug dealing and abuse. I get the feeling that some of the nastier crimes are part of many of these series, and that has kept me from wanting to read them. It's like another book I heard about that is historical and the hero was a slave trader. While I agree that (especially at the time) he could have otherwise been a great person, in today's world I have issues with romances being written with heroes that think slavery is okay. If I were to read one that was written at that time, I'd feel differently as it would have been written when world views were completely different. But, it doesn't work for me in romance books written today.


Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments @ShoSho and @Gisela , so tell me this about this series though...because and don't be shocked but I am not a fan of the Blackdagger Brotherhood series I got through the first 4 and just wasn't my bag...way too much insta-love/lust for me, I prefer a build up. Is Immortals After Dark different?


« previous 1
back to top