CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > Cross Canada Challenge Discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4242 comments Mod
A place to discuss the Cross Canada Challenge. Please set up a "shelf" and track your goals within the challenge. There are threads for each province which should give you some ideas as well as the archived 2017 summer Cross Canada Challenge. Happy reading!!!

message 2: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 786 comments There's a Cross Canada Challenge!? Yay!!

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments I can't find any info. on this challenge. Where do I look? and how does one set up these challenges on your shelves? I haven't done any challenges here because I can't seem to figure out how it works, hahaha.

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

Look on the top right where it says challenges. You can set your goal and if you create a shelf it will track your progress.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments I have all thirteen books planned, double dipping with bingo when I can!

message 6: by ❀ Susan (new)

Awesome @Allison - i have 2/3 of The Manticore to finish before I get my 2018 planning done!

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments I’m planning to start in B C with Ethel Wilson’s short stories. Have been dying to read her for years.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments And I’m done. Planning fewer challenges for 2019, that’s for sure.

https://instagram.com/p/BpamtsOnAQV/

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

Congrats Allison!! like your bullet journaling page too!

message 10: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Cool! Which one was your fav, Allison?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments Good question @Storyheart! I’d have to go with Late Nights on Air, but I really enjoyed And the Birds Rained Down and Annabel as well.

message 12: by ❀ Susan (new)

I LOVE And the Birds Rained Down... it is on my reread list!! I need a NWT book so will get to Late Nights before the end of the year and really enjoyed Annable as well. I am not sure i will get my cross canada finished this year but loved doing it last year!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments It’s not something I’d want to do every year, but every now and again would be fun.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim (bookgiddy) | 39 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Awesome @Allison - i have 2/3 of The Manticore to finish before I get my 2018 planning done!"

I LOVE Robertson Davies!!!

message 15: by Mj (last edited Oct 27, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

Mj | 1189 comments @ Allison hikes in the bookwoods - Congrats for finishing the Cross Canada Challenge!!

@ Meghan - Congrats to you as well!! I was following you and others on the Challenge site and noticed you had read all but 1 province/territory back in early August and just wrapped up your final book in early October. Kudos to you for picking up and crossing the finish line!! Hope you enjoyed it.

There hasn’t been a heck a lot of activity recently on this Challenge. Understandable because everyone's been busy and reading slumps seem to have been rather contagious......plus there are so many great books to choose from and only so much time.

Right now it looks like only 3 of us (changed to 4 of us - see edit below) are done. I got off to an early start myself and finished in early June. A number of others have made some great headway and have the finish line in site.

As I mentioned in my comment in the Challenge Section when I was done......and I still mean it “I was introduced to some new authors and regions and quite enjoyed the 2018 Canadian Cross Country Challenge.

I would encourage others to give this challenge a try. There's lots of time left in 2018 to explore through books the spirit and geography of the various provinces and territories in Canada.”

Edited at 5:52 pm on Sunday Oct 27, 2018

@Gail - Congrats to you also!! I missed your finish line cross on Sept. 21st. I was checking the Challenge Site for progress and hadn't revisited the Discussion Thread under Completion Plans.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @MJ thanks! I really enjoyed this challenge, it stretched my reading parameters.

message 17: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments I have 9 / 12 done and a stack set up to try to get me to at least 10... but I'm running out of time! BINGO challenge has trumped this one.

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

Great to see some readers have completed this challenge - Congrats!!!

I am not sure that i will complete mine this year but sure did enjoy it last year!! Perhaps we can leave this as an annual challenge that readers can choose to participate in if they like!

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

A new challenge has been added for the 2019 reading trip across Canada to aid your tracking.

message 20: by ❀ Susan (new)

Hi Shelly - i am responding in the discussion thread. the intent is to read a book from each province and territory throughout the year. the Completion plans thread is for the plans only so you can copy the template and keep track of your books. :)

message 21: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Krueger ❀ Susan wrote: "Hi Shelly - i am responding in the discussion thread. the intent is to read a book from each province and territory throughout the year. the Completion plans thread is for the plans only so you can..."

Thank you Susan. Im still learning how to navigate groups. I will use the right thread next time. I'm inspired to search out new Canadian authors.

message 22: by ❀ Susan (new)

No worries - glad you are considering coming along on the “trip”

message 23: by ❀ Susan (new)

Some great options for reading books set in or written by authors/artists from Nunavut - https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.c...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for the link.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Now the link will not show. I will keep trying.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 308 comments Across Canada, I’m in!