Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
The August read/Sept. discussion book is Komarr. Can't wait to discuss the novel with everyone! This is our first group read for a Vorkosiverse novel!

message 2: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
Sweet!

message 3: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
Oh, nice :D, can't wait to start!

message 4: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

:-) Me too. I actually had this one to hand so I don't have to spend weeks searching!!

message 5: by vorthys (new)

vorthys | 48 comments Truly a landslide victory by a whopping 2-to-1 margin.

message 6: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
It was time for a discussion of a Vorkosigan novel.

message 7: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

We need to come up with some great discussion topics for this book so that more people will participate!! :-)

message 8: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

What do you think of these:
- why did Ekaterin put up so long with Tien
- sweetest moments
- stupidity of hard choices and especially of sticking to them
- who was the girl from the bathroom parenting story; do you think she ever existed or was that a momentary inspiration - this one bugs me a lot
- and some others that will have to wait until everyone is done with (re)reading :)

message 9: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

vorbore wrote: "What do you think of these:
- why did Ekaterin put up so long with Tien
- sweetest moments
- stupidity of hard choices and especially of sticking to them
- who was the girl from the bathroom parent..."

sounds good!

can't wait for the discussion to start! :-)

message 10: by Jumana (new)

Jumana | 32 comments This is a bit broad, but I've always wondered, what do you think would have happened on Barrayar if the "bad guys" had succeded in carrying out their original plan?

message 11: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

I think that they would slip back in the way of living from the time of isolation, because people like familiar things in times of distress, however bad these might actually be. Without any way of getting in touch with the rest of the universe, a major distress it would be. There would probably be a civil war or two. Good that it did not happen.

message 12: by Jumana (new)

Jumana | 32 comments *SPOILER* "think that they would slip back in the way of living from the time of isolation, because people like familiar things in times of distress"

That is what they suggest in the book. but the Barrayar to Serygar to Escobar link would still be open. They would not be isolated, just cut off from Komarr. There would be major economic upheveal with the loss of Komarr taxes and having to reroute trade, and maybe a civil war or two, but not the same as the time of Isolation..

message 13: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (last edited Aug 20, 2009 12:38AM) (new)

I apologize for the omission of the spoiler alert.

But.
The only wormhole link to Barrayar lead from Komarr, and the traveling to Sergyar and Escobar went through that way too. See the Nexus map in Borders of Infinity. Or the one on http://wwww.dendarii.com (http://pw1.netcom.com/~fresne/home.htm)
That is why Komarr was so important to Barrayar in the first place.

message 14: by Jumana (new)

Jumana | 32 comments vorbore wrote: "I apologize for the omission of the spoiler alert.

But.
The only wormhole link to Barrayar lead from Komarr, and the traveling to Sergyar and Escobar went through that way too. See the Nexus map i..."

You're right, oops. It really makes me mad to think that the result would be society flipping back like that, but I suppose life is like that. Ofcourse, no-one on Barrayar would know why it had happened, I wonder what they would think... on Earth, its the kind of think that would lead people to massacare members of some group or the other to avert the wrath of God, but on Barrayar, they don't have religon, I wonder if they would still scapegoat some group? Sceintists or something?

message 15: by C12vt (new)

C12vt | 11 comments Personally, I don't think Barrayar would revert back to time-of-isolation behavior. Even if they are isolated, they still have the galactic technology - at this point they have assimilated it enough to keep it going themselves (we have seen in other books that Barrayar has it's own engineers, doctors, etc. who are up-to-date with galactic tech).

I think a return to isolation would slow down the changes that have been occurring on Barrayar, but I don't think it would stop them.

Now Sergyar, cut off from the Barrayaran empire - what would happen to them?

message 16: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

Sergyar has a different wormhole to link to Komarr and it is linked with Escobar as well. Somebody else would surely claim Sergyar. Komarr and Escobar being the most probable choice, provided that they have the means to support their claim.

message 17: by Jumana (new)

Jumana | 32 comments I can imagine a civil conflict in Serygar as the Komarrans living there want to join Komarr and the Barrayans want it to be an independent country.

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelic1ang) | 8 comments Vorlady wrote: "What do you think of these:
- why did Ekaterin put up so long with Tien"

She was in a relationship where she was systematically stripped of all self worth and she didn't feel she deserved better. Whether or not he ever hit her, it was an abusive relationship. She didn't think she had the ability to raise her family on her own. She couldn't see she was already taking care of everything, even her abusive husband so going it alone would have actually been a relief.

After Ekaterin began to have more self confidence in her abilities, it was that much more damaging to learn that Miles had mislead her. He was supposed to be safe.