Feminist Future discussion

Feminist Graphic Novels?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments I was late to the graphic novel party - I really only started reading them this year. So, I’d love some recommendations on this genre that feature feminist characters? Any favorites I should seek out? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

message 2: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 49 comments Mod
That's a great question. I have zero knowledge about that genre but I'll ask a few who do and get back to you!

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam I'd recommend
Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening

Just finished it myself. It's an interesting fantastical take on a matriarchy at war. Set in steampunk China, you have a lot of eastern mythology with Egyptian. Dark, though.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments Thank you both. I’ve added Monstress Vol 1: Awakening to my Want to Read list!

message 5: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah 1. The Infinite Loop - feminist, lesbian, sci-fi graphic novel

2. Revolutionary Girl Utena - Japanese manga; takes the “magical girl” genre and turns it on its head, producing an awesome feminist tale.

3. Jem and the Holograms - A total reboot of Jem, updating it for an adult audience, multi-racial, feminist, and with two lesbian characters.

4. Gotham City Sirens - Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and Catwoman team up to take on Gotham.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments Thanks so much, Rachel!

message 7: by tif (new)

tif flynn (itsmetif) | 1 comments Lumberjanes is one of my favourites. Also has some LGBTQI+ issues. Nimona is also pretty good but is only a standalone not a series. The recently cancelled America Chavez is worth a read despite the cancellation and while not specifically feminist, Gwenpool is a fun read (which Marvel have also recently cancelled)