The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Archive Monthly Challenges > January 2018 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Welcome to our January challenge! I was really happy to see a lot of interest in our December monthly challenge. We will be having challenges every other month for now. I'm planning to stick with the holiday theme, but to mix it up a bit, some are serious holidays and some are weird holidays, just for fun. Below are listed 7 tasks that relate to January holidays. Have fun! :)

Rules:
✒︎ You may choose how many tasks you’d like to complete from 1 to all 7.
✒︎ Each task can only be completed once and each book can only be used for 1 task.
✒︎ Books must be at least 150 pages long.
✒︎ Any book format may be used: physical, electronic, audio.
✒︎ For audio pages just use the first edition of the book that pops up when you do a search for the book.
✒︎ All books must be started and finished within the challenge month.

Tasks:
~ 1st- New Year’s Day: Read the first book in a series.

~ 8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story.

~ 15th- Civil Rights Day: Read a book by an author of color.

~ 16th- Teachers' Day in Thailand: Read a book where the MC is a teacher or professor.

~ 23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries, etc.).

~ 27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok).

~ 28th- Fun at Work Day: Read a book where the MC has a job you’d like to have.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments reserved

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 05, 2018 07:33PM) (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments I have a lot of books planned for January already, so I may just try for two of the tasks this month. :)

Completed: 1/2

✓8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story.
Bound

~ 16th- Teachers' Day in Thailand: Read a book where the MC is a teacher or professor.

~ 23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries, etc.).
X: A Short Story (too short to count, but written in diary format)

~ 27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok).

message 4: by Debra Digs (last edited Jan 28, 2018 07:56PM) (new)

Debra Digs G. Not sure how many I will do. I'll just see how it goes. Looks like fun.
Completed 7/7

✔ 1st- New Year’s Day: Read the first book in a series. -
Chocolat by Joanne Harris

✔ 8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story. - The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

✔ 15th- Civil Rights Day: Read a book by an author of color. - The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

✔ 16th- Teachers' Day in Thailand: Read a book where the MC is a teacher or professor. - To Sir, With Love by E.R. Braithwaite

✔ 23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries, etc.). - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

✔ 27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok). - The Boy on the Bridge by M.R. Carey

✔ 28th- Fun at Work Day: Read a book where the MC has a job you’d like to have. - The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

message 5: by Sana (last edited Jan 19, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) | 43 comments January 2018 Challenge

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines 7/1/18

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King 19/1/18

~ 23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries.

message 6: by emy125 (new)

emy125 | 4 comments I'll try to do 3 books for this challenge :)

0/3

reply | flag *

message 7: by Judith (last edited Jan 17, 2018 09:55AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1269 comments Not sure how many of these I'll get to, but I'll give this one a go!

Completed: 4/7

✔1st- New Year’s Day: Read the first book in a series.
Book: Defenseless
Completed: Jan 9
Rating: 4 stars

✔8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story.
Book: Sea of Shadows
Completed: Jan 15
Rating: 3 stars

Book:
Completed:
Rating:

Book:
Completed:
Rating:

Book:
Completed:
Rating:

✔ 27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok).
Book: Hacking the SEAL
Rating: 3 Stars

✔28th- Fun at Work Day: Read a book where the MC has a job you’d like to have. (photographer)
Book: Crossing the Line

message 8: by Dottie (new)

Dottie Hall | 8 comments Hi all, I'm fairly new to this group and this looks like fun! looking thru my lists now to find books that meet the criteria. We will see how many I get in! Good luck everyone!

message 9: by Reed (new)

Reed Raab (reedraab) | 46 comments This sounds like a blast! I'm in!

Definitely in for 4, not sure which ones yet :)

message 10: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 23, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

Stephanie | 163 comments I'm in!! January is a busy month with both of my kid’s birthdays in January, but my goal is to complete all tasks.

Tasks: 5/7
Book:
Completed:

Book: Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Completed: 1/12/2018

Book: A Lesson Before Dying
Completed:1/13/2018

Book: Christy
Completed:

Book: Bridget Jones's Diary
Completed: 1/23/2018

Book: Between Shades of Gray
Completed: 1/7/2018

~ 28th- Fun at Work Day: Read a book where the MC has a job /you’d like to have.
Book: Because of Mr. Terupt
Completed: 1/11/2018

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Happy birthday to your kids, Stephanie!

message 12: by Donna (last edited Jan 06, 2018 03:10AM) (new)

Donna Nowosielski | 104 comments January 2018 Challenge

Completed 2/7

Tasks:
The Sisters' Grimoire 1/5

Second Glance 1/3

The Girl With No Name

message 13: by DoodlePanda (last edited Jan 06, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

DoodlePanda | 244 comments I'm going to try this too, my goal is to complete 3, but hopefully more :)

Completed: 2/7

~ 8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story. - Ready Player One

~ 23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries, etc.). - Wye: A Zombie Novel

message 14: by Erin :) (last edited Jan 07, 2018 11:29AM) (new)

Erin :) Hello! :)

I'm new to posting but I'm glad I decided to check this out. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by book choices that it will be interesting to try this challenge.

Not sure how many challenges I will complete, but I look forward to hopefully discovering some new books! Good luck and happy new year to all! :)

Completed 1/7

Book: Truthwitch
Quick review: Love the strong female friendship; interesting world and mythology (I want more on all the witch types); not totally sold yet on the main romance but willing to see where it goes. I definitely plan to read the next book.

Book: Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Rating:
Quick review:

Book: Sleeping Giants
Rating:
Quick review:

message 15: by Dottie (new)

Dottie Hall | 8 comments ugh! I already screwed it up. started a new book early this am, The Switch by Joseph Finder. Thought it was first in a series but it's a stand alone. Great book though, just finished it, been reading all day! Now to find the right one and start it!

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Erin, glad you decided to join us! Hopefully, this will help you to choose your books with less stress!

Oh no, Dottie! Glad it was at least a good book.

message 17: by Erin :) (new)

Erin :) Thank you, Kristie! :) It has given me the incentive to start "Truthwitch" when before I was dithering among several different books to read. I am going to try to get some more reading in before I have to go back to work tomorrow.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments I really liked Truthwitch, Erin. Hope you enjoy it!

message 19: by Dottie (new)

Dottie Hall | 8 comments just finished Nora Roberts Year One, excellent book! Now I can't wait for the next in the series!

message 20: by Dottie (new)

Dottie Hall | 8 comments Need suggestions for a coming of age book please!

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Here's a few lists that may help:

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/comi... - Coming of Age page

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... - Best Coming of Age Stories

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3... - Coming of Age Booklist

message 22: by Dottie (new)

Dottie Hall | 8 comments Thank you Kristie, I think I may even have a few of these to choose from.

message 23: by Louise (new)

Louise | 944 comments January 2018 Monthly Challenge

message 24: by Levi (new)

Levi Walls I read The Perks of Being A Wallflower and plan on reading The Diary of Anne Frank as well, both written in epistolary style.

message 25: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 190 comments I loved the perks of being a wallflower

message 26: by Erin :) (new)

Erin :) Thank you for the lists of coming of age stories, Kristie! I have found what I shall read from it. :)

One book down and a couple more planned to start!

message 27: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 19 comments I think I'm going to try to do at least one this month...let's see how it goes!

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Erin wrote: "Thank you for the lists of coming of age stories, Kristie! I have found what I shall read from it. :)

One book down and a couple more planned to start!"

You're welcome, Erin! Glad it helped. :)

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 163 comments Kristie wrote: "Happy birthday to your kids, Stephanie!"

They both said thank you!

message 30: by Dottie (new)

Dottie Hall | 8 comments Ended up reading two coming of age books - Sing Unburied Sing, which I really wasn't too crazy about, and Turtles all the Way Down which was fantastic!

message 31: by Emily (last edited Jan 31, 2018 09:02AM) (new)

Emily (ej_reads) | 6 comments First month part of this group, will see how many I can get;

4/7 Completed

1st- New Year’s Day: Read the first book in a series.

8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story. -Little Women

15th- Civil Rights Day: Read a book by an author of color. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

16th- Teachers' Day in Thailand: Read a book where the MC is a teacher or professor.

23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries, etc.).

27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok). - Between Shades of Gray

28th- Fun at Work Day: Read a book where the MC has a job you’d like to have. Murder on the Orient Express

message 32: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 5 comments I didn't even see this challenge on here! I love this idea! Unfortunately only one book I've read this month counts towards this challenge. I'm going to see if I can get more than just 1 task completed by the end of the month. Fingers crossed!

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Good luck, Stacey!

message 34: by Debra Digs (new)

Debra Digs G. One more book to go and I will have completed 7.

message 35: by Cyndi (last edited Jan 30, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Cyndi (alyanna77) | 4 comments 4.5/7 Completed

1st- New Year’s Day: Read the first book in a series. We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story. Turtles All the Way Down

15th- Civil Rights Day: Read a book by an author of color. Of Bees and Mist (currently reading)

16th- Teachers' Day in Thailand: Read a book where the MC is a teacher or professor.

23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries, etc.). Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot

27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok). The Grand Tour

28th- Fun at Work Day: Read a book where the MC has a job you’d like to have.

Any suggestions for the other categories are welcome! I'll try any genre, but I prefer to avoid anything too dark/gory since I read right before bed.

message 36: by Corina (new)

Corina | 248 comments Managed to complete a few of the tasks for the month :)

~ 1st- New Year’s Day: Read the first book in a series - Me Before You

~ 8th- Coming of Age Day in Japan: Read a coming of age story - To Kill a Mockingbird

~ 15th- Civil Rights Day: Read a book by an author of color - The Color Purple

~ 23rd- Handwriting Day: Read a book that is written in epistolary style (told through letters or diary entries, etc.) - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

~ 27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok) - Slaughterhouse-Five

The challenges are really helpful to focus my book search :D

message 37: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 5 comments I managed to complete 3 tasks! 1, 15, and 27

Tasks:
[x]1st- New Year’s Day: Read the first book in a series. The Devil Wear’s Prada by Lauren Weisberger

[x]15th- Civil Rights Day: Read a book by an author of color. The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

[x] 27th- Army Day in Armenia: Read a book that is set during a war or has a MC is in the service (retired is ok). Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans by Brian Kilmeade