Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Female characters as protectors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) There are many books in which the guy protects the girl. There are many books in which the guy and the girl are equal partners, kicking butt together. But are there any books were the girl protects the guy?

From the summaries only - I haven't read those books yet, so I can't say for sure - it seems like Marjorie Liu's The Iron Hunt or maybe Adrian Phoenix's A Rush of Wings might touch on this subject...

Any tips, dear friends?

message 2: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 21 comments They're equals in Iron Hunt.

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series has Kitty protecting a guy, at least for a while.

Kim Harrison's early Hallows books have some of that.

The Devil Insidehas that as well, but I thought the book was awful.

If you like YA, Kim Harrison's Once Dead Twice Shy has that.

Oh, and Faith Hunter's Enclave series.

Definitely Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, but the romance is so subtle as to be non-existent. (I still think they're awesome books but I know a lack of romantic subplot isn't for everyone).

I find that when it's a woman protecting a man it's always because she's supernatural and he's not.

message 3: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) Schnaucl wrote: "They're equals in Iron Hunt.

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series has Kitty protecting a guy, at least for a while.

Kim Harrison's early Hallows books have..."

Thank you for the tips! I have to say that I like to see the "traditional" roles - as they are still called - flipped around :)

message 4: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 21 comments KatiKat wrote: "I have to say that I like to see the "traditional" roles - as they are still called - flipped around :) "

Me too! As long as we don't spend half the book going on about how being with him is putting him in danger so clearly is she were a better person she'd leave him for his own good, something I find even more annoying when male characters do it.

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) lol wouldn't anita blake fall under this with some of her men?

message 6: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Slade (jessaslade) | 114 comments Interesting. I started a thread awhile back about how I'd heard a few complaints that the rise of kick-ass heroines has emasculated heroes everywhere. I thought that was unfair. Glad to see somebody is willing to mix it up.

Dara Joy's Ritual of Proof is a futuristic where the heroine takes the traditionally masculine role.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Breath of Fire sounds like one, from the summary.

message 8: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) Jessa wrote: "Interesting. I started a thread awhile back about how I'd heard a few complaints that the rise of kick-ass heroines has emasculated heroes everywhere. I thought that was unfair. Glad to see somebod..."

Also A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer.

I'm just tired of seeing females to be protected all the time. I mean, it's okay for them to be equal partners these days but swapping roles with the man completely is still a kind of taboo.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Ok, no PN, but Lori Foster's Unexpected Unexpected by Lori Foster has a very kick a@@ female. The hero starts the book wanting a guide to help him find his kidnapped brother. That guide turns out to be Ray, a woman. And she is NOT content to just hang in the background. She wastes no time in getting the intrepid duo where they need to be nor in rescuing the brother (who, btw is a spoiled rotten brat.) I loved the "turn around" in that Ray was the kick a** character. I decided I want to be HER in my next life. :oP

message 10: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Slade (jessaslade) | 114 comments Hmm, now that Ann brings up non PNR... I was looking at my shelf and I kind of thing many of my rom-coms have stronger-than-the-male females. I just wasn't so quick to notice because it's not a kick-butt strength, but a kick-the-abusive-old-boyfriend's-butt kind of strength :) Yeah, I'm thinking Jennifer Crusie. In those stories, it's often the guys who aren't strong enough to let go of their mental hangups.

In a lot of the PNR, many of the heroines are as emotionally/mentally damaged as their alpha males counterparts, so it's like they're starting from a equally weak position, if you see what I mean.

message 11: by Mollyscribbles (new)

Mollyscribbles | 47 comments Definitely check out Jade Tiger; the heroine protects the hero throughout the book. Rather than resenting her strength, like an annoying percentage of the heroes do, he respects it and is perfectly fine with letting her take the lead in a fight. And it's the kickass kind of strength, too -- she's a martial arts expert.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Inez Kelley just released MYLA BY MOONLIGHT and it features a protectress. It's an otherworld fantasy...check it out!

message 13: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
This is more of a sci-fi romance, Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair, but the heroine serves as the hero's bodyguard.