What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Utopic society found through near death experience

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reeva (new)

Reeva | 1 comments What I remember of the book was a man gets into car accident goes off cliff transports into another dimension encounters tribal people who choose who they make a family with as children, share dreams every morning and use sensory deprivation cave as a self imposed punishment for "crimes", also farm in circular patterns and use bones to make tools, they exsist on an isolated island.

message 2: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 283 comments Did the caves have writing on the walls where people wrote down the dreams they told? Did the people have a meal ritual where they feed each other rather than taking food for themselves? Did the guy rape a woman of the peaceful society and then when he gets more enlightened they get together as a couple? And in the end he goes back to the normal world and turns himself in for a murder he committed before being transported to this island?

...if so, I've read it but still can't remember the title! -_-

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33490 comments Mod
The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You by Dorothy Bryant seems to match your description.

Google search -- site:www.goodreads.com fantasy car accident cliff utopia

message 4: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Yes, definitely The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You. I read that just a few months ago and the OP's description set off all my little bells and whistles.

message 5: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 283 comments Oh good, now I don't have to rack my brains any more! I knew I'd read it! :-)

message 6: by Kris (new)

Reeva, The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You by Dorothy Bryant matches your description. What do you think?

Some Goodreads reviewers say, "The main character in The Kin of Ata had led a seamy, notorious life. A set of circumstances occurred: He had a car accident, veered off a cliff and crashed. He should have been dead. Instead, he was found and taken to a place where dreams of the night held value, and ideals common to true spiritual traditions were actually lived." | "Dreams are important to the kin of Ata. The protagonist learns that the people of Ata live and breathe based on the dreams they have. Very Jungian in that sense, these people dream, wake up, tell their friends about said dreams, and, if possible, bring them to reality."

Quotes from the book: "There were virtually no tools of any kind except for digging stick and bones." | "I was on an island."

Here is the Google Books preview - https://books.google.com/books?id=1EH...

message 7: by Kris (new)

Here's another request that appears to be for the same book - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

One Goodreads reviewer says, "At the beginning of the book, he kills his girlfriend, gets in a car wreck and then wakes to find himself on the island of Ata."

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Reeva, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dorothy Bryant (other topics)