The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

Book Chat > Reading Bingo for 2017

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9689 comments description

I have seen several book bloggers using this as a way to summarise their 2017 reading and reviewing. Anyone fancy having a go?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9689 comments My response:

A Book with More Than 500 Pages – As A God Might Be, 600 pages on religious belief from the founder of the Republic of Consciousness Prize

A Forgotten Classic – Not so much forgotten as overlooked by English translators: The Evenings – finally available in English after 70 years and worth the wait

A Book That Became a Movie – Hamlet

A Book Published This Year – A Line Made by Walking – Tramp Press published, Goldsmiths prize shortlisted, and as good as both of those things would suggest

A Book with a Number in the Title – Reservoir 13, ground-breaking in its innovation of the novel form and the book that 2017 will still be remembered for in 2067.

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty – Elmet from the Man Booker shortlist

A Book with Non-Human Characters – the iGhetti, resembling ‘stalks of fleshy, weak rhubarb’, who take over The City in John M Harrison's You Should Come with Me Now: Stories of Ghosts

A Funny Book – Sorry to Disrupt the Peace: the first-person narrator Helen is a wonderful creation

A Book By A Female Author - Gaudy Bauble, a stunning introduction for me to transliteracy

A Book with a Mystery – My Heart Hemmed In – another brilliant novel from Marie NDiaye

A Book with a One-word title – Ali Smith's Winter. Counting the days until Spring (2019)

A Book of Short Stories – Attrib. and other stories by Eley Williams. In a year where I read many more short story collections that normally, this stood out

Free square – A Horse Walks into a Bar – rightly winner of the Man Booker International and the antithesis of 2016’s worst book The Sellout

A Book Set on a Different Continent – We That Are Young, King Lear relocated to India

A Non-fiction Book – Red Plenty: Inside the Fifties' Soviet Dream which alternates non-fiction exposition with fictional illustrations

The First Book by a Favourite Author – Days and Nights In W12 by the unique 'Jack Robinson' - I read one of his books (Robinson) and then had to read everything else

A Book You Heard About Online – Forbidden Line a 21st century Don Quixote, from Galley Beggar Press and the 2016 Republic of Consciousness Prize

A Bestselling Book – inevitably each year this is the Booker winner, but Lincoln in the Bardo was one of the strongest of recent winners (if far from the best book on the longlist)

A Book Based on a True Story – The Gallows Pole by Ben Myers, Republic of Consciousness Prize longlisted and like the 2017 Man Booker shortlisted Elmet meets the 2016 shortlisted His Bloody Project but better than both

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - I really aren't sure why I haven't read more Woolf as everything I have is quite brilliant. Britain's greatest novelist since Sterne

A Book your Friend Loves – The Nix, inexplicably liked by most of my GR friends and utterly utterly dreadful

A Book that Scares You – Fever Dream – another MBI standout, genuinely haunting

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old – Blaming by Elizabeth Taylor, an author I had previously overlooked

The Second Book in a Series – In the Absence of Absalon, brilliant follow up to Simon Okotie's Whatever Happened to Harold Absalon

A Book with a Blue Cover – any of 5 books I read from the wonderful Fitzcarraldo Press with their distinctive blue covers and french flaps, particularly Counternarratives – worthy winner of the 2016 Republic of Consciousness Prize -and Compass from this year's RoC longlist and MBI shortlist

message 3: by Hugh (last edited Dec 29, 2017 11:35AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3369 comments Mod
I have not attempted to avoid other people's answers, and there are two I can't do without cheating.

A Book with More Than 500 Pages – Lemprière's Dictionary

A Forgotten Classic – Clear Light of Day

A Book That Became a Movie – I think The Line of Beauty was

A Book Published This Year – Reservoir 13 has to be included somewhere!

A Book with a Number in the Title – 4 3 2 1

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty – Buddenbrooks (Thomas Mann was only 25 when it was published)

A Book with Non-Human Characters – does Oryx and Crake count?

A Funny Book – The Loved One

A Book By A Female Author - A Line Made by Walking

A Book with a Mystery – The Essex Serpent

A Book with a One-word title – the first one was Beatlebone

A Book of Short Stories – Pond

Free square – A Field Guide to Reality

A Book Set on a Different Continent – Wizard of the Crow

A Non-fiction Book – Findings

The First Book by a Favourite Author – The Old Child and The Book of Words

A Book You Heard About Online – Tristana

A Bestselling Book – Life of Pi is way ahead of everything else going by number of GR reviews

A Book Based on a True Story – The Gallows Pole

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – D'Alembert's Principle

A Book your Friend Loves – the one I disliked most that got a lot of positive friend reviews was The Orphan Master's Son

A Book that Scares You – can't think of anything that really scared me

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old – The Bone People

The Second Book in a Series – erm... can't think of any. Don't read many series.

A Book with a Blue Cover – Playing Possum

message 4: by Doug (last edited Dec 29, 2017 09:44AM) (new)

Doug I'm game!!

My response:
A Book with More Than 500 Pages – 4 3 2 1 - and it felt like the title was the number of pages

A Forgotten Classic – Cecil Dreeme - fascinating book published in 1861, purportedly the first book with a gay romance published in the US

A Book That Became a Movie –My Cousin Rachel (TWO movies!)

A Book Published This Year – Paris in the Present Tense

A Book with a Number in the Title – Reservoir 13 - most overrated book of the year (decade, century, millennium...)

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty –Blasted

A Book with Non-Human Characters - Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too (self expanatory) or Borne (which had plethora of GMOs as characters)

A Funny Book – Things You Shouldn't Say Past Midnight: A Comedy in Three Beds

A Book By A Female Author - Commonwealth

A Book with a Mystery – Himself

A Book with a One-word title – Sourdough

A Book of Short Stories – An Unrestored Woman

Free square - Sweetland - even better the second time.

A Book Set on a Different Continent – Sightseeing (set in Thailand)

A Non-fiction Book – Boys Keep Swinging: A Memoir

The First Book by a Favourite Author – The Pride

A Book You Heard About Online – Playing Possum

A Bestselling Book – Manhattan Beach

A Book Based on a True Story – Oslo (J. T. Rogers' play based on the Oslo peace talks)

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – You Are Here: An Owner's Manual for Dangerous Minds

A Book your Friend Loves – There's More Than One Way Home (my best friend, Donna Levin, wrote it, so...)

A Book that Scares You – You Should Have Left: A Novel (not really, but it's creepy) or, taken another way: My Absolute Darling - it's scary that such a dreadful book not only got published, but was favorably reviewed.

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old - The Last Days of Disco, with Cocktails at Petrossian Afterward, as talented a novelist as he is a filmmaker

The Second Book in a Series – Winter

A Book with a Blue Cover – Song from Far Away

message 5: by Neil (last edited Dec 29, 2017 01:49AM) (new)

Neil | 1979 comments Here's my take. In a few cases, I've not picked my first choice because someone already has it, so I've gone with an alternative.

A Book with More Than 500 Pages – There are 16 for me to choose from. In the interests of diversity, I’ll go for Bricks and Mortar - a non-linear, stream-of-consciousness, mixed narrator impression of the German sex trade. It polarised its readers: I loved it but many hated it.

A Forgotten Classic – I hardly ever read old books, but I’ll choose The Blazing World - not the one by Siri Hustvedt, but the one by Margaret Cavendish that is cited in Hustvedt’s book. Considered an early forerunner of Science Fiction.

A Book That Became a Movie – The Spy Who Came In from the Cold. No more needs to be said.

A Book Published This Year – Winter - yet another stunning book from Ali Smith.

A Book with a Number in the Title – Tuesday Nights in 1980. A group of friends in the New York art scene. I'll let you work out when it is set!

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty – I have no idea how old most authors are, so I’ll go with Elmet where others have worked it out for me.

A Book with Non-Human Characters – Mother of Darkness with the character Feracor who is a god, albeit possibly the product of a deranged mind.

A Funny Book – White Noise was a lot funnier on a re-read than I remember it being (black comedy).

A Book By A Female Author - We That Are Young - a wonderful re-telling of King Lear set in India.

A Book with a Mystery – Possession - a literary detective novel of the highest calibre.

A Book with a One-word title – Megan Dunn’s Tinderbox

A Book of Short Stories – Jesus' Son. Still one of my favourite books ever.

Free square – An Overcoat: Scenes from the Afterlife of H.B.. Now long listed for The Republic of Consciousness Prize.

A Book Set on a Different Continent – Midnight's Children

A Non-fiction Book – Between the Sunset and the Sea: A View of 16 British Mountains. A wonderful account of climbing 16 mountains in the UK with some thought provoking comments on different topics.

The First Book by a Favourite Author – Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance by Richard Powers. I am counting the days to his new book next year.

A Book You Heard About Online – Asymmetry - acquired via NetGalley and a wonderfully intelligent read.

A Bestselling Book – Manhattan Beach

A Book Based on a True Story – A Sea of Straw - I was asked by the author if I would read and review this - it had a ring of truth about it, so I asked her and she confirmed that, with a bit of poetic licence, it was indeed based on a true story.

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – A Crime in the Neighborhood - at the bottom by virtue of the fact that I misfiled it on my Kindle and forgot I had it for about 2 years.

A Book your Friend Loves – Sorry to Disrupt the Peace - inexplicably adored by several GR friends.

A Book that Scares You – Fever Dream - the most unsettling book I have read in a long while.

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old – Fahrenheit 451 - read in preparation for reading Tinderbox (mentioned above).

The Second Book in a Series – Into the Forest - Volume 2 of Danielewski’s The Familiar.

A Book with a Blue Cover – This allows me to finish with my favourite book of 2017 - Playing Possum.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 222 comments A Book with More Than 500 Pages – 4 3 2 1

A Forgotten Classic – My Face for the World to See

A Book That Became a Movie – The Eighth Day of the Week quite depressing Polish novel

A Book Published This Year – History of Wolves

A Book with a Number in the Title – Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty – no idea - and haven't read Elmet :-)

A Book with Non-Human Characters – Fables - lots of monsters, wind spirits, changelings etc

A Funny Book – The Pirate Who Does Not Know the Value of Pi quite quirky poetry book

A Book By A Female Author - Swallowing Mercury

A Book with a Mystery – The Thorn and the Blossom cool layout, so so story

A Book with a One-word title – Kerfol

A Book of Short Stories – Diary of a Madman and Other Stories

Free square – Between Here and the Yellow Sea - great collection of stories

A Book Set on a Different Continent – The Gate by by Sōseki Natsume - Asia

A Non-fiction Book – A Wind-Storm in the Forests nature book

The First Book by a Favourite Author – Metroland by Julian Barnes

A Book You Heard About Online – The River beautiful graphic novel

A Bestselling Book – The Rosie Project

A Book Based on a True Story – well the title should make it qualify ! Based on a True Story

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – The Time Traveler's Wife

A Book your Friend Loves – Fever Dream - It just didn't work for me...

A Book that Scares You – HHhH just scary how much can be in the balance in a few minutes

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old – At the Back of the North Wind - in the lovely Folio edition :-)

The Second Book in a Series – Critical Failures II: Fail Harder

A Book with a Blue Cover – Bee: The Princess of the Dwarfs nice fairy tale

message 7: by Meike (last edited Dec 29, 2017 04:44AM) (new)

Meike (meikereads) Great idea! Let's see...

A Book with More Than 500 Pages – For the sake of diversity, I name Booker contestant The Ministry of Utmost Happiness - tough to read for most Westerners (including me), as it requires a decent knowledge of Indian politics.

A Forgotten Classic – Sons for the Return Home, one of the very first novels published by a Pacific Islander, and probably the first book by a Samoan author – and this only happened in 1973!

A Book That Became a Movie – Fingersmith, although Park Chan-wook's movie transported the story to Korea.

A Book Published This Year – Pfff, let's stick with Korea and say Pachinko!

A Book with a Number in the Title – That's a trap! :-) A Brief History of Seven Killings, ha!

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty – Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge

A Book with Non-Human Characters – There certainly was no shortage of ghosts this year! Sing, Unburied, Sing

A Funny Book – Bonbon aus Wurst: Mein Leben - jazz musician Helge Schneider is hilarious.

A Book By A Female Author - H(A)PPY by Nicola Barker

A Book with a Mystery – House of Leaves

A Book with a One-word title – As everyone is referring to Winter, I say Autumn! :-)

A Book of Short Stories – Her Body and Other Parties from the NBA list

Free square – I hope The Line Becomes A River will find many readers after its publication next year.

A Book Set on a Different Continent – The Woman in the Dunes, a Japanese classic and set in Asia.

A Non-fiction Book – Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace

The First Book by a Favourite Author – Lincoln in the Bardo - George Saunders, what a guy!

A Book You Heard About Online – First Love, and I heard about it on this forum!

A Bestselling Book – I'm Off Then: Losing and Finding Myself on the Camino de Santiago (sold like crazy in Germany)

A Book Based on a True Story – Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood - a wonderful book.

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – The Confusions of Young Törless - and it should have stayed at the bottom of this pile - meeeeeeeh!

A Book your Friend Loves – Reservoir 13 - well, even the best of us are sometimes mistaken! :-)

A Book that Scares You – The Clocks in This House All Tell Different Times - extremely unsettling.

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old – Crash (which btw is also pretty disturbing! :-))

The Second Book in a Series – well, Regener reads from the whole Lehmann trilogy in his audiobook Sven Regener liest quer. Die Köln-Lesungen - let's just say that counts!

A Book with a Blue Cover –Mother Night

message 8: by Stacia (new)

Stacia | 59 comments More than 500 pages: By Gaslight

A Forgotten Classic: Conversations on the Plurality of Worlds

A Book That Became a Movie: The Razor's Edge

A Book Published This Year: All Our Wrong Todays

A Book with a Number in the Title: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty: ?? (not sure I read one of these this year)

A Book with Non-Human Characters: Clearvigil in Spring Clarivigilia Primaveral

A Funny Book: Carry on, Jeeves

A Book By A Female Author: Flaming Iguanas: An Illustrated All-Girl Road Novel Thing

A Book with a Mystery: Celine

A Book with a One-word title: Silk

A Book of Short Stories: In Ghostly Japan: Spooky Stories with the Folklore, Superstitions and Traditions of Old Japan

Free square: Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche

A Book Set on a Different Continent: Heart of a Dog

A Non-fiction Book: The Swamp Fox: How Francis Marion Saved the American Revolution

The First Book by a Favourite Author: Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

A Book You Heard About Online: White Tears

A Bestselling Book: Catch-22

A Book Based on a True Story: The Mission of Friar William of Rubruck: His Journey to the Court of the Great Khan Möngke, 1253–1255

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile: Head in Flames

A Book your Friend Loves: Skipping Christmas

A Book that Scares You: The Only Child

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old: The Summer Book

The Second Book in a Series: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

A Book with a Blue Cover: Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds: Notes from a Northwest Year (Lovely. Just lovely.)

message 9: by James (new)

James Pomar | 87 comments A Book with More Than 500 Pages – It

A Forgotten Classic – Moon Tiger

A Book That Became a Movie – It

A Book Published This Year – Homesick for Another World

A Book with a Number in the Title – Reservoir 13

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty – Elmet

A Book with Non-Human Characters – The Strange Library

A Funny Book – H (A) P P Y

A Book By A Female Author - A Line Made By Walking

A Book with a Mystery – A Pale View of Hills

A Book with a One-word title – Consequences

A Book of Short Stories – Homesick for Another World

Free square –

A Book Set on a Different Continent – The Unloved

A Non-fiction Book – Between the World and Me

The First Book by a Favourite Author – A Pale View of Hills

A Book You Heard About Online – The Angel of History

A Bestselling Book – It

A Book Based on a True Story – Lincoln in the Bardo

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – Jane Eyre

A Book your Friend Loves – Days Without End

A Book that Scares You – Between the World and Me

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old – Jane Eyre

The Second Book in a Series – Haven't read any of those

A Book with a Blue Cover – The Sparsholt Affair

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan Teder I mostly only lurk here to get tips about longlists & shortlists, but Reading Bingo was too much fun not to fill in. Thanks to all for their recommendations / reviews in the past year!

A Book with more than 500 pages: The Letters of Samuel Beckett: Volume 2, 1941-1956 (886 pages)

A Forgotten Classic: Madonna in a Fur Coat (Turkish from 1943, first-time publication in English 2016)

A Book That Became a Movie: The Death of Stalin

A Book Published This Year: Every Word Is a Bird We Teach to Sing: Encounters with the Mysteries and Meanings of Language

A Book with a Number in the Title: 18

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty: Stay with Me

A Book with Non-Human Characters: Memoirs of a Polar Bear

A Funny Book: Scrappy Little Nobody

A Book By A Female Author: The Power

A Book with a Mystery: The Hidden Keys

A Book with a One-word title: H(A)PPY

A Book of Short Stories: Homesick for Another World

Free Square: Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries, a Funny Book by a Female Author and which is Non-Fiction which I read about Online and which was loved by a GR Friend and which has a mostly Blue Cover.

A Book Set on a Different Continent: The Accusation: Forbidden Stories from Inside North Korea

A Non-fiction Book: Shakespeare and Company, Paris: A History of the Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart

The First Book by a Favourite Author: Dream Of Fair To Middling Women

A Book You Heard About Online: A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 1

A Bestselling Book: Artemis

A Book Based on a True Story: Doubting Thomas

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile: The Way by Swann’s

A Book your Friend Loves: The Angel of History

A Book that Scares You: At the Mountains of Madness

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old: Bel Canto

The Second Book in a Series: Righteous (Isaiah Quintabe No. 2)

A Book with a Blue Cover: Vee peal (On the Water), not in English, but the bluest cover this year.

message 11: by Tim (last edited Jan 03, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Tim | 65 comments Ok, here goes nothing...

A Book with More Than 500 Pages – The longest book I’ve read in 2017 was 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster, coming in at 866 pages, so I’ll go with that.

A Forgotten Classic – Maybe Hunger by Knut Hamsun? Not sure if that qualifies. It has not been a year of reading classics overall, let alone forgotten classics. I’ve finally gotten round to reading Mrs. Dalloway though.

A Book That Became a Movie – I have read the complete Dark Tower series by Stephen King, the first of which (The Gunslinger) has been made into a movie in 2017.

A Book Published This Year – Loads! I’ll go with A Line Made by Walking, one of my Books of the Year.

A Book with a Number in the Title – Since most have gone with 4 3 2 1 or Reservoir 13 – both of which I have read as well – I will go with 1979 by Christian Kracht. Thanks for making me read it, Julia and Meike!

A Book Written by Someone Under Thirty – I’ll have to go with Elmet as well. Although googling my way through my reading list, I have read quite a few authors between the ages or 30 and 35.

A Book with Non-Human Characters – The Dark Tower series has a talking train that short-circuits when it can’t figure out the answer to a dad joke. So yeah, that has to take the cake.

A Funny Book – Deutsches Theater by Benjamin von Stuckrad-Barre was a lot of fun. Not sure if there are any translations of any of his works, but there should be. He’s a genius!

A Book By A Female Author – Checking my list, 47% of the books I’ve read in 2017 were written by female authors. So just a random selection: A Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton.

A Book with a Mystery – I don’t read many mysteries, so The Changeling was one of only a handful.

A Book with a One-word title – Finally got round to reading Kindred by Octavia E. Butler.

A Book of Short Stories – Her Body and Other Parties was a strong contender for the National Book Award, and is still in the running for the John Leonard Prize for First Book by the National Book Critics Circle.

Free square – The End We Start From by Megan Hunter, a quick read I enjoyed a lot.

A Book Set on a Different Continent – Dark at the Crossing, contender for the National Book Award, is set in Syria.

A Non-fiction Book – Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow is fantastic! Go read this and Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari right now.

The First Book by a Favourite Author – Don’t really have an answer to this. But I have read a few debut novels, some very good (Montpelier Parade), others not quite as good in my humble opinion (Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine or English Animals).

A Book You Heard About Online – Quite a few this year! One I would never have found otherwise and enjoyed immensely was Gaudy Bauble.

A Bestselling Book – Lincoln in the Bardo is doing quite well, I believe. But I really don’t keep up to date with bookselling numbers.

A Book Based on a True Story – Finally read In Cold Blood, which I enjoyed.

A Book at the Bottom of Your TBR Pile – The Trial by Franz Kafka has been on my tbr forever, and I got around to it.

A Book your Friend Loves – My wife (yes, she’s also my friend) recommended Redeployment to me, and it was very good indeed.

A Book that Scares You - The Accusation: Forbidden Stories from Inside North Korea by anonymous North Korean author Bandi was terrifying.

A Book that is More Than 10 Years Old – Around the World in Eighty Days, a book I last read when I was a child.

The Second Book in a Series – Hidden Bodies, which comes after You. Not as good as the first one, but still a good read.

A Book with a Blue Cover – The cover of The Sparsholt Affair is pretty blue.

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliarainydayreading) | 1 comments Ooh, how I love lists! I couldn't resist...

1. A book with more than 500 pages: 4321 by Paul Auster
It's the longest of my reads this year at 866 pages (or 37 hours audiobook read by Mr Auster himself).

2. A forgotten classic: Hunger by Knut Hamsun
Is it forgotten? I wouldn't know. I heard about it for the first time this year in an anthropology class. (And yes, Tim got that from me.)

3. A book that became a movie: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
I didn't read any books made into films, but a couple which were adapted as TV series. In this case, I read the book after I watched the TV show, and have to say, the series was better and gave some more depth to the characters.

4. A book published this year: Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
This was my first read for the Man Booker Prize longlist 2017.

5. A book with a number in the title: Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamando Ngozi Adichie
I finally joined the club of admirers of Adichie's essays.

6. A book written by someone under thirty: Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
This is a poetry collection about femininity, loss, rape, surviving, love, and family.

7. A book with non-human characters: Do ghosts count? They're not really non-human, are they? (Then it would be Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders). I'll better go for droids: William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher.
This play retells the first Star Wars film as an Elizabethan style play in blank verse and gives voice to R2D2 beyond beeps and boops.

8. A funny book: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
Star Wars again – the hilarious and poignant last memoir by the last Princess Leia actor.

9. A book by a female author: Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
So many to choose from! 67% of my books read in 2017 were by female authors. This one impressed me especially.

10. A book with a mystery: If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio
Apropos Shakespeare: this murder mystery is set among drama students rehearsing the Bard's plays.

11. A book with a one-word title: Antigone by Sophocles
Read in preparation for Home Fire.

12. A book of short stories: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
Original, weird and queer.

13. FREE SQUARE:
Speaking of queer, I'm going for a graphic non-fiction introduction to Queer Studies here, which taught me a lot and is incredibly rereadable:
Queer: A Graphic History by Meg-John Barker and Julia Scheele

14. A book set on a different continent: In my case, I take that to mean neither Europe where I live nor North America.
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 1 by Ta-Nehisi Coates
This is the first comic in a reboot of Black Panther set in the fictional African state of Wakanda.

15. A book of non-fiction: Periods Gone Public: Taking a Stand for Menstrual Equity by Jennifer Weiss-Wolf
Very important and highly recommended for any human, not just those who menstruate.

16. The first book by a favourite author: Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
I didn't read any first books by authors I had already liked, so I picked this debut of an author I'll now follow.

17. A book you heard about online: Lucky Boy by Shanthi Sekaran
In 2017, I've started to read much more current literature. Often, I look at the Goodreads newsletter announcing newly published books to take my pick. This was my first choice last year for January 2017.

18. A best-selling book: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
An important book about racism and police violence in the US!

19. A book based on a true story: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
I had read this before, but last year I listened to the wonderful audiobook, read by Alexie. It's one of my favourite books by a Native American author.

20. A book at the bottom of your tbr pile: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Finally, ugh.

21. A book your friend loves: Days Without End by Sebastian Barry
One of Tim's and Meike's 2017 favourites (see above, though they didn't mention it in the Bingo).

22. A book that scares you: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
This feels too close to home. It's terrifyingly topical and not too impossible.

23. A book that is more than ten years old: Look Back in Anger by John Osborne (1956)
After Antigone (441 BCE) and Hunger (1890) my 'oldest' book this year. Not a year of classics.

24. The second book in a series: Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes
The sequel to You, and my only second book of any series this year. I loved these two novels about romantic and unhinged millenial serial killer Joe.

25. A book with a blue cover: Montpelier Parade by Karl Geary
Wonderful nostalgic and quiet book. Fitting cover.

message 13: by Andrea (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

Andrea (anjreana) | 2 comments Why not!

1. A book with more than 500 pages: 4321 by Paul Auster, I loved this book and was genuinely sad when it was over.

2. A forgotten classic: Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope, read this for my 96 year old bookclub and was pleasantly surprised - funny, intricate - a gem.

3. A book that became a movie: The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham. This was written a while ago and made into an pretty entertaining movie with Kate Winslet (Judy Davis stole the show though as her mother).

4. A book published this year: Solar Bones by Mike McCormack - this was on the Booker longlist last year - simple style which disguises the brilliance - thought about this one long after I had finished.

5. A book with a number in the title: 4321 and Reservoir 13 - both excellent.

6. A book written by someone under thirty: Hmmmm - Elmet I guess

7. A book with non-human characters: Stranger in a strange land by Robert A Heinlein - also a bookclub read. Set in the future but written in the 1950's - strangely prescient while also being one of the most sexist books ever! The main character was human but brought up by Martians - so I guess the Martians were in there somewhere.

8. A funny book: Reckoning by Magda Szubanski, the Australian comedian - funny in bits but also poignant and a bit sad.

9. A book by a female author: Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan. Engaging read - by the author of 'Visit from the goon squad' - completely different in every aspect, but still good.

10. A book with a mystery: The Dry by Jane Harper. First book by ex-Herald Sun journalist and a remarkable achievement. Very evocative of the landscape in which it is set and a great story.

11. A book with a one-word title: Gut by Giulia Enders, non-fiction very erudite rundown on how the gut works

12. A book of short stories: hate to say - none

13. FREE SQUARE:
The Rules of backyard cricket by Jock Serong - this was wonderful, a page turner but also such an Australian book, great setting, great dialogue - loved it.

14. A book set on a different continent: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

15. A book of non-fiction: Talking to My Country by Stan Grant - amazing book by indigenous writer and TV journalist writing about Australian indigenous history and future.

16. The first book by a favourite author: Ghost Empire by Richard Fidler, an Australian broadcaster, non fiction book about the history of Constantinople. Written after a trip there with his 14 year old son (and fellow history buff).

17. A book you heard about online: Leap by Myfanwy Jones

18. A best-selling book: The last painting of Sara De Voss by Dominic Smith

19. A book based on a true story: Tender is the Night F Scott Fitzgerald, what can I say - brilliant and tragic.

20. A book at the bottom of your tbr pile: Behind the beautiful forevers by Katherine Boo, devastating book of non-fiction but still barely believable to folk from the affluent parts of the world. Life in a Mumbai slum.

21. A book your friend loves: Light on life by BKS Iyengar - the 'Michelangelo' of yoga. Enlightening and surprisingly readable.

22. A book that scares you: Future home of the living God by Louise Erdich - lots of similarities to the The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood definitely feels too close to home.

23. A book that is more than ten years old: State of Wonder by Ann Pratchett - reading Commonwealth got me on to this.

24. The second book in a series: Early warning by Jane Smiley - love this series

25. A book with a blue cover: First Person by Richard Flanagan - reading this at the moment but started before Jan 1st!

message 14: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5580 comments Paul wrote: "

I have seen several book bloggers using this as a way to summarise their 2017 reading and reviewing. Anyone fancy having a go?"

In 2017 they have Book by a female author on a Book Bingo game?? A book by a cyborg would really be remarkable, or a book by bonobo chimp dictated in sign language would also be noteworthy, but a book by a female? How old is this game?